Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Endlessly by Kiersten White Review


Another series down!!   I am so happy that I am finishing all these series.  I originally read the first book Paranormalcy way back in my Young Adult Book Club.   I seem to start all my series books in that group! I enjoyed the first two but this one fell flat for me.  Here is the goodreads description:

Evie's paranormal past keeps coming back to haunt her. A new director at the International Paranormal Containment Agency wants to drag her back to headquarters. The Dark Faerie Queen is torturing humans in her poisonous realm. And supernatural creatures keep insisting that Evie is the only one who can save them from a mysterious, perilous fate. The clock is ticking on the entire paranormal world. And its fate rests solely in Evie's hands. So much for normal.

I have attempted to read this book two times before this.  When it first came out, but I didn't read it fast enough so I had to return it to the library.  Then again in November when a family emergency came up so I had to return it to the library again.  This time I did it!  I did start back over from the beginning because I was a little lost.  I really wanted to read these books because of the book covers.  I just love them, they are beautiful.

The story itself was only OK for me.  I just felt the main character Evie came across as a little annoying.  The supernatural spirits needed her help and she just had a huge fit because she wanted to do what she wanted to do.  That didn't include helping all these spirits. So we travel through the book and everyone keeps trying to get her to help them.. of course by tricking her.  So every time she was discovered she was tricked she would have a fit again.   I liked Evie more in the first two books.

This book is larger then a love triangle.. it's a .. well whatever a four person love mess is.  Lend, Reth, Jack and Evie.  There were a lot of other love interests in this book, but they were just so quick.  What were they even there for?  I think the humor in this book was too much and trying too hard.  I did enjoy seeing the Dark Queen and the Good Queen but even those were short story lines.  

Spoilers coming!!

So the book was a satisfying ending.. but I wonder if it was a realistic ending.  Why would two supernatural beings stay behind in our world?  I really think Lend and Evie should've went over to the other side. I don't really think it is that smart of Lend to stay in our world when he has to live forever.  What a depressing life.  Evie would get old, wrinkled.. I guess that Lend stops aging at some point?  (this is confusing and the author never lets us know why he is aging now but won't be again later).

END spoilers

Overall I was just disappointed in this final book in the series.  I will still read more of the author's work because I think she is a great descriptive writer.

The crystal ball says:




Rain is pouring...  Not sure if this was really worth my time, must get umbrella.
Reviews of the first two books:
Paranormalcy by Kiersten White
Supernaturally by Kiersten White



8 comments:

  1. Hmms sound like a pass for me..love the cover though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently read (or listened to the audiobook) of Supernaturally and although I really liked the first book, I thought Evie got pretty annoying in the 2nd book. From your review I'm sad to read that it doesn't seem to get much better. I might continue with this series just to get the last book done - it is nice to finish a series. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to finish a series too. Evie gets really annoying in this book. She doesn't want to do anything anyone suggests. If she doesn't come up with the idea she is not doing it.

      Delete
  3. I still haven't started this series, but glad that the ending was well done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does do a good job of finishing the series.. I wish it would've ended a little different though.

      Delete
  4. I own the first book but haven't read any in this series yet. I'm awful at finishing series. Evie being annoying would bother me I think, and all the love interests make it sound like everyone is in love with Evie. I'm not sure about this one, but I think I may at least give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to be bad about finishing series. Now I force myself to. The problem is they come out one year apart and one year later I am busy with other books. So I have to squeeze in series to get them finished.

      Delete