Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Comic Adventures Issue #54


read a lot of comics and rarely review them here on the blog. That's because I really don't have a lot to say for an entire post.  So I thought I would review several comics on one post.  I will still review graphic novels on their own now and then, but this is where I will talk about super-hero type comics (DC/Marvel) or sequels to some that I have already reviewed.


This issue I talk about Green Lantern Vol 1 Rebirth,  Wraith by Joe HillMs. Marvel, and The Vision Vol. 2.

This comic is amazing to me.  Green Lanterns is usually a good comic to me so I was excited to see where DC Rebirth was going to take it. I really enjoyed what Humphries wrote.  Two characters, Jessica and Simon are the main characters in this comic and their two different personalities had to learn to work together.  Maybe I really loved this comic because of Green Lantern Jessica.  She has an anxiety disorder and we get to read about her learning to over come it.  Simon and Jessica remind me of a normal person getting handed great power.  The other DC characters (Batman/Wonder Woman/Superman and so on) already have powers so we are just used to them knowing how to use them.  These Green Lanterns are new and making mistakes which makes them more relatable. I also REALLY enjoyed that the Red Lanterns were included in this book.  I like the Red Lanterns and read their whole series in the New 52.  We get to see more about Bleez and her back story.  I don't think the Red Lanterns are getting their own title in Rebirth so it's great to see them in this comic. 
5 out of 5

I was so excited to read this graphic novel.  It is based off one of the characters in Joe Hill's NOS4A2 novel. This is a dark comic.  Don't expect it to be uplifting or for kids.  I do think you need to read the novel before reading this comic.  I don't really think it's stand alone.  When I read people's reviews on this comic who haven't read the novel they are confused why the characters in the book are even doing what they are doing. This series isn't half as good as Hill's Locke and Key. The artwork is really good though and creepy.  There is a lot of dialog in this comic so get ready for a long read.  There is a section in the back that I skipped.  Yeah .. I admit it.  It was like a retelling of the comic but in more depth with no illustrations. I wasn't into rereading what I just read so that was odd. If you read it... let me know what it was even about.  I would love more graphic novel series from Hill. If you've read NOS4A2 this book will help launch your imagination and make that book even more creepy. 
4 out of 5

I have really enjoyed the Ms. Marvel comics from Marvel.  I'm not really a Marvel reader but this comic has been fun and easy to keep up with.. until this issue.  I had no idea if this was vol. 6 or what because if you look at goodreads it says issue 4 and it would seem it's vol. 9 in the Civil War series going on.  Dang cross-overs!  So apparently Ms. Marvel has been working with the Avengers? I guess and Captain Marvel wants her to use some sort of technology that lets superheroes arrest people before they commit a crime.  If they just think about it they get arrested.  Eventually Ms. Marvel isn't into this.  There is a fun side story with the new Spiderman and I haven't read any of his new stuff so that was fun.  I heard Marvel is relaunching again and it will be called Legacy so I don't know if Ms. Marvel will be around anymore ( she is from the Marvel NOW). I have a difficult time keeping up with the series in Marvel so let's hope Ms. Marvel continues. 
3 out of 5

I always knew who the character Vision was by name and look but not much about his backstory.  So when Marvel put out a Vision comic I was excited.  The first comic wasn't what I expected but I still liked it.  It basically takes places after Avenger's 2nd movie where Vision goes and tries to have a normal life with a cyborg family.  Volume 4 goes more into why vision ended up with this family and how they were build. We get to see Vision's history with Scarlet Witch which was pretty sad to see why they broke up.  There is a scene in this comic where the family goes out to dinner and orders food but tells the waiter not to bring it but they still want to pay for it.  Trying so hard to be normal. What really surprised me was that this is the last comic in the series  It was only 2 volumes.  That was really odd to me.  So where does Vision's story continue? Over in the Avenger comics?  And what is the title of those comics?  Again, Marvel confuses me. 

3 out of 5


This counts for 25 comics towards my 2017 Graphic Novel Reading Challenge



No comments:

Post a Comment