Thursday, November 3, 2011

1984 by George Orwell


I have always wanted to read this book but just never made the time.  Recently I was babysitting my cousin and finished the book I brought with me so I went through my aunt's drawer (yes a small drawer) of books and found this one so I picked it up and got started!  Here is the goodreads description:
Written in 1948, 1984 was George Orwell's chilling prophecy about the future. And while 1984 has come and gone, Orwell's narrative is timelier than ever. 1984 presents a startling and haunting vision of the world, so powerful that it is completely convincing from start to finish. No one can deny the power of this novel, its hold on the imaginations of multiple generations of readers, or the resiliency of its admonitions a legacy that seems only to grow with the passage of time

WAR IS PEACE.
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY.
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH.
This book was good... but sometimes too preachy for me. Part 2 went on and on when I was reading the parts that took place from the book that was given out. I will say I was surprised at the twist at the end about who was apart of the Party. I can see why some people love this book. If you are someone would is afraid the US is acting too much like big brother you will love this book. I can see why this book is still popular and has become a classic. Some section and lines really disturbed me! YOU. ARE. THE. DEAD. It is a very memorable book of what the world could become.

I still wonder though now that I am done is Big Brother really a man?  Did the Brotherhood really exist?  What do you think?


5 comments:

  1. Both Huxley and Orwell saw in their society a spark of something before it showed any widespread consequences, but which had a huge impact on the generations to come. What they feared came true for us. It's the observance and analytical skills for which I admire dystopian authors most.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book is what got me into dystopian novels originally. The idea is so messed up yet great!

    Preet
    A Written Rhapsody

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree... so glad I took the time to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was ridiculously long... I really liked part 3 though. And I guess I'm very into politics, so this was fun. I know what you mean by questions though- I can't help wondering if there is any hope. I mean, I'd like to believe that the proles and Middle Easterners can someday step up. Cool to see your thoughts!

    -P.E.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm hoping to read this as one of my mandatory readings over my summer holidays, and I'm so excited to see what I think about it- this is the second review of it I've read recently, and it definitely sounds quite different from how I imagined it would be (I don't think I've ever read the synopsis!), so it'll be so interesting to see how it actually is. I'm sorry to see you haven't been blogging much lately! Hope everything is okay and you come back soon. xx

    ReplyDelete