Monday, February 6, 2012

Wake by Lisa McMann-Review

I read Wake by Lisa McMann for my YA Book Club book pick for this month.  Here is the goodreads description:

For seventeen-year-old Janie, getting sucked into other people's dreams is getting old. Especially the falling dreams, the naked-but-nobody-notices dreams, and the sex-crazed dreams. Janie's seen enough fantasy booty to last her a lifetime. She can't tell anybody about what she does they'd never believe her, or worse, they'd think she's a freak. So Janie lives on the fringe, cursed with an ability she doesn't want and can’t control. Then she falls into a gruesome nightmare, one that chills her to the bone. For the first time, Janie is more than a witness to someone else's twisted psyche. She is a participant.

Personally I did not enjoy this book at all. I am glad it is as short as it is. I felt like the whole book was about Janie running from Cabel never giving the guy a chance to speak. She would just run from him. Like when Carrie told her that he was at parties with Shay and they both just assumed that Cable was smoking weed. If Carrie asked about him being there why couldn't she just ask if he was smoking?

I don't think the book took off till like the last 20 pages. Finally things started happening. All of a sudden an adult believed her.. so MAYBE the next books will be a better story about where the ability takes her. I am so glad this book was so short. And did anyone else notice most of the dreams Janie ended up in had sex. Maybe boys are always dreaming about sex... but I don't remember me dreaming about it all the time in high school.

I did like the lady who died in the nursing home (forgot her name) who helped Janie learn what to do with her ability. I thought that part of the story could've been explored more. Sometimes I found the book confusing, I don't know if it was the sentence structure, the way the time kept being put in (12:45, 1:35), or like there was this one part where it was a conversation between Cabel and Janie that was written Cabel: blah blah Janie: blah blah, Cabel: blah blah. I don't know what the writing changed to that? (it was when they finally starting talking things out).

The idea of the story was a good idea.. but I just think that the end came so quick.. the reveal of what Cabel was really up to just popped up and then was over. I felt like what we were waiting for should've been bigger then a drug bust. Did this book really need a trilogy? This probably could just be one big book.

The child abuse in this book is NUTS! Anyone else think that?  I recommend skipping this book!



No comments:

Post a Comment