Monday, July 27, 2015

Comic Adventures Issue #26


I read a lot of comics and rarely review them here on the blog. That's because I really don't have a lot to say for an entire post.  So I thought I would review several comics on one post.  I will still review graphic novels on their own now and then, but this is where I will talk about super-hero type comics (DC/Marvel) or sequels to some that I have already reviewed.

This issue I talk about Nightwing Vol. 5 Setting Son, Guardians of the Galaxy, Harley Quinn Vol 1 Hot in the City,  and Justice League vol 6 Injustice League.

 I have really liked the Nightwing series.  So I was really sad to see that this was the last issue.  There is a new Grayson series that follows him as a detective of sorts... but it won't be the same. If you are reading the Batman comics then you know that Dick Grayson is known as being dead and is undercover for Batman as a spy.  There were a few story just mixed in here which was confusing. We get to see the Mad Hatter, Mr. Zsasz, thought the stories just seemed filler.  As for Nightwing's death that stems from Forever Evil, which I didn't end up reading so I was a little lost there.  It's a bummer that I have to go and read a completely different comic book to see what actually happens to the title character.  I mean... if this whole comic is about Nightwing dying and becoming someone else I think we should be able to read about why that happened. I liked the mixture of Batgirl into this volume.. the old school Batgirl before the new revamp.  4 out of 5



I keep trying to read Guardians of the Galaxy but am never able to find volume 1. I read this book... and could tell I was jumping into the middle of a story that had already begun.  When I finished I went on goodreads to add it to my read pile and then discovered that it was volume 2 of the complete collection.  Um... ok.  Well it was still really good I thought even though I was jumping into the middle.  I am going to probably pass though on reading any more of these since I really don't know what volume I am on.  I think I've read three volumes already. Since I am not really a Marvel reader I enjoyed learning a little but more about the Inhumans. I don't have a lot of other Marvel comics to compare this to... but I enjoyed meeting a lot more of the Guardians that I hope might appear in other movies.  3 out of 5






I have started liking Harley Quinn more and more these past few years.  I used to think she was just super corny.  I think Suicide Squad comics is one of the things that really got me interested in who she is.  So when she got her own comic book series I couldn't wait to read it.  I liked it a lot.  At the beginning there are many comic artists who jump in and get a page where they draw her in different styles.  I love art so I thought this was really neat! There really is no big plot going on here.  There are a few stories of her just mixed in here.  Quinn has a fun relationship with Poison Ivy in this book too.  It makes me want to have them as girlfriends minus murder and mayhem. The end of the book has some sort of odd ball story of an robotic man wanting revenge on some old enemies and she helps him out.  That was kind of eh.  I am mixed about this comic but will for sure go and read the second volume. 4 out of 5







 The final comic we talk about this week is Justice League vol. 6 Injustice League.  I would like to thank DC and Edelweiss for a free review copy for an honest review. This volume continues on with the Crime Syndicate story line from the previous volume where Lex Luthor came in and saved our world. He knew there was something bigger out there so he created a virus to take care of this... unfortunately the virus is let loose. Meanwhile Luthor is doing everything in his power to become part of the Justice League.  He even discovers the identity of Batman because of the revelation of who Nightwing is.  Captain Cold plays a big role in this comic too and I have really enjoyed seeing him because he is the CW show Arrow and is about to get his own show.  I think the Justice League is a strong story and hope it continues that way. 5 out of 5





This counts for 32 comics towards my 2015 Graphic Novels Challenge!!







No comments:

Post a Comment