Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Comic Adventures Issue #47


read a lot of comics and rarely review them here on the blog. That's because I really don't have a lot to say for an entire post.  So I thought I would review several comics on one post.  I will still review graphic novels on their own now and then, but this is where I will talk about super-hero type comics (DC/Marvel) or sequels to some that I have already reviewed.

This issue I talk about Wytches Vol. 1Ms. Marvel Vol. 5,  The Mighty Thor vol. 1, and Darth Vader Vol 2.


I tend to find out about new and different comics from the Graphics Novel Challenge I participate in every year. This was one of the comics I saw someone on there review. The story is about Wytches... nasty things that live underground. The Wytches eat children who have been marked by their familes. Sometimes the art was hard to follow.  There was the pencil and there was some ink mixed in so I didn't always know what was going on.  Though that did help with the creep factor.  The end of the book was pretty unbelievable to me.  But I do want to read the next volume.  Oh speaking of next volume... who knows when that's coming out.  I wish I had known before starting this that the next Wytches isn't in the works at all yet.  Who knows when?  The story is the same old horror you find every where else though so don't expect a new witch story.  Do you ever find when you read reviews it starts to change your point of view of a book you read? That happened to me with this book... what I thought was fantastic was actually just another horror story.   I started reading other reviews and realized it wasn't such a great book! 
3 out of 5


Page from Wytches

Ms. Marvel is a series I really enjoy. This issue though kind of is a crossover.  What I mean by that is something happened with Kamala Khan in another issue where she joins the Avengers.  I'm not sure what happens during that time because well.. it's in some other issue. That's ok though... what I like about the Ms. Marvel comics is we get to deal with Kamala's real life.  Her crush Bruno has found another girlfriend since Kamala is so busy and Aamir (her brother) is getting married. I love Kamala's relationship with her brother, it's so funny. In this volume a real estate company comes in to take over her neighborhood.  We find out later that it's HYDRA. There is another fun story line in the book where Kamala is so burned out that she tried to make a clone of herself on a 3D printer and then chaos comes.  I don't think Ms. Marvel has lost any of it's charm yet.  The writing is still young and mainstream.  I can't wait for the next issue!

5 out of 5


Let's be honest, after Thor Vol. 2 I wasn't going to keep reading. I just didn't love it.. but apparently I put this one on hold without remembering so when it came into the library I went ahead and read it.  And really enjoyed it.  I'm not sure why it's not volume 3?  I guess it's 'The Mighty Thor' now?  So we are back to volume 1?  Whatever.  So we all know now that Jane Foster is Thor right?  Well I hope so. Apparently she has cancer and every time she picks up Mjolnir (Thor's Hammer) her cancer gets worse.  Chemo won't help at all because the Hammer pretty much erases everything the treatments have done. Odin has gone crazy because he believes the Hammer belongs to him and some girl has it.  The Elvish world is introduced in this comic so I look forward to seeing more of it in the next volume. I like that Marvel has put cancer in their comic.  I think most people know someone who has cancer, even children know someone.  So I think everyone can relate to that part.  There is only about 200 ratings on goodreads so I'm not sure how many people are really reading this series. 
4 out of 5


I don't know... I'm not totally in love with the Star Wars comics yet. I've given plenty of them a go.  I almost didn't finish this one.  Luckily I checked someone's review on goodreads which explained what was going on and I continued.  So Vader now knows Luke is his son and still tries to find him.  Vader continues to build a droid army by stealing supplies from the Empire.  Vader gets another inspector following him around which is odd to me because why would Vader even put up with that. This comic also visits Naboo, bleh.  Some flashbacks of the prequels.  Honestly, I don't know if I'm going to continue on with this comic. I thought it was going to be way more evil (this was the problem I had with the Maleficent movie, they made her into a good guy). There is this side character in the book (see her on the cover?) and that confuses me because she gets a lot of the plot for her own story and this is supposed to a comic about Vader!  It's like the writers just didn't have enough ideas to come up with a great story about Vader.
1 out of 5

This counts for 57 comics towards my 2016 Graphic Novels Challenge.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment