Monday, December 5, 2011

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky -Review


I finished this book pretty fast.  I read it because it was my YA Book Club's pick for the month of December.  Here is the goodreads description:
What is most notable about this funny, touching, memorable first novel from Stephen Chbosky is the resounding accuracy with which the author captures the voice of a boy teetering on the brink of adulthood. Charlie is a freshman. And while's he's not the biggest geek in the school, he is by no means popular. He's a wallflower--shy and introspective, and intelligent beyond his years, if not very savvy in the social arts. We learn about Charlie through the letters he writes to someone of undisclosed name, age and gender; a stylistic technique that adds to the heart-wrenching earnestness saturating this teen's story. Charlie encounters the same struggles many face in high school--how to make friends, the intensity of a crush, family tensions, a first relationship, exploring sexuality, experimenting with drugs--but he must also deal with the devastating fact of his best friend's recent suicide. Charlie's letters take on the intimate feel of a journal as he shares his day-to-day thoughts and feelings: "I walk around the school hallways and look at the people. I look at the teachers and wonder why they're here. If they like their jobs. Or us. And I wonder how smart they were when they were fifteen. Not in a mean way. In a curious way. It's like looking at all the students and wondering who's had their heart broken that day, and how they are able to cope with having three quizzes and a book report due on top of that. Or wondering who did the heart breaking. And wondering why." With the help of a teacher who recognises his wisdom and intuition, and his two friends, seniors Samantha and Patrick, Charlie mostly manages to avoid the depression he feels creeping up like ivy. When it all becomes too much, after a shocking realisation about his beloved late Aunt Helen, Charlie checks out for awhile. But he makes it back to reality in due time, ready to face his sophomore year and all that it may bring. Charlie, sincerely searching for that feeling of "being infinite" is a kindred spirit to the generation that's been slapped with the label X.


Wow... this book was not a good book to me at all! I don't get why people have loved it so much. I just don't know why people love this book? This book is not that great to me. I don't really know what it is that people love about it. Yea there is a lot of controversial stuff in it, but there is a lot in other books too. Maybe I am too old to get this book? But I don't remember having these feelings in high school. The book is written in such a odd point of view and you don't find out why till the very end but I thought this made the book hard to read. I really don't think this book deserves to have a movie made next year but I suppose since the author is some type of director/writer of course it is going to be made. It seems like people either love or dislike this book and I dislike it!! 

Hoping the movie is better then the book!


2 comments:

  1. I intended to read it for Banned Books Week and failed...it's really interesting that people either love it or hate it. I'll have to read it soon, now I'm really curious to see where I'll stand :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one I haven't read yet, but I remember when I was in upper elementary through high school, people seemed to really love it.

    I'm pretty curious to give it a go and see which camp I fall into...

    ReplyDelete