Friday, February 24, 2012

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline -Review


I picked up this book because I saw that it was getting talked about everywhere.  And I love video games so the name of the book sucked me in too.  Here is the goodreads description: 

Year 2044 is an ugly time. Like most of humanity, Wade Watts escapes grim surroundings jacked into OASIS, a sprawling virtual utopia that lets you be anything you want to be, a place where you can live and play and fall in love on any of ten thousand planets. Wade dreams of being the one to discover the ultimate lottery ticket that lies concealed within this virtual world by OASIS creator James Halliday. Fiendish puzzles will yield massive fortune--and remarkable power--to whoever can unlock them. At the first puzzle, the whole world is watching. Thousands of competitors join the hunt--some willing to really murder. But he may have to leave behind his oh-so-perfect virtual existence and face up to life--and love--in the real world he's always been so desperate to escape. Are you ready?

Wow! What a fun journey this book is.  I love how the book is full of video games, movies and pop culture!  Though I think that if you don't enjoy these things you would still enjoy the book.  It really gets you thinking about what the world will be like when we have used up all our resources.
Most of the time people "live" in a virtual world... which today I think the only games comparable would be World of Warcraft or the new Star Wars game.  What fascinated me was that when you were in the OASIS you could visit million of worlds.  Some were replicas of Dungeon and Dragon games!!  I play D&D so I think it would be so fun to go onto one of these worlds and play it in 3D!

The book did remind me a little of Snow Crash and I liked that book a lot too.  But I am sure not every book can be 100% a new idea. I kinda wish the book would've had pictures to go with the plot.  So many games and album covers are mentioned.  I would love to see what some of them looked like while reading.  I just want to go through the book and make a list of all the movies and video games being played and play them myself!!! 

Check out all these different covers:










5 comments:

  1. Wow those are such cool covers! I can't believe there are so many and I'm glad you enjoyed the book!

    By the way, you asked what hover was on my blog, and it basically is where when you scroll over the word with your cursor, it changes colors and it underlines. I think it varies for every blog, but it's just a way to draw attention to something if you scroll over it. I don't really know if that's the technical term for it, but that's how I like to refer to it. Hope that helped!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks!!! I am going to try out Hover!!! Just to see what it does on my blog!

      Delete
  2. That would be neat if they cover art of movies, music and other books were inside this book LOL. I LOVE the red and black cover and the one with the "stacks". Freaking amazing. I think anyone could enjoy this as well but really some people just aren't into that sort of thing so it might not even appeal to them so it wouldn't have the same "cool" factor as it did for us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book!!!! It is just amazing. He came to Denver to do a book signing when it came out and paperback and I didn't go. BOO HISS!! I don't remember why I didn't either. He even drives a DeLorean and had it here in town.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WHAT! And you MISSED that! What is wrong with you! LOL j/k

    ReplyDelete