Wednesday, June 15, 2016

A Woman's Guide to the Wild by Ruby McConnell

Title: A Woman's Guide to the Wild
Author: Ruby McConnell
Pages: 304 pages
Published: March 15th 2016 by Sasquatch Books
Source: Library
Links: goodreads,

For women who enjoy hiking, camping, backpacking, and other outdoor recreation or those inspired by Cheryl Strayed’s Wild, this is the definitive guide to being a woman in the great outdoors. This friendly handbook covers the matters of most concern to women, from “feminine functions” in the wilderness to how to deal with condescending men, as well as the basics of wilderness survival tailored to women’s unique needs. It includes gear lists in addition to advice for camp setup, fire building, food and water, safety, weather, and navigation.

I love outdoors. I could be outdoors all the time but unfortunately not everyone I know wants to be outdoors too.  So I only get out every so often. This book inspired me to get out way more.  I read it in one sitting. This book is for women who have all range of skills in the outdoors.  From beginner to advanced. Technically the book is more for those who are beginners.  Like how to start a fire, pack your backpack, and set up a tent.  Honestly I had no idea there was a way to pack a backpack.  The illustrations are so neat throughout the book (see the backpack one below).


The book includes check lists for different types of outdoor events. I'm kind of obsessed with lists so this was a page to copy out of the book for sure. There is a whole section on understanding maps. Topographical maps are kind of hard to read, if you have never tried check one out to just see what I mean. McConnell tries to help people understand those maps.  I thought this was one of the most important sections of the book.  Depending on how serious you are about getting lost in the wilderness this could really help you.  The places I go I usually only need my phone's GPS but someday I hope to get farther out in wilderness.


There was a section on a bunch of different recipes to cook in the outdoors. This is nice because the times I have been camping we have basically cooked just burgers, hot dogs, and whatever else goes easily on a frying pan. Then I get massive heartburn the next day.  One of my favorite parts of the book was a section on different apps that are out there for people who love outdoors.  I found a couple of hiking apps that are free and helped me already discover some places for me to go.


I recommend this book to everyone (yes even men) who likes to go outdoors.  I wish I wasn't so nervous about going camping or hiking on my own.  But I just feel that it is safer to go out with someone.  You hear so many stories of people hurting people that honestly I wouldn't even bother going alone.  Gift this book to the ladies in your life.


No comments:

Post a Comment