Friday, June 24, 2016

Throne of Glass by Sarah J Maas

Title: Throne of Glass
Author: Sarah J Maas
Pages: 404 pages
Published: May 7th 2013 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens 
Source: Owned
Links: goodreads


In a land without magic, where the king rules with an iron hand, an assassin is summoned to the castle. She comes not to kill the king, but to win her freedom. If she defeats twenty-three killers, thieves, and warriors in a competition, she is released from prison to serve as the king's champion. Her name is Celaena Sardothien. The Crown Prince will provoke her. The Captain of the Guard will protect her. But something evil dwells in the castle of glass--and it's there to kill. When her competitors start dying one by one, Celaena's fight for freedom becomes a fight for survival, and a desperate quest to root out the evil before it destroys her world.

I have been meaning to read this series for years. I am so glad though that I waited since most of the books in this series are finished (I think there is one more). I thought this was a fantastic fantasy story. I really cared about the characters.  The book covers the plot quite well too.  The politics, religions, history, everything was in this novel.  I didn't feel though like the information was forced on the reader... it went into the story flawlessly.  The main character is Celaena Sardothien, and 18 year old female assassin. She is captured and it in a prison camp.  She is then recruited to become the King's Champion but competing with some of the strongest men in the Kingdom.  If she wins...she will become the King's assassin for 4 years and then be free.  If she loses she'll be sent back to prison. While this contest is going on Celaena discovers some ancient evil magic in the kingdom that must be stopped.

The romance in this book is really good.  It's a love triangle but not one.  Meaning the three don't all love each other at once.  Everyone is honest and doesn't fight each other for love.  It is done quite well. I am hoping in the next book that there is more background on these main characters.  I would love to know where they all come from.  I like that she likes boyish things and girly things.  It reminds me of myself.

I am hoping that we get more of the assassin of Celaena in future books.  The one scene in the book when she was supposed to become all badass things happened to where she couldn't go all out. I really wanted to read about her being like the guy in the video game Assassin's Creed.  I really read mixed reviews on this book so I think you either like it or don't like it.  No in between.   I think the book was fun, fast-paced, and just a good read.  If you are looking for something with a serious assassin this is not the book.  Can't wait for the next one!

Reviews of other books in the series:
Crown of Midnight

No comments:

Post a Comment