Monday, April 3, 2017

Comic Adventures Issue #51


read a lot of comics and rarely review them here on the blog. That's because I really don't have a lot to say for an entire post.  So I thought I would review several comics on one post.  I will still review graphic novels on their own now and then, but this is where I will talk about super-hero type comics (DC/Marvel) or sequels to some that I have already reviewed.

This issue I talk about Justice League Vol. 8,  Wonder Woman vol. 9, The Flash vol. 9, and Catwoman Vol. 8.

So this is the end of the New 52's Justice League. I really did enjoy the run of this comic.  It's fun to me when a group teams up... for example my favorite book in the Lord of the Rings trilogy is the first one because the whole team of characters are traveling together. The end of the Justice League comics has us reading a part one and part two of the Darkseid War.  The problem I had with this comic is the whole Crime Syndicate part. That was the big story in the New 52 and I never found the comics to read all of that story.  So here in this comic the Crime Syndicate is back and the Justice League has to team up with them. There are quite a few surprised in this book which made the war fun to read.  The art I really enjoyed too. The author Geoff Johns has moved on from comic books and now works on the DC movies.  Hopefully that means that he is trying really hard to make the Justice League movie be amazing.  The trailer just came out and I'm looking forward to the film.  I'm glad that the Justice League will get a new story arc in Rebirth. 
4 out of 5

I also read the end to the New 52 Wonder Woman series.  I really enjoyed the start of this comic.  Vol. 9 continues the story of Zeke, who is technically Zeus reincarnated as a baby.  Wonder Woman has been trying to protect Zeke all through this series. I liked that this comic goes back to the Greek story.  We get to read about even a new character Hecate who was really a great villain. The artwork is great.  In the story Wonder Woman has to go and find a few items to give to Hecate to help save Zeke so we get to see London, Tartarus, and some spots in Olympus.  I miss the writing of Azzarello but Finch did a good job trying to finish off the Wonder Woman New 52. I enjoyed seeing Wonder Woman making tough decisions on where she needs to keep her loyalties in this book.  Wonder Woman Rebirth #1 is featured at the end of this volume but I didn't read it because I want it to be a surprise when I read Rebith vol. 1. 

4 out of 5

Finishing out Flash New 52 is Full Stop. So the last comic pretty much finished up the whole Zoom story line so I'm not sure we really needed another comic in the Flash's new 52. So Barry's father/captain wants Flash off the streets since he thinks he's a menace to society.  But what he doesn't know is Flash is Barry. The Rogues get brought in to help capture the Flash.  I do like the Rogues!  Captain Cold, Mirror Man, and some I didn't know.  There is a great villain behind all of the trouble.. urging the police force on to hunt Flash.  I'm not going to give spoilers but the person behind it all was a big surprise to me!! Flash New 52 was really my introduction into the world of Flash.  I loved the artwork especially in the earlier issues. I thought the stories were usually pretty funny.  I'm actually sitting here writing now writing this while watching the Flash on CW.  I've grown to just love that character. There is a Flash #1 Rebirth issue in the back but again I waited to read it. 
3 out of 5

This is the Catwoman I've been wanting to read about for a long long time.  Selena went off into some dumb story lines about the Crime Syndicate and then became the boss of gangs or whatever... and now she is finally just a thief. She's hunting down a diamond, getting revenge on other villains, fighting with Black Mask and White Mask!  It's just great.  And the artwork.. I loved it so much.  Great detail.  I loved that the art showed a lot of detailed backgrounds which I don't think most comics utilize.  I even enjoyed the two side stories at the end of the comic that are about Black Mask.  I typically hate side stories that have nothing to do with the main story.  I'm not sure what is going to happen with Catwoman in Rebirth.  I'm not sure if she'll have her own title but she's such a popular character that I'm pretty sure she will though it's not a launch title.  If you didn't read Catwoman read the fist ones in the New 52, skip the middle of the series and just jump to the end. 

5 out of 5



This counts for 13 comics towards my 2017 Graphic Novel Reading Challenge


No comments:

Post a Comment