Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Comic Adventures Issue #52


read a lot of comics and rarely review them here on the blog. That's because I really don't have a lot to say for an entire post.  So I thought I would review several comics on one post.  I will still review graphic novels on their own now and then, but this is where I will talk about super-hero type comics (DC/Marvel) or sequels to some that I have already reviewed.

This issue I talk about Batman Vol 10New Suicide Squad Vol. 4, Wonder Woman: The True Amazon, and Aquaman vol. 1 Rebirth.


Epilogue finishes out Batman's New 52 run (well... at least this Batman there are quite a few Batman titles in New 52). There is a Future's End story at the beginning which I dislike.  A lot of New 52 comics squeezed in Future's End stories and I've never enjoyed those.  It did seem after reading this that perhaps Batman should've stopped in volume 9 since this one was kind of filler.  It has a couple of little stories that give nods to Batman.  In one of the stories there is a power outage in Gotham.  Batman runs around trying to find out what the source is and what bad guy is behind it.  He runs around the city looking everywhere but it turns out (spoiler)  it is just a power outage.  Then Batman says.. he will always be waiting for what is to come to Gotham. (end spoiler).  This was the end of the comic.  I like this closing.  Nothing big and fancy just that Batman will always be around.  There was a Rebirth vol. 1 for Batman but I didn't read it since I want to be surprised by the whole Rebirth Volume. 
3 out of 5


I swore I was done with Suicide Squad from the New 52.  But then I couldn't stop reading it.  The good news is that this was really good compared to the other ones.  I do think though that this lost it's following.  Looking at Goodreads there is one review on it.  It brings in a lot of the team from the movie which might have been to bring in more readers but I think it was too little too late. I this issue Harley thinks a group of people are out to help them get freed from Amanda Waller and so they all follow this new group only to find out it's a trap.  This crazy guy sets up an event similar to the Hunger Games. There were some new characters introduced that I hadn't heard of before and that was refreshing. Captain Boomerang and Deadshot have some great chemistry in this too.  It's just too bad the good issue came at the end of the run.  Again there was a Rebirth preview which I didn't read.  I was excited though to see that Suicide Squad is a Rebirth launch title.  I should get it from the library soon.
5 out 5 


I'm sorry but I just don't get all the great reviews for this comic.  I think maybe if I was a 10 year old girl I would've liked this book.  It seems like that is who this book is written for, but then I was confused because there is one part where Wonder Woman uses the word Bitch so I'm not sure if this is a young adult book???  I'm not really into the artwork either. I appreciate the style but I like my comics to be more realistic art. The author Thompson wrote and illustrated this book. I did like the lessons the story taught, but Wonder Woman is portrayed not how I ever imagined her.  The story tells of Diana being a spoiled brat, a princess who gets everything.  The story retells everything you thought of Wonder Woman's origins and I had a hard time with that. Instead of Wonder Woman being good for the sake of being good, this comic tells a story of a mistake that Diana made and that she feels like she need redemption for it.  I like that Diana was always good because that was her spirit.  I don't think this was a terrible book, I just didn't feel there was a need for a retelling of Wonder Woman's origin story.
2 out of 5

Aquaman Vol. 1 for Rebirth was really good.  Though I will say it's the same story Aquaman always gets.  Trying to get the Atlanteans and the land dwellers to get along, poor Arthur always having to have to try to do this.  This time though he has built an embassy which was a good idea till it wasn't.  There is an attack on it which makes the Atlanteans look bad. I didn't realize that this comic was going to have anything to do with the New 52 but it is mentioned about Aquaman's brother Orm who flooded the coast of the USA.  Which is why the USA still has a hard time trusting the Atlanteans. The one part about the comic that did bother me was when Superman makes an appearance and basically threatens Aquaman telling him to get his people together and to watch out if he doesn't.  Are they not friends?  I haven't read the Justice League Rebirth yet so maybe there are tensions there. The book also points out that Aquaman is seen as a funny guy by the public mainly because he talks to fish.  That is kind of funny after I typed it but I don't think it makes him a strong character if this bothers him.  Strong characters to me don't care what people think of them.
                                                        4 out of 5

This counts for 17 comics towards my 2017 Graphic Novel Reading Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment