Saturday, March 3, 2012

Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith -Review


Ever since I heard of this book I have been dying to read it.  I mean just look at that cover! WOW!!  But it was at the back of my TBR pile.   Then of course the movie is coming out soon so I pushed this book up to be read immediately.  I hate watching movie before reading the book.  I prefer the movie to be spoiled rather then the book.  Here is the goodreads description:

Indiana, 1818. Moonlight falls through the dense woods that surround a one-room cabin, where a nine-year-old Abraham Lincoln kneels at his suffering mother's bedside. She's been stricken with something the old-timers call "Milk Sickness." "My baby boy..." she whispers before dying. Only later will the grieving Abe learn that his mother's fatal affliction was actually the work of a vampire. When the truth becomes known to young Lincoln, he writes in his journal, "henceforth my life shall be one of rigorous study and devotion. I shall become a master of mind and body. And this mastery shall have but one purpose..." Gifted with his legendary height, strength, and skill with an ax, Abe sets out on a path of vengeance that will lead him all the way to the White House. While Abraham Lincoln is widely lauded for saving a Union and freeing millions of slaves, his valiant fight against the forces of the undead has remained in the shadows for hundreds of years. That is, until Seth Grahame-Smith stumbled upon The Secret Journal of Abraham Lincoln, and became the first living person to lay eyes on it in more than 140 years. Using the journal as his guide and writing in the grand biographical style of Doris Kearns Goodwin and David McCullough, Seth has reconstructed the true life story of our greatest president for the first time-all while revealing the hidden history behind the Civil War and uncovering the role vampires played in the birth, growth, and near-death of our nation.

I liked this book. The concept is great!  I love Lincoln anyways since I share a birthday with him.... so anything about him I always give a chance to.  I always love books that have a twist to history.  This one even includes historical pictures that have been changed a little to go with the story.  Sometimes the book fell flat for me though.  There were times where the book got a little boring but then the next page picks right back up.  I find it interesting that the whole reason Abe starts the Civil War is to get rid of vampires!

Here is the trailer for the movie:



I can't wait!!  I really hope it's good.  I think it will be much more exciting then the book.

1 comment:

  1. I don't really know what to think about the book and the movie. I want to see the movie, but you're right about reading a book first. Perhaps I'll push it further on the list :)

    ReplyDelete