alice grass

Top Secret Twenty One by Janet Evanovich - Review

Thursday, June 4, 2015
Title: Top Secret Twenty-One
Author: Janet Evanovich
Pages: 305
Published: June 17th 2014 by Bantam
Source: Library Ebook
Links: goodreads, Evanovich.com
Trenton, New Jersey’s favorite used-car dealer, Jimmy Poletti, was caught selling a lot more than used cars out of his dealerships. Now he’s out on bail and has missed his date in court, and bounty hunter Stephanie Plum is looking to bring him in. Leads are quickly turning into dead ends, and all too frequently into dead bodies. Even Joe Morelli, the city’s hottest cop, is struggling to find a clue to the suspected killer’s whereabouts. These are desperate times, and they call for desperate measures. So Stephanie is going to have to do something she really doesn’t want to do: protect former hospital security guard and general pain in her behind Randy Briggs. Briggs was picking up quick cash as Poletti’s bookkeeper and knows all his boss’s dirty secrets. Now Briggs is next on Poletti’s list of people to put six feet under. To top things off, Ranger—resident security expert and Stephanie’s greatest temptation—has been the target of an assassination plot. He’s dodged the bullet this time, but if Ranger wants to survive the next attempt on his life, he’ll have to enlist Stephanie’s help and reveal a bit more of his mysterious past. Death threats, highly trained assassins, highly untrained assassins, and Stark Street being overrun by a pack of feral Chihuahuas are all in a day’s work for Stephanie Plum. The real challenge is dealing with her Grandma Mazur’s wild bucket list. A boob job and getting revenge on Joe Morelli’s Grandma Bella can barely hold a candle to what’s number one on the list—but that’s top secret.
I love this series about Stephanie Plum, the private investigator.  Honestly though.. the series kind of repeats itself with her love life/home life so really you can start reading here and still feel caught up with the series (if you read like books 1-5).  I read this book without even realizing that I had accidentally skipped the book before this one.  Oops.  I went to goodreads and that's where I realized I had missed it!  I will go back and read it for sure. For those who haven't read these books before they are really fast reads and kind of just fluff.  But every now and then I like to mix that into what I'm reading. If you look at my review for Notorious Nineteen I feel the same now as I did then... Stephanie should just grow up.  She needs to pick a man, find a job, get a house.. get some stability! But at the same time I keep going back to these stories. The only reason I can think that this series is still being written is because it is still selling.  Looking through other reviews we are all saying the same thing... the writing is just repeating itself.  But every time I say that I am going to quit the series I pick up the next book.

I read this as an ebook ... I am reading along seeing that I am at about 89% finished, I turn a page and BOOM the book is done. WHA??  Turns out that the other 11% is a preview of another one of Evanovich's book.  That was annoying and I felt this book ended abruptly.  Evanovich is writing several series now and it makes me wonder how she even has time to write Plum books.  Well the lack of new plot probably makes it easy for her.  As usual everyone complains about this book but keeps reading the series and I am totally in that club.  Guess I'll be reading the next book.


Ranger from the movie One For the Money


3 stars


divider

7 comments:

  1. I have heard so much about this series, but have never read it! I can imagine it would be hard to keep writing inventive mysteries after so many books, it is too bad though that the series quality has been going down a bit. I do want to read the first one at least to see what the series is all about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so funny that you mention everyone complaining about the series but keep reading it. My wife is one of those. She used to be a huge fan but now reads these begrudgingly because she can't not finish a series. At least you know you are not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah... the series has gone downhill ... only because it is constantly the same story for the characters. They have developed as better people at all. Life is just the same... I am not sure how much time has passed since the first book. Could be a year to years to a month. I just can't tell!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is totally me! Honestly as I was reading this one I had no idea that I had accidentally skipped book #20. I haven't decided if I am going to go back and read it or not. I'm thinking I probably won't and just move on to #22.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know you though. You'll go back and read it just so you have read the whole series.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © 2014 Angela's Anxious Life
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs