Monday, June 22, 2015

Comic Adventures Issue # 24


I read a lot of comics and rarely review them here on the blog. That's because I really don't have a lot to say for an entire post.  So I thought I would review several comics on one post.  I will still review graphic novels on their own now and then, but this is where I will talk about super-hero type comics (DC/Marvel) or sequels to some that I have already reviewed.

This week's issue I am going to chat about the new Batgirl Vol. 1 DC, Batgirl Vol. 5 Deadline, The Graveyard Book Vol. 2,  and Aquaman Vol. 5 Sea of Storms.


I love the New 52 Batgirl series prior to this one.   It has been one of my favorite of the DC comic story lines.  So I have NO IDEA why it needed to be revamped.  I am guessing that they are going for more of a young girl market to read this series now.  The cover itself would attract young girls. Batgirl is now more of a young adult... just starting college.  She is into selfies, online dating, college, and all that.  The bad guys in this comics are nuts!  One is like some sort of disco queen who wants to be just like Batgirl, one is a computer program, a couple are some cosplayers.  It is just kind of like nice bad guys... ones that children wouldn't be scared of.  That's the feeling I got from this comic.. not really written for adult readers.  I don't know.. maybe DC wanted to get a series out there that would attract a younger reading crowd into the comic world. DC said this wasn't a reboot... um.. yes it is.  It TOTALLY is.  3 out of 5
Thank you to Edelweiss and the publishers for a digital arc.

Next up... is a Batgirl from the new 52 series (before that new one above). This is the Batgirl I love.  The comic was a bunch of different stories mixed in. It was a little disjointed but I thought I was able to follow along. I think it was like this because Simone was trying to wrap things up for her run as the writer.  One of the stories I really liked was one about vampires and I would like to see other comics that might have that story in it. I think the Batwoman vol. 5 has the vampire stories in it too. The main story through all Batgirl comics has been a Knightfall storyline and it is wrapped up nicely.  I am really sad that this is the last Batgirl written by Simone.  The artwork is also something I have really loved in these comics.   I also miss the Birds of Prey comics which is Batgirl and her team.  They had a few scenes in this comic so I enjoyed that.  4 out of 5





I loved the novel of the Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman, so when I found out it was going to be in graphic novel form I was super excited.  I checked out Volume 1 and thought it was great.  Such a good telling of the novel without really leaving out much.  There was one artist whom I just loved like last time.... but several artists are mixed in the book so I didn't get to enjoy their art for long.  I don't even know the name of the artist who I like the most since they are all mixed in and it confuses me.  I will say of course that you should read the novel first, which is amazing.  This was one of the better adaptations of a novel to a graphic novel that I have read.  I was so sick of all these books becoming graphic novels and they were just awful renditions. 3 out of 5


I have really loved the Aquaman comics.  Volume 5 has a new writer on board... which is kind of a bummer because I was loving the story so far.  Though.. most of that story was a Justice League crossover. In Volume 5 Sea of Storms we have a few story lines going at once like in the other volumes. Aquaman is still trying to be King of Atlantis trying to find respect from the residents of Atlantis. There is a high school reunion in the town Arthur Curry is from which is humorous. There is a crossover with Swamp Thing.  I never had an interest to read Swamp Thing but after reading about him in this comic I am actually interested in picking up his comic. Wonder Woman was brought into this issue so it adds a little Justice League to the mix.  All in all I enjoyed this comic and think Aquaman is still a strong DC title. 5 out of 5






This counts for 24 comics towards my 2015 Graphic Novels Challenge!!










11 comments:

  1. Thanks for your thoughts on the differing Batgirls. The newest remake does sound like one geared for a much younger audience. I want to read more Batgirl in general though - gotta see what I can find!


    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still need to read my earc of Batgirl and it is my first taste of the series! So, I guess I won't be judging it against anything, but a little sad to hear it is geared more on the young side.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that will be good that you haven't read the ones before the newer Batgirl series. I would recommend going back and reading one of those though .. since I like them better. I look forward to seeing what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah.. the new Batgirl wasn't bad.. it's just that it was really for a younger crowd. I appreciate that DC is trying to attract younger girl readers to the comic. I will say though that I don't think boys/men will enjoy it. It really was super girly unlike the current Batgirl comics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the Graveyard Book, too, and definitely need to check out the graphic novel! And it's interesting to see that the two Batgirls series are different.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read the new Batgirl too, I thought it was pretty good, more in line with todays tech which was nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The two Batgirls are sooo different. I don't know why DC won't call it a reboot. It's odd actually. I will continue to read the new Batgirl to see where it goes. Maybe it will pick up... we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was way more inline with technology.. perhaps going back to Batgirl's roots which are very technical. We really didn't see that in the first 5 volumes of Batgirl in the new 52.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Batgirl is cool. I never really got Aquaman.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Aquaman after New 52. Geoff Johns did the impossible and made him so badass. I'm a few books behind but I will catch up soon. I now can't wait to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those Batgirl comics look pretty neat- I am more inclined to try the first one, simply because I like the cover/lookm of the art style more, but I think I might check and see if my library has both! That'd probably be the best option to go with.
    Oh yay for The Graveyard Book- I never (yet) have gotten to volume 2, although I own volume 1. I do really like that they have different artists for each chapter, but I agree, also, because I didn't personally like all of them and could have had the whole volume drawn by just two. It was interesting, though, definitely.
    xx

    ReplyDelete