Monday, February 18, 2013

Fables : Volume 1 Legends in Exile by Willingham



I love graphic novels!  But I don't know a lot of people who read them... so I look around the internet for recommendations for a good one. I recently saw (and I am sorry I didn't save the link) a recommendation for a series called Fables.  It is similar to the show Once Upon a Time.. where characters from the fairy tale world are transported into our world.  Here is the goodreads description:

When a savage creature known only as the Adversary conquered the fabled lands of legends and fairy tales, all of the infamous inhabitants of folklore were forced into exile. Disguised among the normal citizens of modern-day New York, these magical characters have created their own peaceful and secret society within an exclusive luxury apartment building called Fabletown. But when Snow White's party-girl sister, Rose Red, is apparently murdered, it is up to Fabletown's sheriff, a reformed and pardoned Big Bad Wolf (Bigby Wolf), to determine if the killer is Bluebeard, Rose's ex-lover and notorious wife killer, or Jack, her current live-in boyfriend and former beanstalk-climber.

I had to pick up this book when I found out what it was about!  This is not for kids though... it's not all wrapped in a box.  There is murder, smoking, sex.. and all other kinds of sins! So yes it is about our favorite fairy tale characters.. but for adults!  It wasn't as good as I thought it was going to be though.  I wanted more... fairy tale I guess.  We only get glimpses of what happened to these characters and why they are in the modern world.  The whole story follows the murder of Rose Red, which kinda started to drag for me.  I wanted to see more of others.. and everyone seemed to have a bad story.  Also... I guess I never cared for Rose Red so that probably didn't help.   I have noticed that Fables is also compared to the Sandman by Neil Gaiman and I just could never get into that series AT ALL!



This series has the potential to be a great series.  Lots of stories to build off of.  So I will give the second volume a chance to see if it can go the limits I think it can be.   I really want to love this series so I will for sure give it a second chance. 

One thing I would like to say that I always like to say, is that if you have not tried to read a graphic novel get out there and do it! Too many people look past these as books that aren't good but they can be amazing!!

The crystal ball says:
Rain is pouring...  Not sure if this was really worth my time, must get umbrella.

No comments:

Post a Comment