Monday, June 8, 2015

Comic Adventures Issue # 23


I read a lot of comics and rarely review them here on the blog. That's because I really don't have a lot to say for an entire post.  So I thought I would review several comics on one post.  I will still review graphic novels on their own now and then, but this is where I will talk about super-hero type comics (DC/Marvel) or sequels to some that I have already reviewed.

This issue I talk about DC Universe VS Masters of the Universe, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Vol 3 Black Dossier, Wonder Woman Vol. 5 and Superman/Wonder Woman vol. 1.

First up DC Universe VS Masters of the Universe.  I really enjoyed this comic.  I love love all thing He-Man.  So when I saw this was out I couldn't wait to read it.  It has a villain (I won't spoil it for you but it's a He-Man character you wouldn't expect) who is working with Skeletor on Earth to capture it.  So He-Man heads to Earth to find Skeletor and of course runs into the Justice League.  The Justice League becomes controlled by Skeletor's magic so there is a big battle.  A lot of DC characters are in this comic, villains and heroes. Constantine is in this comic a lot and it really perked my interest in reading his comics. No She-Ra in this issue but I am guessing she will come back in He-Man vol. 3. 5 out of 5



Next up The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Vol. 3 Black Dossier. Why did I continue in this comic series?? WHY??  If you've kept up on my comic reviews you know I really loved vol. 1, vol 2 feel off but at least it still had the cool characters that Alan Moore had been using (literary characters/historical characters mixed up in the comic).  This one was just BLAH. We follow two of the characters from the first comics who apparently won't die and are getting younger???  The go to the old base and steal their Dossier.  Half the comic are like books that we have to read.  Entire sections that aren't the comic genre but long stories about who knows what.  They didn't seem relative to the story though I know probably if I had taken the time to read them I would've had more background.  The story was just them running around with this Dossier with really no purpose on where they were going.  Then at the very end of the comic they end up with this really WEIRD character and end up in a world I couldn't understand.  Then I started to think about it and the pictures and the coloring used made it look like it was supposed to be 3D. So I googled it and sure enough the whole end of the book was in 3D but I didn't have 3D glasses since I checked the book out from the library.  Disappointing. 1 out of 5.  

 I am enjoying the Wonder Woman comics soooo much!!  She is my favorite all time super hero and has been since I was a little girl. What I am enjoying the most is the mythological side of Wonder Woman is showing up in her comics.  The Justice League side of her is found in other comics... so this really is her own story.  There is still a battle for who is going to be lord of Olympus ... Apollo, the First Born??? Wonder Woman also takes her spot as God of War, or will she continue that???  I love the art in this series!!  I think eventually DC is going to cut in and add some other DC comic stories in.  For right now this series can be read as a stand alone without the readers having to have to read a bunch of other DC comics along with it. I read there is going to be a new writing team and a new artist so I am guessing that is going to happen after Vol. 6.  I hope they do as good of a job.  5 out of 5.




Superman/Wonder Woman was a comic I wasn't too sure about.  I have always been in the Batman/Wonder Woman camp... so that is a comic I would like to read.  Alas we have Superman and Wonder Woman.  I do enjoy it though because my husband's favorite superhero is Superman and mine is Wonder Woman so that does make it kind of cute.  The artwork in this comic is stunning.  I loved it.  The story was good too.  Basically we see these two try to balance love and saving the world. Wonder Woman doesn't mind if the world knows they are dating, and Superman of course wants to keep it all a secret. The Wonder Woman comics are mixed into this one with Apollo and Superman not getting along.  That is a neat fight to read about.  Honestly I am looking forward to see where this series goes.. started off great!  5 out of 5




descriptiondescription



This counts for 20 comics towards my 2015 Graphic Novels Challenge!!





8 comments:

  1. I had no idea that The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen had a third book. I might just focus on the first one. haha

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are actually four books in that series... but I am not even going to bother with the fourth one. I am so surprised that series is popular!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So Superman Wonderwoman was good. I've been Leary of this one as well. I don't like them dating. Superman should be with Lois and Wonder Woman with Steve Trevor. The whole premise seems off to me so I have avoided this. Maybe I should give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What Superman gets with Wonder Woman? I mean I guess that makes sense, but I never really thought about it. I'm just getting into comics lately too and they are a lot of fun! Thanks for your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I mean... it's good. A little odd... really it's just some superhero stories mixed in with a romance. Where I will be most interested in seeing what happens with this is in the Justice League comics. I think we already saw a little of it in the last one but really how do the other members feel about this. Will it cause drama in the group???

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL!... Yep... Superman is totally with Wonder Woman. I remember when I first heard about it I was like what is going on??? The comic did work for me though so I am happy about that. Love that you are getting into comics! So fun... I look forward to reading your reviews on the ones you enjoy the most.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, I have totally got to read The Superman-Wonderwoman comic. That sounds like it would a. be amazing, b. looks so neat and c. I want to read it. Nice story that those two are you and your husband's favourite superheroes, even if not paired up as a couple are they your favourite pairing.
    Yay. Comic recommendation for me! Have you gotten the last Fable yet? I was holding out for your review of it here! (:

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have the last Fable on hold at the library. Also.. I requested it from Edelweiss so I might get it from there before I get it from the library. I am sad it's the last one but at the same time looking forward to it. It probably won't be on the next comic post but the one after that. Keep an eye out!! I just love comics... they are like short stories to me. Sit down and finish in an hour.

    ReplyDelete