Saturday, April 23, 2016

Comic Adventures Issue #40


read a lot of comics and rarely review them here on the blog. That's because I really don't have a lot to say for an entire post.  So I thought I would review several comics on one post.  I will still review graphic novels on their own now and then, but this is where I will talk about super-hero type comics (DC/Marvel) or sequels to some that I have already reviewed.

Honestly... I can't believe Comic Adventures has published 40 issues!! I mean... WOW! I've read a lot of comics. Every time I say I am going to quit reading comics a new one comes into the library and I get super excited and read it. This issue I review The Flash Vol. 7 Savage WorldHe-Man Eternity War Vol. 1,  Batgirl Vol. 2 Family Business,  and Batman/Superman Vol 4 Siege.




I have really enjoyed the Flash comics in the New 52. This comic was entertaining.  Savage World refers to the speed force world.  Berry Allen flew through a rip in the time to the speed force world that has robots, dinosaurs, savages, and a jungle.  Back in the real world... our time.. A future Berry has come to correct all the mistakes his current Berry made.  For example, not catching a certain villain who kills a lot of people.   The future Berry thinks by killing these villains he will save the world. The two story lines worked together pretty well.  There is even a page that mixes the two Flash in one drawing with similar things happening to both of them.  so half the page is red Flash and the other half is blue Flash (the future Flash has a blue outfit).   A great classic Flash villain shows up leading into the next volume.  I am super excited about this villain since they are currently being explored in the Flash CW show. The end of the book has a great origin story about Flash, what happens to his mother and father and how he receives his powers.  

5 out of 5 


These He-Man comics are so great!!  She-Ra being badass is like my dream come true.  The art is great.  The snake race looks really cool. Hordak has now taken over Castle Greyskull.  So He-Man, She-Ra and Teela have to fight him to get it back.  Teela is now the Sorceress... a snake sorceress. The comic explains more about the sorceresses in the world of He-Man.  I had no idea there could be different ones. There were two huge rubies that used to sit in the eyes of the skull on Castle Greyskull that have a lot of power so everyone is a in a race to find them. Skeletor makes a new appearance in this comic... in a humorous way.  I actually laughed out loud.  His character is explored a lot more in the comics.  I love when villains tell us why they are villains. These comics are so fun.  I'm afraid Eternity War vol. 2 is going to be the last in DC's revamp of He-Man.  I'm so disappointed in that.  This series deserves so much more love.  

5 out of 5




I almost didn't read this comic because I couldn't stand Batgirl vol. 1.  I just thought it was so immature.  Yes... I know they were going for a teen audience but it was just too far.  I like Batgirl a lot though so I thought I would give it another go-round.  I am glad I did.  I ended up enjoying this volume like a Saturday morning cartoon. So in another DC comic Batman is killed off (OK yeah that's a spoiler but comics are like soap operas, he won't stay dead.  A whole new series will come along and kill him/bring him back... blah blah). Anyways... Batman dies so Gordon decides to be Batman. So that story line is kind of short... I thought it would be most of the comic. BUT... the comic is like crossover after crossover.  Grayson shows up, Gotham Academy, the new Black Canary series (where she's a rock star), and so on.  Honestly though.. this is a series DC needs to just let go.  And with the whole DC Rebirth coming out I am sure this is one comic that is going to go to the side.  I think the new Batgirl is called Batgirl and the Birds of Prey Rebirth and I am looking forward to Batgirl being mature again. Oh wait... I just looked it up and there is going to be a stand alone Batgirl.  But it won't be apart of this series and I'm glad. 
2 out of 5


I have enjoyed the Batman/Superman series a lot.  This comic was fun to me.  There was some really good artwork in this too.  Very creative pages. The story is about a phantom zone baddie coming to earth and getting superman to lose his powers and be just a human.  The weapon the villain uses really surprised me.  I didn't know if it was funny or serious.  I laughed... I'll admit it.  Superman has a new "flash power" that can take out Doomsday's fires.  So when he uses it he loses all his powers for like 24 hours.  So he and Batman have to team up and figure things out.  Then... we meet Superman's Joker. I am not really sure this guy measures to Joker... that name is too far!  No one can live up to Joker. I've never read Future's End but the end of this volume includes a story from that universe.


4 out 5





This counts for 29 comics towards my 2016 Graphic Novels Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment