Thursday, February 18, 2016

Comic Adventures Issue #36


read a lot of comics and rarely review them here on the blog. That's because I really don't have a lot to say for an entire post.  So I thought I would review several comics on one post.  I will still review graphic novels on their own now and then, but this is where I will talk about super-hero type comics (DC/Marvel) or sequels to some that I have already reviewed.

This issue I talk about: Star Wars: Darth Vader ,  Batman and Robin vol. 7,  Green Lantern vol 6, and Superman/Wonder Woman Vol . 3.



I've been quite excited to get my hands on the new Star Wars comics ever since I heard about them. Apparently this is now canon in the Star Wars universe. This comic takes place right after A New Hope.  This comic really allows you to get to know Vader way more then you ever will in the movies.  This comic covers the aftermath with Darth Sidious after the disaster of the Death Star.  Darth Vader is now in trouble so the Emperor sends a trooper to follow Vader around and keep an eye on him. Vader of course has his own little mission going on (trying to figure out who the pilot was that blew up the Death Star) so we get introduced to some new characters that are going to help him out.  One is a young girl who is quite smart with Driods, Dr Aphra.  There are also two new murderous droids.  Yes, murderous blood thirsty droids.  The book was good but we'll see how long Vader can keep a line of comics going with his own story. 

3 out of 5

Ok.. so I had to go back and see what happened in the volume before this one and to my surprise I didn't have volume 4 or 5 marked as read nor had I reviewed them here on the blog.  Who know why?  So I went on goodreads and marked them as read. This volume was pretty fun.  For those following this storyline you know that Damien was killed off. In volume 6 Batman finds out that Damien is taken to Apokolips and follows Damien there in the Hellbat suit. Darkseid shows up here and battles it out with Batman.  There is a great and fun team up with the Justice League.  I am sorry to see that this series was canceled and I am pretty sure this is the last volume.  Damien Wayne has been fun to read about it.  I really really enjoyed this volume. I love that Damien's dog Titan was even along for the adventure, even traveling to Apokolips.  There was like a side-story in this volume about Damien and Batman in space and they took on these aliens on the moon. Fabulous!  I was way into it and the artwork was just great!  The entire Bat family shows up in the comic as well and it's fun to see them working together as a group.
5 out of 5
Finally... a Green Lantern that was amazing!  The story flowed along perfectly unlike the previous two volumes that were just way way too long. The New Gods have come to our universe because they know this is where Darkseid is going to attack because Darkseid is obsessed with Earth.  Be warned... the Lantern comics are crossover mayhem. This one though wasn't as confusing as some have been.  I like that we get to see all the rings represented in this comic... including the black!  Black Hand is so funny to me. The art is really great. Apparently there is a story I am missing here about Godhead (see these dang crossovers) so I need to go and find that one.  Plus this is right before the whole Convergence story starts .. I need to read that too.  Damn you DC giving me so much to read.   I am trying to get my library to order all the Convergence comics though before I get started on any of them.  I don't want these half stories.  Anywho... I thought this volume was fun and a good story. 

5 out of 5

I like this series.  We get to read about Wonder Woman and Superman first meeting.  That was fun. The villain in the book is basically a kid who lost his parents in one of the Darkseid invasions.  He blames the superheroes which makes it easy for Circe to take control of him to get revenge on Wonder Woman for the things her mom did.  Geeze, now that I think about it everyone is taking revenge on everyone who had really didn't mean to do anything. The artwork is only so-so and the cover is terrible.  I like that all artists get a chance but this one was meh for me.  The faces weren't great inside, though the inside illustrations look way better then that cover. The book is also all about relationship goals.  Can Wonder Woman and Superman trust each other and count on one another???  The love story continues.  I am sad to see that DC is relaunching again.  I'm sure in the next relaunch Wonder Woman and Superman won't be together.

3 out of 5  

This counts for 13 comics towards my 2016 Graphic Novels Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment