Friday, August 3, 2012

Wicked Business by Janet Evanovich- Review

 

I love the Plum series... so when Ms. Evanovich started another series I was in!!  I also love the cover you see above... if you had the book in your hands you would see that it sparkles!   Here is the goodreads description:
Whether it’s monkey business, funny business, or getting down to business, Janet Evanovich’s Lizzy and Diesel series proves that there’s no business like Wicked Business. Lizzy Tucker’s once normal life as a pastry chef in Salem, Massachusetts, turns upside down as she battles both sinister forces and an inconvenient attraction to her unnaturally talented but off-limits partner, Diesel. When Harvard University English professor and dyed-in-the-wool romantic Gilbert Reedy is mysteriously murdered and thrown off his fourth-floor balcony, Lizzy and Diesel take up his twenty-year quest for the Luxuria Stone, an ancient relic believed by some to be infused with the power of lust. Following clues contained in a cryptic nineteenth-century book of sonnets, Lizzy and Diesel tear through Boston catacombs, government buildings, and multimillion-dollar residences. On their way they’ll leave behind a trail of robbed graves, public disturbances, and general mayhem. Diesel’s black sheep cousin, Gerwulf Grimoire, also wants the Stone. His motives are far from pure, and what he plans on doing with the treasure, no one knows . . . but Lizzy Tucker fears she’s in his crosshairs. Never far and always watching, Grimoire has a growing, vested interest in the cupcake-baker-turned-finder-of-lost-things. As does another dangerous and dark opponent in the hunt—a devotee of lawlessness and chaos, known only as Anarchy. Treasures will be sought, and the power of lust will be unmistakable as Lizzy and Diesel attempt to stay ahead of Anarchy, Grimoire, and his medieval minion, Hatchet, in this ancient game of twisted riddles and high-stakes hide-and-seek.

I really didn't like the first book in this new series, Wicked Appetite.  I mean I only gave it two cats!  I hated that Carl the monkey was back from the Plum books.  I just thought that book was all over the place.  And too similar in the writing to the Plum series.  But I decided to give the second book in the series a go.  Especially since the one thing about Evanovich's writing is that her books are short and sweet, funny and always put me in a good mood.  I am actually happy after I read one.  So it came in from the library and I devoured it! 

I like how this is Evanovich's fantasy series.  I have always thought of fantasy to be like the Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones, type books.  But this has just enough mystery and "powers" to make it a cute little fantasy.  Reading through the reviews on goodreads I see that it is getting a lot of complaints.  I understand ... like I said the first book was awful but I bet if I read it again right now in the mood I am in I would love it!!  haha!  I love how we are finding these seven deadly sins stones and it makes me want to find out about the other 5 stones!  But I will say again that this is the same writing from Evanovich as the Plum series.  We've got the side kick - Glo (aka Lula), the boss Carla (Vinnie) the hunks Wulf and Diesel (Ranger and Morelli) Hatchet is the comedian which is similar to Grandma.

I recommend it to Plum fans... too bad though the monkey has to be in the books!


No comments:

Post a Comment