Sunday, October 27, 2013

The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey- Review


I have been kind of in a reading slump.  Reading a lot of graphic novels and putting books aside.  This month in my Young Adult Book Club we are reading The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey.. so I forced myself to start this book so I could participate and I wasn't disappointed.  Here is the goodreads description:


After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one. Now, it’s the dawn of the 5th wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth’s last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, Cassie believes, until she meets Evan Walker. Beguiling and mysterious, Evan Walker may be Cassie’s only hope for rescuing her brother—or even saving herself. But Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up. 

Lately I haven't really read any Science Fiction so I was excited to discover this was in that genre. I was happy to read about Aliens instead of vampires and fantasy. I like that this book had several POVS.  Ever since reading Legend by Marie Lu I have been excited to read books with different POVs.  I noticed a lot of reviews saying they didn't like this .. and found it hard to follow who was talking in the POV but I didn't have a problem (plus I read that in the audio book the POVs have different voices to help out with this).

 I will admit there was a point there where Cassie and Evan got a little too much screen time. There little going back and forth back and forth was too much. I know it was for the romance int he book but come on.. too much! After this I thought the book got back on track. The romance section in the book just made the book stop in it's tracks!!! I will say... I am a little annoyed about the possible love triangle that might happen. It might even be a four person love mess! Hoping that doesn't really happen.


For those that have read it (spoilers to come) Personally I enjoyed trying to figure out what the 5th wave would be. I wonder.. will there be more waves? Wouldn't it be something if this was a book that actually has a sad ending... like the human race doesn't win. I suspect though the series will end with us both co-existing. I think the waves are a smart way to take over the human race. The aliens are trying to keep as much of the planet in tact and don't want us destroying it to destroy them... so I think they are trying to invade quietly.

I think it might be hard to cohabit with humans because the Others could never really reveal who they are... the humans would probably get mad that they have taken over their family members body. Evan is technically both human and the alien... but the alien is really now speaking and making the decisions. It would be hard for me at least to accept this.

I have no idea how I would've acted during the 12 days the alien spaceship was above the earth. That was one of my favorite parts of the book. Reading the descriptions of the news reports and how people were reacting. Some going on with their lives... some going to Disney, some panicking. The wave that bothered me the most was the one with the virus. It would be so hard seeing all the people in the world just dying and there was nothing you could do. A terrible painful death too.


End Spoilers

I am excited about the movie coming out... the 5th Wave Movie website  is pretty cool.  You should check it out if you haven't yet. 

 
 I look forward to reading the second book, The Infinite Sea.  It would seem to me that either people liked this book a lot.. or didn't really like it at all.  What did you think???


The crystal ball says:





Clouds are covering! A read that lets me down every now and then but peaks out of the clouds!

16 comments:

  1. I loved The 5th Wave! And I'm glad it helped you get out of your reading slump :)
    Haha, I quite liked Cassie and Evan. Even when things turned messy/weird (Evan was quite a stalker), I still cheered for these two. So the ending really killed me.
    I don't always like multiple POVs, but Yancey really pulled them off, imo.
    Hm, I think it'll end with the two "races" co-existing on Earth, too. Or at least that's the kind of ending I'd prefer, I think.

    *goes to check that site out* Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just know YA doesn't usually end sad... so I figure we'll just all co-exist somehow. Isn't that how the Host ended? I didn't read the book but did see the movie.

      Delete
    2. Yes. Where The Host ended, it looked like things were going to that direction. Btw, the book is so much better than the movie, just saying :)

      Delete
    3. I think this book will go in that same direction as far as the ending goes. Maybe we will travel off earth though... that would be something!

      Delete
  2. I was planning to read the book, but I read so many negative reviews about the romance that I changed my mind. Plus, once I knew what the 'fifth wave' was, well.... no point in finding out, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow.. someone spoiled it for you? Well that is a bummer. But I would still read it... the 5th Wave is revealed pretty early on.

      Delete
  3. OOoh nice review! Skipped the spoiler section! Thanks for those notices!! I am looking forward to reading this myself! And excited for the movie! Multiple POV's don't bother me all that much. Hoping to get to this fairly soon...ish...maybe!

    Again, nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this one to read so I really hope I'll like it! Multiple POV does put me off sometimes, but since most of the bloggers I know liked it, I think I won't be disappointed. And I didn't know that a movie is in the works - how exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that there are so many movies based off YA books. I know some people are sick of it, but I love it when a movie is made from a book I've read.

      Delete
  5. I've been trying to decide if I should read this, so I didn't read the spoilers. It does seem like it's a love or hate book for most people. But I'm glad you liked it enough. Plus, I almost never think a book has too much love story so that shouldn't bother me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have noticed people love it or hate it. I like books that are action packed and this one is. I heard today that the rights to the movie was sold BEFORE the novel was published. Which is probably why it reads like a movie.

      Delete
  6. I recently reviewed this book on my blog. Gave it 4 out of 5 stars. Like the other readers out there, I had a hard time figuring out who's POV I'm in. At first it was okay cause I knew I'm on Cassie's head but after that.. it was confusing! Good for you, you had the audiobook. Great review :) I'm glad to hear this book got you out of your reading slump.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About to check out your review now... I still don't remember there being a chapter in Sam's point of view. But I guess there was!! That is how confusing the POVs are in the book!

      Delete
  7. I didn't know there was going to be a movie. I think this will make a pretty good one. You know I have to say I was right smack dab in the middle. I didn't love it but I didn't hate it. I just thought it was ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know.. I was thinking about this book the other day and can't remember a lot of it. Maybe that says something. I haven't heard anymore about the movie so I don't know if it is still happening or what?

      Delete