Sunday, November 17, 2013

Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo- Review


I am glad to finally have read book 2 in the Grisha trilogy. Honestly though it's been a year and a half since I have read Shadow and Bone the first book.  I was wondering why when I first started reading I couldn't remember anything, then I went on goodreads and saw how long ago I read it!  
Here is the goodreads description:


Hunted across the True Sea, haunted by the lives she took on the Fold, Alina must try to make a life with Mal in an unfamiliar land. She finds starting new is not easy while keeping her identity as the Sun Summoner a secret. She can’t outrun her past or her destiny for long. The Darkling has emerged from the Shadow Fold with a terrifying new power and a dangerous plan that will test the very boundaries of the natural world. With the help of a notorious privateer, Alina returns to the country she abandoned, determined to fight the forces gathering against Ravka. But as her power grows, Alina slips deeper into the Darkling’s game of forbidden magic, and farther away from Mal. Somehow, she will have to choose between her country, her power, and the love she always thought would guide her--or risk losing everything to the oncoming storm. 

I enjoyed this book... though it took me a while to figure out what was going on. Luckily wikipedia has a recap of the book that helped me out.  I love how the author is so good at detail.  Detail of the environment that helps me feel like I am really involved in the story. You have to like a book full of plot though.  I know some people don't care for this so this is not the book for you.  I was surprised that the book started out with Alina and Mal on their "escape" adventures and that didn't last long.  BOOM we were sucked back into the world of the King and the Darkling.  I only say this because they first book led us up to the escape being so big and then it happens and is only a few pages long.

There was a lot of relationship drama in this book.  Alina has issues with three men now, The Darkling, Mal, and Nikolai.  While I didn't want to enjoy this drama.. I kind of did.  This book includes a lot of new gadgets.  A flying ship.. yes please! There is a pirate in this book that adds a lot of great scenes. I like that the author was able to add another main character and it wasn't a waste.  Some books I've read add a character and I am like... ughhh we could've done without them. I want to know more about the Darklings past though.  I thought for sure we would get that in this book.  I feel like we didn't get very much about him though.  Not that I cared because the author does a great job of making my mind go somewhere else during the book.

I was surprised at the end of the book with the way things turned out.  I don't know what I was expecting but it wasn't that... which is good.  I like to be surprised! I like that a lot of the characters from the first book were brought back it's nice to see people team up again.  There are more mythical creatures added in this book that give it such an interesting turn.

Ruin and Rising the third book in the series is supposed to be out next June.  I hope I don't forget as much this time around.  Yeesh.  Maybe it's because there are so many details that my mind just gets full. I am guessing the next book is going to be all about the Apparat.. plus I mean we can all guess who Alina is going to be with in the end.  Though I always cheer for the bad guy!

I guess not I am going to read the two short stories that accompany the novels.  The Witch of Duva (Girsha 0.5) can be read here.  Looks like The Tailor (Grisha 1.5) can be found here. 
The third short story, The Too Clever Fox (Grisha 2.5) can be found and read here. 
Enjoy!

The Cover for The Too Clever Fox is pretty amazing by the way!  I just love it!



The crystal ball says:





Clouds are covering! A read that lets me down every now and then but peaks out of the clouds!

My review for book 1 Shadow and Bone can be found here. 

9 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed Siege and Storm! I think the ending was pretty surprising too - I didn't expect things to seem so bleak! But that only means the last book will probably wreck me with the feels. I am looking forward to it! I haven't read the shorts for some reason, you've reminded me I need to pick those up soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice that the short stories are free on the internet. Though they look like fairy tales that have nothing to do with the actual books. But we'll see.. I should get to them tonight.

      Delete
  2. I love witch of duva..and siege&storm was soo good..plus leigh bardugo is an awesome prrson irl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I met her in 2012 at the San Diego comic con. She was really nice, I enjoyed her. She signed my book!!

      Delete
  3. My book club read Siege and Storm and LOVED it! We had so much fun theming our entire night around the culture of this fabulous book AND Leigh Bardugo Skyped into our meeting eeee! Check it out!
    http://www.deliciousreadsbookclub.blogspot.com/2013/10/book-club-ideas-for-shadow-bone-by.html

    And our interview with Leigh is here
    http://www.deliciousreadsbookclub.blogspot.com/2013/10/interview-with-leigh-bardugo-about.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your book club so much. Someone needs to move here to CO so we can start one together.

      Delete
  4. I rely on Wikipedia for helping me remember what happened when I am about to start the next book in a series. I think books in series should have a one-page blurb giving you a recap before jumping into chapter one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Especially when there is such a long time in between books in a series. I mean a year and half ! I have read a lot of books in that time so I didn't really remember all the details I needed to.

      Delete
  5. I loved all the cool details, too. LOL I love that you love the relationship drama. I think it was fun too :) The ending in this book was so epic and amazing. I loved it! I can’t wait for the next one. Awesome review.

    ReplyDelete