Sunday, September 18, 2016

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by JK Rowling

Title: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
Author: JK Rowling
Pages: 343
Published: July 31st 2016 by Little, Brown UK
Source: Library
Links: Pottermore

Based on an original new story by J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne and John Tiffany, a new play by Jack Thorne, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is the eighth story in the Harry Potter series and the first official Harry Potter story to be presented on stage. The play will receive its world premiere in London’s West End on July 30, 2016. It was always difficult being Harry Potter and it isn’t much easier now that he is an overworked employee of the Ministry of Magic, a husband and father of three school-age children. While Harry grapples with a past that refuses to stay where it belongs, his youngest son Albus must struggle with the weight of a family legacy he never wanted. As past and present fuse ominously, both father and son learn the uncomfortable truth: sometimes, darkness comes from unexpected places.
Well... you know I had to read this. I read it right when it came out too. It's quite a quick read.  I'm glad I read it even though I was leery about it.  Yes it's going to change the way you thought the kids of Hogwarts were going to turn out. They are all adults now and all have kids. The story follows mostly the kid's story. In case you didn't know, the book is a play.  So be prepared to read it in the format of a script. I wish I could see this play so hopefully someday it comes to America. Albus Severus Snape who is Harry's youngest son is having a hard time in school.  He is trying to live up to his father's legacy which isn't easy.  Scorpius Malfoy, Draco's son, isn't having an easy time in school either so they become unlikely friends.  I hope you go into this book when you read it knowing nothing.  That makes everything even more surprising.

Cursed Child Cast

The following is going to have spoilers for this book.  I don't normally put spoilers in reviews but I want to actually chat about what this book was really about so proceed with caution.

Rowling does such a good job with mixing themes into her stories.  This book talks about supporting one another, parenting, seeing people for who they really are and accepting it, growing up, the feelings of needing to be perfect, and more. I liked reading about the gang of friends being together again. I did have some issues though with the parents.  Harry Potter is kind of shown as a bad father. I'm not a parent so I have no idea about Harry's feelings as a parent but I am sure it's not easy.  He and Severus really just don't get along.  Harry I think expects too much out of his son.  In my mind (before reading this book) I would think Harry would be an amazing parent but apparently not. Draco turns out to be the better father.  Really I love who Draco became as a man. Harry doesn't want Severus and Scorpios to be friends but Draco wants his son to be happy so pushes Harry to allow this.  I don't really like that Harry's character wouldn't want this.  Would he be so petty when he grew up to act like this?  This is what I'm talking about if you read this, characters might not be who you want them to be.

The book's real plot surrounds the Time Turner.  I don't always love time travel stories.  They can feel like a way to make a plot that wasn't there to begin with. The kids in the book come across one and decide to go back in time and change things around to make their lives better.  So we keep seeing a different future for Harry, Hermione, Ron and Draco. It is interesting how just one choice in your life and change your entire destiny.

Now let's really get into the problems with the book. Sometimes I do think Rowling needs to let Harry Potter rest.  She's like that person that can never let high school go.  She constantly goes back and adds more and more to the story.  I obviously can't let go either because I keep reading everything that she puts out.   Who do you think is the villain of this book?  Voldemort.   Ughh... really?  Well OK fine, I can deal with that. But then... he has a child?  With Bellatrix LeStrange? Now I can see Bellatrix wanting to be with Voldemort so bad.  But Voldemort getting it on and having a child?  I don't know.  I mean... they would have to have sex.   Voldemort having sex?

End spoilers.



I think there is a middle of the road on this book.  You can read it and just like it. I don't think it's a love it or hate it book. I still don't love the cover. It's creepy.  I don't know who that child is on the cover either?  I recommend this book if you are a Harry Potter fan.  It's a fast read and there is the magic of Rowling's writing that will suck you in.

No comments:

Post a Comment