Saturday, February 2, 2013

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by JK Rowling-Review


Continuing with my re-read of Harry Potter, I finally finished Order of the Phoenix.  This is a massive book.  I forgot how long it is.  Here is the goodreads description:

Harry Potter is due to start his fifth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. His best friends Ron and Hermione have been very secretive all summer and he is desperate to get back to school and find out what has been going on. However, what Harry discovers is far more devastating than he could ever have expected... Suspense, secrets and thrilling action from the pen of J.K. Rowling ensure an electrifying adventure that is impossible to put down

A lot of things happen in this book. I mean A LOT! So much information is contained in these pages... and yet this is my least favorite book.  I suppose it's because the story is now getting dark.  So much for fun times.  It has been a long time since I have read this book so I found some of the things missing from the movies cool.  Like Gwap's story.  In the book he seems WAY more dangerous then in the movie.  I find in the book you actually feel bad for Lockhart because this is where you see that his life was destroyed and the movies mad it seem like he was this bad guy when in reality I find that he was just a lost soul.   You find out in the book that Kreature really is kind of an evil houseelf.  Though only because of the family he grew up with.  Oh and one thing I just love about this book is the look we get into the Department of Mysteries.  I remember reading this book and not being sure is Sirius dies... but in the movie they make it clear because Bellatrix yells Avada Kedarva!

One of the things I disliked about this book was Harry's constant whining.  OMG!  He whines about people talking about his, his friends who are so scared that he is going to scream at them, he whines about everything it seems.  That is my biggest complaint about this book.

I remember when I first read this book.  A drastic change was happening in my life.  I was on a ferry from Alaska back to the "lower 48" (that is what people from Alaska say) to move to Utah.  Funny that I remember where I was when first reading this book!!  I never do that!  

On to the next book in the series!!!

The crystal ball says:
Clouds are covering! A read that lets me down every now and then but peaks out of the clouds!



Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Harry Potter and the Cursed Child



8 comments:

  1. How many bloggers have picked Harry Potter? Ufff!
    I love your heading. Old follower:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahhah! I think it is just that that world is so vivid... I can picture myself in Hogwarts!

      Delete
  2. I love all the HP books, but this is my least favorite too, mainly because Harry is sooo angsty. But I can see why he was, but he still got on my nerves a little.

    And I was so so so sad about Sirious. I think this is the saddest book in the series.

    Hey, I remember where I was when I read this one, too! HP does that I think :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember reading the first 3 books a long long long time ago. Ive been wanting to do a re read too.
    I remember devouring them too. A friend of mine bought them for her teen daughter then she lent them to me to read after I oohed and aahed over them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think in this book you get an inkling that the characters are about to start growing up - but it is the Order of the Phoenix where you really feel the full impact. I barely recognised Harry as Harry at the beginning of Order of the Phoenix because he became such a whinger - but then I though - hey, he's really a teenager now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was one of my least favorites for a long time but now it's probably my third favorite. Like you said, so much happens. And it did annoy me that Harry whined so much but it also seems logical given the trauma he's been through and his age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was one of my least favorites too when it came out. I remember thinking what the? But after the last two books came out I realized Harry had to grown up and things were changing.

      Delete