Wednesday, April 10, 2013

The Things That Matter by Nate Berkus-Review

I love Nate... and his style.  And boy is he sexy!  Here is the goodreads description about this book:

Does your home tell the story of who you are? I
The Things That Matter, Nate Berkus shares intimate stories from his life, introduces us to people who influenced him and helped him forge his sense of style, and opens up about the remarkable experiences that have left him forever changed, all of which find expression in how he lives today. From his most cherished flea market finds, to his beloved books and photos, to the many extraordinary mementos he’s collected in his travels, every piece defines who he’s become and what endures in his world. 
 Berkus invites readers into his own home as well as into twelve others, including a sleek steel-and-glass high-rise that soars above Chicago, a rustic cottage in the Hudson Valley, an ultra-chic atelier that maximizes every inch of space, a Greenwich Village townhouse that holds multiple art collections, and a study in meaningful minimalism in Marfa, Texas. The distinctive interiors beautifully displayed in this book offer revealing portraits of their owners’ lives and the inspiring choices that have made them who they are today.
The Things That Matter convincingly lays out Nate Berkus’s philosophy that things do matter. Our homes tell our stories, they reflect the places we’ve been and the people we’ve loved along the way—and there can be no more beautiful design for living than that.

Let me start off by saying I love Nate. Yes I watched Oprah (and I miss that show) and I loved when Nate would be on it. I just love his style. I didn't read too much of this book.. I mainly looked at the pictures. Though I did read the beginning where he discusses losing his partner when they were in Sri Lanka and the tsunami hit. I remember watching Nate talk about it and it was devastating. He has moved on with his life though and today I actually read that he is engaged again! I am so glad he was able to move on with live and just be happy. Ok so back to this book. I didn't love the rooms that were featured in the book. Some of the art was a little out there. I want to look at books and see art I can afford and this just wasn't it. But I enjoy looking into other people's homes.




 I love the theme though... does your home tell the story of who you are. YES ! My answer is YES! I have a wonderful home.  I have a velvet Yoda picture hanging up that my dad brought home to me in the 80s when he was stationed in Korea.  I have lots of art that my dad has brought me from the world.  I have a cat stand for my babies that is ugly and matches nothing but it means something to my cats.  I have Erte art hanging.. I love love his art.  Just a mixture and I feel that it says this is me!!  I am still waiting to do a photo wall.  I think they are very important to have in every home.   I love these ideas here:





I wouldn't recommend this book to other people as far as decorating. Pinterest is better for those of us on a budget.  But I would recommend it though to read the parts about Nate and his experiences of where he is today.

The crystal ball says:



Rain is pouring...  Not sure if this was really worth my time, must get umbrella.

3 comments:

  1. Haha, always go for the pictures. It does not matter how old you get, go for the pictures, they rule. Actually most decorating homes would make it look extravagant, but maybe you could go swap meet or Goodwills and find the same material to make it, just in a different way. The idea for the heart full of pictures is a lovely idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when Nate lost his partner. That was so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My what a handsome guy! The interiors look a bit cluttered to me, but I prefer a minimalist setting whenever possible. However, my drawers would deny that; somehow they are overstuffed with papers, letters, bookmarks, etc.

    ReplyDelete