Monday, May 16, 2011

A Discovery of Witches

A Discovery of Witches
Author:Deborah Harkness
Release Date: February 8, 2011
Pages: 600
Read it in: 3 weeks!

Summary:(Goodreads)
Deep in the stacks of Oxford's Bodleian Library, young scholar Diana Bishop unwittingly calls up a bewitched alchemical manuscript in the course of her research. Descended from an old and distinguished line of witches, Diana wants nothing to do with sorcery; so after a furtive glance and a few notes, she banishes the book to the stacks. But her discovery sets a fantastical underworld stirring, and a horde of daemons, witches, and vampires soon descends upon the library. Diana has stumbled upon a coveted treasure lost for centuries-and she is the only creature who can break its spell. Debut novelist Deborah Harkness has crafted a mesmerizing and addictive read, equal parts history and magic, romance and suspense. Diana is a bold heroine who meets her equal in vampire geneticist Matthew Clairmont, and gradually warms up to him as their alliance deepens into an intimacy that violates age-old taboos. This smart, sophisticated story harks back to the novels of Anne Rice, but it is as contemporary and sensual as the Twilight series-with an extra serving of historical realism.  


Angie's Review:

Finally I am done with this book.  It took me like three weeks to read it.  A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness is such a long boring book.  I tried soooo hard to like it.  I mean so many people are raving about this book but I just couldn't get into it.  It was Twilight for Adults (and I liked Twilight).  I read through all kinds reviews on this book and I keep reading the same thing Edward= Matthew.  The book is extremely long and full of unnecessary details.  I can't believe it is going to be a trilogy.  To be honest I made it all the way to page 520 out of 600 pages but just decided to stop.  I started skimming but thought I might as well just look up the ending on the internet.

I will say though I loved some of this book.  I loved the idea that the plot was creating, I loved the locations, I loved the mixture of witches, vampires, and deamons.  But that was about it.  This book needs a new editor.  I mean how much more can I read about wine?  What does it smell like, where is it from, blah blah.  Not that great.. pass on this if you don't want to read long long long details. 





4 comments:

  1. I was unsure of this book and I'm still not sure what I'll do after reading your review. I may wait a while on this one and wait until a few years go by before I read it. Thanks for your review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew! Intense to give such a review but I"m proud of you. I'm disappointed when I find out that people don't post reviews for a small rating to reserve the authors feelings. Well, Poppycock! I want to hear the truth so I don't fall into a rut of a book and say why the sun and the stars did no one tell me to stear clear if you would find this this and this annoying.

    Hmm... Well, that is harsh but you know what I mean. LOL!

    I have this one in the waiting for position on GoodReads swap but I think someone else might enjoy this more then I would.

    Thanks for honesty!!!!!

    Zombies are for May!  Morbid Romantica Challenge links are up for Zombies along with a few book ideas.  Some I myself will be trying out! Stop by and let me know which Zombie book I should be reading!

    Mad Scientist
    Steampunkery & Book Reviews
    For The L♥ve of Reading

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did want to be honest. I know that authors probably hate when there are bad reviews. But I really thought this was a stinker!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate to put this novel in a box of likes because there's nothing out there really like it so instead if you are a fan of Diana Gabaldon, JR Ward and Karen Marie Moning you will love this book and also fans of The Historian, Dracula and Dracula the Undead will love the fantasy in this one.

    ReplyDelete