Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Champoin by Marie Lu- Review

I have been trying to read this every since this book came out!  I received it from the library when it first came out but only read half of it before it was due back.  I only just got the book again and almost didn't finish it this time around either.  Here is the goodreads description:


June and Day have sacrificed so much for the people of the Republic—and each other—and now their country is on the brink of a new existence. June is back in the good graces of the Republic, working within the government’s elite circles as Princeps-Elect, while Day has been assigned a high-level military position. But neither could have predicted the circumstances that will reunite them: just when a peace treaty is imminent, a plague outbreak causes panic in the Colonies, and war threatens the Republic’s border cities. This new strain of plague is deadlier than ever, and June is the only one who knows the key to her country’s defense. But saving the lives of thousands will mean asking the one she loves to give up everything. With heart-pounding action and suspense, Marie Lu’s bestselling trilogy draws to a stunning conclusion  

Yes! Another trilogy done. Though, like I said, I started this way back in November. I don't know what it is about this book... but I didn't feel the need to finish it. I was just going slow reading along. This book series has been a fun ride though.  Marie Lu does an excellent job of writing.  It's like practically reading a movie script, similar to the Hunger Games type of writing I think.   Lots of action and suspense in the book.

The last book in this series we find the Colonies and the Republic finally coming to some type of agreement.  One of my favorite things in Champion is that we actually get to leave America and go to Antarctica and see how the rest of the world is.  Clearly when we leave and see America it is a third world country basically.  Totally unlike America we are used to now.  I still like the characters in this book.  Day, June, and Anden.  The author is a great character writer.  This time around though I did think Anden just got the brush off.  Poor guy.  Sometimes I think he should've been the guy for June, though from the start of the series we all knew it wouldn't go in that direction.

The ending of the book did surprise me.  I wasn't sure exactly where it was going go to go.  Lu didn't have to give us some crazy ending either.  She wrapped the book up pretty nicely.  I was surprised to even read a section that was "10 years later".  At first I was like.. really??, but then I was glad things weren't left up in the air.  I did like reading about what June was doing during those years.   I was a little bothered by the ending

SPOILERS:  So Day forgets June... but you would think SOMEONE would tell him about her.  He would've heard more of the story about her from someone.  I just think when he did finally see her at the end he would've known what she looked like especially since he and his brother were in Antarctica and he probably googled himself there.
END EPOILERS

OK... I just had to get that off my chest.  I think this is a pretty amazing series.  One of the best I have read.  I look forward to see what Marie Lu has in store for us in the future.

The crystal ball says:





Clouds are covering! A read that lets me down every now and then but peaks out of the clouds!

Check out my reviews:
Legend by Marie Lu
Prodigy by Marie Lu


10 comments:

  1. ...I totally haven't read any of these books yet! So guilty!! I didn't read your whole review because spoilers but I am glad to hear that you liked the series as a whole and think she's an awesome authors-- I've heard great things and can't wait to get to this book during my summer read-a-thon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This series is really great. I was pleasantly surprised when I first read it. I had heard a lot about it but you know sometimes there is a lot of hype and the book is no good. I think this is an exciting series and if you want a plot that is just exciting and non-stop then read these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SPOILERS
    Huh, I didn't even think of him finding out who she was through all the 10 years they were apart! But yeah that is a pretty big plot hole! I really enjoyed this one though, and loved how everything was so well wrapped up in the end - it was very satisfying!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm working on this book right now. :) I felt like the beginning was slow so I skipped to the end, and then I wondered the same things you did. Like, wouldn't anyone from his life try to fill him in? I've liked the other books so I'm sure I'll go back and read the middle some time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to read this series still. Glad to hear that you enjoyed it okay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was satisfying. I thought it was a really good ending to a series. I had a little issues with what I talked about in the post but otherwise frankly this is so good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG straight to the end! HA! My mom does this too. Especially if it is an exciting book. She just can't wait to see what happens and goes straight to the end.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've only read the first book, but I remember enjoying the fast pace / action! Glad this story managed to surprise you in the end.

    Nice review (also, love your rating system)!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks.. my rating system I think isn't as harsh as a star system. It's kind of the in between. I was surprised at the end.. at first I thought it was going to be predictable then walla! If you enjoyed the first one you'll probably enjoy the others as well.

    ReplyDelete