Thursday, March 28, 2013

Rebel Heart by Moira Young-Review


This is the next book in the series Dust Lands by Moira Young.  I am trying to continue my goal of finishing book series that I have begun. I started this series with the Young Adult Book Club. Here is the goodreads description:


It seemed so simple: Defeat the Tonton, rescue her kidnapped brother, Lugh, and then order would be restored to Saba’s world. Simplicity, however, has proved to be elusive. Now, Saba and her family travel west, headed for a better life and a longed-for reunion with Jack. But the fight for Lugh’s freedom has unleashed a new power in the dust lands, and a formidable new enemy is on the rise. What is the truth about Jack? And how far will Saba go to get what she wants? In this much-anticipated follow-up to the riveting Blood Red Road, a fierce heroine finds herself at the crossroads of danger and destiny, betrayal and passion.

I really enjoyed Blood Red Road, the first book in the series. I thought the world really came alive.  I thought the author did this same in this book.  I could feel myself in the environment. This book takes place in a world that we have destroyed though no one knows how.  We are known as Wreckers and have somehow destroyed the earth and made it this desolate landscape.  Young does an amazing job of making the reader feel like they are in this universe.

The characters are still great.  This time around we get to know Lugh.. the Saba's brother. Who we really didn't get to know and see in book one.  He was a really controlling guy throughout the book.  And then of course we have Saba.. whom I felt was like a baby in this book.  Everything was about her.  And even after her crew of people cross a big desert to find her she tries to send them away.  Like they are really going to leave after that long journey.  That annoyed me a little.

Now for the spoilers.. yes spoilers do not read ahead if you don't want to know things.  So in this book Jake somehow is on the bad team.  Which we find out later is because he is trying to be some sort of spy.  And apparently there was no way to get the news to Saba.  So the he ends up capturing Emmi.  Well after he captures Emmi Saba runs off and then ends up with DeMalo and then sleeps with him.  I liked this twist at first (and I despise love triangles) but THEN Saba kept thinking she might be pregnant and that is huge.  Like what?  Is there going to be baby drama in the next book?  Oh wait.. and it's not just a love triangle... it's a love square because Tommo still loves her too.  Wow.

End spoilers... I do enjoy this series.  I really think it's edgy and the author takes chances.  I can't wait for the third book.  I wasn't approved for an ARC of this one.. so maybe the next one I will be.  I also love the new covers for the books.. especially Blood Red Road:



The crystal ball says:




Clouds are covering! A read that lets me down every now and then but peaks out of the clouds!

Here is my review of Blood Red Road by Moira Young, book 1. 

4 comments:

  1. Ehem, ehem, I started the first book and couldn't finish it. So not my type all this super fighting ability out of the blue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahah! I like it enough to finish it. The first book is much better then this book so if you couldn't get through the first book then the second book would be awful for you!

      Delete
  2. I haven't heard of this series, but it sounds good. I'll have to check it out. I'm always looking for good, different YA.

    Shannon at The Warrior Muse

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely forgot about the pregnancy drama, oh gosh. Ugh, that's all the book needs, seriously. That will bring the series down so far. I like DeMalo as a love interest but they fell into bed so fast and right after Emmi gets kidnapped? Seriously? I hope the third is better.

    ReplyDelete