Thursday, May 22, 2014

Comic Adventures Issue #11


I read a lot of comics and rarely review them here on the blog. That's because I really don't have a lot to say for an entire post.  So I thought I would review several comics on one post.  I will still review graphic novels on their own now and then, but this is where I will talk about super-hero type comics (DC/Marvel) or sequels to some that I have already reviewed.

These comics in this issue are all ARCs from Edelweiss.  I received this ARC from the publisher in exchange for a fair and honest review. I’d like to thank the publisher for allowing me to receive this review copy and inform everyone that the review you have read is my opinion alone. I received from Edelweiss Batgirl Vol 4: WantedGreen Lantern Vol 4 Dark Days, Batman/Superman, and finally Batman Vol 4 Zero Year/Secret City.


I was able to download Batgirl Vol. 4 Wanted from Edelweiss as an instant download.  This is my first one from Edelweiss!!  Yeah!  Maybe on Edelweiss I'll get approved for DC comics.  I never get approved for them on Netgalley. I loved this Batgirl so much.  Again this series is still going strong. I do miss the old illustrator since this issue has a new one. I love the Batman and Nightwing cameos. What I really like about this issue was I thought it really relates and speaks to the girl comic book readers. I think that we get to see Batgirl as a superhero and at the same time a normal girl just trying to go shopping and date boys. I can't wait for this series to continue on.  Thank you to the publishers and Edelweiss for the ARC copy. 



I was given another ARC from Edelweiss to download.  Green Lantern Vol 4 Dark Days.  This one started off a little confusing.  Of course volume 3 ended with a big battle story that included all the different lanterns into one battle so the readers had to be transitioned into a new story.  Hal Jordan in this one is thrown into the roll of being the Green Lantern's leader.  There was a little story in this volume that didn't really fit to me.  All of a sudden the orange lanterns show up to steal stuff from the green lanterns.  Once this part is over the comic gets more interesting with a story about an enemy named Relic.  My problem with the Green Lantern comics is that they have soooo many crossovers in them.  I am reading the Red Lantern comics but I haven't started The Green Lantern Corps yet.  At the end of this issue the Green Lanterns end up policing the galaxy.. taking the rings from everyone trying to get a world without them.  We'll see how this turns out in the next issue.  3 out of 5
I was really excited to receive Batman/Superman from Edelweiss!  I love Jae Lee's art.  When I saw the cover for it I knew I needed to read it. I loved it. We see two different sets of Superman/Batman from two different worlds.  In one world they are friends and one world just meeting.  Darkseid is the main villain in the series.  We get to even see a glimpse of Wonder Woman/Cat Woman and some of the Justice League.  One of the odd things though about this book is that my favorite artist Jae Lee doesn't actually illustrate the whole volume.  Which disappoints me.  In fact... even in the goodreads description you only see one illustrator listed.  Overall this is a strong story to me and I can't wait to read what more is in store.  5 out of 5






Finally I read Batman Volume 4 Zero Year/Secret City.  This comic is all about Batman and his beginnings.  I was surprised this comic jumped back to the time when Bruce Wayne became Batman. This shows us the origins of the villain Red Hood.  I had no idea who Red Hood was prior to this comic so that was a neat introduction to him and who he will become. We also get to get some introduction into the Riddle who appears in this comic.  I wasn't expecting a prequel arc in this series so I was surprised.  I actually have not read the Frank Miller Year One so I didn't find any repetitive stories that others may find. I really enjoyed the art work and love the cover!!  4 out of 5





Well that's it for comics this time around... can't wait to read what comics come into the library next!!

I am now up to 46 books towards my Graphic Novel Reading Challenge!

Bout of Books

8 comments:

  1. I'm more of a Marvel person, but if I wanted to get into DC, where should I start?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do want to check out more Batgirl. I've only read one set of comics about her, and I'd love more!
    Thanks for the reviews.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow... I would for sure start in the new 52. I really like the Batgirl comics a lot. Give that one a go first. Then move onto Batman Court of Owls. That is a good series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Batgirl is going so well... love her story line!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would want to go as wonder woman... but I don't have the boobs. So next up I would pick Batgirl. I hope you post picture to DragonCon!! I am excited to see how that con is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could agree more with all of these reviews. The GL graphic novels leave so many holes unless you read all of the series. Batgirl was really good and I have to catch up. I loved seeing. Batman and Nightwing pop up in this one too. I always look forward to these comic adventure posts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am done I think with the GL series. I just don't even want to keep reading them. We'll see but I think I am going to just quit it. If there is a Blackest Night series again I will read that one for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I could because the holes in their stories are frustrating. I just can't let to of Hal Jordan and the others. If they continue do a this path I'm sure I will quit them eventually.

    The Batman books do this but not nearly as bad. I hope those don't get to that point.

    ReplyDelete