Sunday, May 4, 2014

May the 4th Be With You- Star Wars Pop Up Review



As many of you may know 1. I am a huge Star Wars fan and 2. Today is May the 4th Be With You.  I thought that in order to celebrate I would review one of my favorite books that I keep in my guest room, A Pop-Up Star Wars book.  This book is by Matthew Reinhart who makes the most fabulous modern pop-up books.  I had to get this as a gift for my husband a few years ago!   

I love how many pop-ups there are in the book.  There is a main one in the middle of each page and then there are smaller ones in each corner of the pages. I don't think you have to be a Star Wars fan to enjoy this book.  You will be able to read the details and pretty much understand what is going on.  I don't think it tells the story either through Episode I-VI.  You just kind of read along about the different space craft and races. 



I love the pop-up of a large Mos Eisley spaceport where our heroes Luke and Obi-Wan first met Han and Chewie.  I tried to get a good picture of it but it's not easy.  I love that you get to look inside and see all the characters and even see Han sitting in the booth where the saying "Han Shot First" comes from.  You see the bar and the band in the background.


I love too as you get farther along you even get to see Luke and Vader with the lightsabers that actually LIGHT UP!  I mean...yes yes yes.  


When you get to the very end of the book you get a big treat where we get to see a big Vader Helmet... with Vader inside.  This nice thing about this book is that not only is the pop-up art amazing but the text throughout the book is fun to read also. 


I really do enjoy this book and think it's a great gift. I am super excited about the new Star Was movie and the fact that the cast will be returning for it.

 May the 4th Be With You!

14 comments:

  1. This is awesome!! I remember buying "Darth Vader and Son" and also "Vader's Little Princess" after reading your review at your blog here. Thanks for posting one, as I really want to own it!

    Oh, and May the 4th be with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful review, Angela! I think I've seen this book at my local bookstore before, but I've not really looked at it very much and so I really enjoyed the pictures, and the gif, being able to see more inside it. I love the fact that the lightsabers actually light up- how does that even work?

    ReplyDelete
  3. shootingstarsmagMay 4, 2014 at 7:59 PM

    Oh this is so cool. Definitely good for a Star Wars fan. Love that the light sabers actually light up. Too cool!! Very intricate work.

    Lauren from www.shootingstarsmag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are some awesome pop ups! I want that book! May the fourth be with you! (and the force)

    ReplyDelete
  5. YEAH!! I am so glad I have inspired people to buy books. So fun! This one is pretty amazing. I love this book and keep it in the guest bedroom hoping people will read it and love it. Who wouldn't want a pop-up book to look at when they are staying at someone's house??????

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made that gif all by myself!! I had to find out on the internet how to do it and go to a few gif sites to get it to work out. But it was fun to learn something new. There is a small battery on the back cover of the book.. though I am not sure where the wiring is??? The book isn't even that heavy to have a battery in it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Honestly I love Reinhart's work. If you google him you will see he makes a lot of neat pop-up books. There is actually another Star Wars one I just learned about that he made.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you! I love today.. it brings out the geek in me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so cute! I love it!!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stephanie TurnerMay 5, 2014 at 6:51 AM

    This is too cool!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I not only want and NEED this book, but my husband and kids would love it as well! My son was Darth Vader for Halloween last year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. OK now this is soooo fun!!! Thanks for sharing this picture!

    ReplyDelete