Friday, December 13, 2013

Project Disney - Fantasia 2000



Project Disney: The plan is to tackle all of the Disney films, re-reading the classic stories and tales that inspired many of them and to look at how the changes the filmmakers made, the new elements they introduced and the essential elements they kept. We will, of course, be talking about the films as movies as well, saying why we enjoy them and what some of our favorite moments are, but our focus will be on looking at them as adaptations. For the films that are not drawn from any one work we’ll be looking at some of the possible literary influences that we see in the stories.  Project Disney is inspired by Picture Me Reading.


I love Fantasia sooo much. So when I discovered that there was going to be a second one I was soo excited.  I was working at Blockbuster Video at the time... so I even snagged the poster from the movie Fantasia 2000.  I love the Fantasia movies.  The mix of art and music together is genius to me.

I love the Rhapsody in Blue.. the art is very jazzy to me. What I like about it is that it is everyday life for all of us.  I can see the workers trying hard to make money.. and just living life.




Next up let's look at The Steadfast Tin Solider, this is based off of the story by the same name written by Hans Christian Andersen. Another fantastic work of art ... that tells an amazing story by just listening to the music and watching the animation.  The story has a much sadder ending then the Fantasia version.  In the story the Tin Solider see the ballerina and never realizes that she does have two legs (unlike in the video).  He does believe that all his bad luck is created by the creepy jack in the box whereas in the story we actually see the jack in the box physically doing the events. The solider falls out of the window by accident in the book.  He goes through the water and makes it back home inside a fish just like in the film.  BUT the ending is much sadder.  When the kids get the solider back for some reason they throw him into the fire!  Then wind blows the ballerina into the fire too (she is made of paper in the story).  Both are destroyed and the only pieces found of them is a melted tin heart and a sequin from the ballerina.  SAD!



The next musical segment I am going to talk about it is the Carnival of the Animals... which is one of my most favorite in Fantasia 2000. I mean how fun is it to watch a flamingo shoot around a yo-yo!!! !  Originally.. the flamingos were going to be ostriches so glad they went with the flamingos. I think the colors in this video are just beautiful.




The Pomp and Circumstance story is a fun one too ( I can't find a video of it sooooo... you'll just have to get the DVD). This one shows Donald as Moses and he ushers all the animals onto a huge ship. Daisy included. It is really sweet and fun. It's based off the Moses story from the Bible. Ok confession time.  I didn't go back and read this section of the bible.  Yes .. I know that's what Project Disney is all about but I am lazy... plus I feel like I know that story by heart... right?  I like how clever it is... it even has the dragons and unicorns laughing at everyone for hurrying onto the boat.


The next song I am going to talk about is Firebird Suite... here is yet another AMAZING animation.  This one is the most touching to me.  It shows the devastation of a forest fire.  I recently went to Yellowstone and you could see the damage the park took from a fire.  Sad sad.  




Disney also added The Sorcerer's Apprentice back into the film which I love since I think this is what made the original film take off.  If you haven't seen this you should really take the time.  There is still the live action scenes in-between song numbers.  I still like to fastforward through these but they are worth listening to at least one time around.  I learned that this was the first animated film to be released in IMAX.  Of course in 2000 there weren't as many IMAX screens as there are now.

Be sure to check out my other Project Disney:

Snow White
Cinderella
Peter Pan
Treasure Planet
Sleeping Beauty
The Great Mouse Detective 
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
The Princess and the Frog
Pinocchio 
Fantasia 
Beauty and the Beast
Lady and the Tramp
Alice in Wonderland
The Rescuers
The Rescuers Down Under
Tangled
Oliver and Company
Mulan
The Little Mermaid
Bambi
101 Dalmatians
Frozen
The Jungle Book
The Emperor's New Groove
The Sword in the Stone
Aladdin
Atlantis
The Aristocats
The Lion King
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
Winnie the Pooh (2011)
Robin Hood
Hercules
Pocahontas
Dumbo
The Black Cauldron  
Mary Poppins
Lilo and Stitch  
The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad
Make Mine Music
Tarzan
Fox and the Hound
Melody Time 

12 comments:

  1. Firebird suite is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is beautiful. I worked a the Forest Service for many years so I really understand fire and what it can really do to the wildlife. Terrible thing.

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed Fantasia 2000 too. It was lovely. I must admit that I have seen Fantasia all the way through, because I fall asleep each time. Fantasia 2000 is much shorter. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually fast forward through the commentating and the abstract videos. I prefer the videos that show a story like the ones above. Notice I didn't even post the video of the first song (I forgot the name) that is abstract. It makes it much shorter to skip these parts.

      Delete
  3. This is one of the Disney Movies I wasn't able to watch. And it's not even available in our rental houses. Bahhh.

    I hope that Disney will continue creating fairy tale movies though. Whew!

    Lovely review, Angie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep an eye on Netflix. They switch out Disney movies all the time. Possibly it will be on there. If you also go through youtube you can find most of the videos upload on there. So actually you can watch the movie straight through youtube just in fragments.

      Delete
  4. I was very upset by the Fantasia suite. THEY CUT PIECES. They cut the giant super sexy english horn solo out of Pines of Rome!!! THE BLASPHEMY. As a musician (and as an oboist/english hornist) the music is more important to me than the artwork, so I stand by my vendetta against this film. I do still love the original Fantasia very much (even if the Rite of Spring dinosaur bit gave me nightmares for years)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is interesting to learn. I had no idea. The sad thing is that probably most people watching this film aren't aware of that either unless they are familiar with the music before the film. I love classical music and I really enjoy going to the symphony. I think it's neat that you play... I wish I had learned. I tried the flute once. It was a disaster... all through 8th grade. I remember during our music program I just pretended to be playing along. So awful.... I should've picked a different instrument.

      Delete
    2. I wanted to play the flute SO. BADLY. But my band directors were glad they'd snagged someone who could play an oboe, so it was never to be. And I found out later during music ed that flute was never going to happen anyway (I have a giant cupid's bow which splits the air, basically making it impossible to play a flute), so I suppose it's good that happened or I never would have become a musician!

      I'm always so happy to learn that people are still interested in the symphony! Even if I stopped playing one day, I'd still love going, it's sort of magical in its own way :)

      Delete
    3. I love the symphony soooo much. I prefer the pops though. My favorite nights were when I went to Lord of the Rings and Micheal Jackson music. Really those were fun and beautiful at the same time!

      Delete
  5. I adore Fantasia!! What a great way to introduce people to classical music by mixing it with beautiful art. Man Hans Christian Andersen could write a sad story. The Firebird Suite is my favorite of the whole movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a great way to introduce people to classical music too. It really is the first time I heard it. I love it but it's not something I jam to in the car. If I am feeling anxiety I will put classical or jazz on though.

      Delete