Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Hyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosh- Review


I love Hyperbole and a Half's blog.. that's where I first discovered this great comic.  I saw some comics on depression and it sucked me in. Here is the goodreads description:

This is a book I wrote. Because I wrote it, I had to figure out what to put on the back cover to explain what it is. I tried to write a long, third-person summary that would imply how great the book is and also sound vaguely authoritative--like maybe someone who isn’t me wrote it--but I soon discovered that I’m not sneaky enough to pull it off convincingly. So I decided to just make a list of things that are in the book: Pictures Words Stories about things that happened to me Stories about things that happened to other people because of me Eight billion dollars* Stories about dogs The secret to eternal happiness* *These are lies. Perhaps I have underestimated my sneakiness! 

This is a really nice book. What I mean by that is that the pages are great quality!  Honestly I was surprised.. usually I get these books that are based off comics and the pages are black and white on just normal paper.  This book's pages are printed on nice glossy paper and full color! I also enjoyed that the comics are more then comics... there are the pictures of course with the art work but usually a long story to go with it.  This makes the book worth purchasing to me.  Sometimes I'll get a book that's from comics and I'll read it in 20 minutes and done... that is totally a book to get from the library.  This book was a wonderful evening full of reading.






I have really only seen positive reactions to this book and I think it's because the author writes about situations that we have all been through.  The art work alone makes people relate.  I think to myself... I could draw that same drawing and tell MY story (actually I couldn't draw this drawing but still). Brosh's comics on depression are so good.  Anyone who has had depression would understand.  She talks about not taking back a movie to the video store.  Standing there just staring at it as it sits on the chair... knowing she should take it back.  But when you are depressed things like that just don't matter anymore.  Does anyone really care if the movie goes back???  I love as she fights with her own mind about this.  She posted about depression one time on her blog and then didn't come back to her blog for a long time!!  Like 2 years I think.  Then came back and wrote another amazing post on depression again.


I also love Brosh's posts about her dogs.  I did read a review where the reviewer said the stories were fakes and just parables of human lives.  I disagree with this! She has a simple dog and a helper dog.  They are hilarious.  I have cats.. so I don't relate as well to the dog stories but I have known enough dogs to sort-of understand.  These are the thoughts of the two dogs:

I also learned that Brosh changed some of her drawing from blog to book.  This doesn't totally bother me but I would've just kept them the same. I do see why this was done though.  I would like to see all the differences between all the drawings.




I really enjoyed this book.  I already enjoyed the comic so was really happy to see it collected into a volume that someone could keep on a coffee table or in a guest bedroom.   Seriously go and get this book... it will make you smile for a little while.  I also wish Brosh all the luck in the world dealing with her depression.... it is a tough ride.





The crystal ball says:




Sun is shinning!!!  Great day to go outside and read this book.

12 comments:

  1. I need to sit down and read this book. I haven't found the time, and I want to make sure that I can savor it, because I love the online comic so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good stuff!! I'd say maybe about 2 hours of reading? I can't remember since I read it last week but it wasn't very long.

      Delete
  2. I have this comic and I love it..I totally could relate to her experiences.. plus the stories are hilarious! I love the one about the cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the dog stories. They remind me of my cats. One cat is the lazy cat... and one is the active cat. I can just picture what they are thinking.

      Delete
  3. OMG, I love those posts about her dogs. It's like she met our dogs. Lol. And now I'm thinking about getting the book....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a decent book and worth the price. Perfect for a guest bedroom. You can find all the comics on her website though so I suppose you could just read them there.

      Delete
  4. I'm normally a little skeptical about books like these. I'm not really all that in to comics to begin with but your review on this one has encouraged me to look in to getting the book and checking out the blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check out the blog first... you should be able to just tell right there whether or not you will enjoy it. What I like the most is that there is a short story with each comic. So it makes the comic's pictures more meaningful. I just love that!!

      Delete
  5. I love Allie's blog. I bought the book for my mom for Christmas and flipped through it a bit before wrapping it, but I'm also on the (super long) waiting list at the library so I can really read it cover to cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish Allie would do more comics more often on her blog. I would love more ... but she seems to only post now a few times a year.

      Delete
  6. I love her blog! My best friend just picked up a copy of the book (he's been going crazy for MONTHS waiting for it to come out!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love her blog too!! I am sad though sometimes because she just disappears. Not that I know her personally (obviously) but I wonder if her depression is back or not.

      Delete