Tuesday, December 17, 2013

The Olympian Series by George O'Conner- Graphic Novel Review


I have to admit... I am a little obsessed with the Olympian Series by George O'Connor. After discovering Zeus, the first book in the series,  I had to read the next volumes.  I like how these graphic novels actually follow the myths.  There is even some humor in some of these issues.  



 The Hera issue tells the story of Hercules and we get to see him go through all his trails.  Honestly I think the title of that issue should be Hercules and not Hera.  The Poseidon issue includes the story of Odysseus and the Cyclops.   The artwork is fun to see, I was especially impressed with the Poseidon art. The book website is really out of date... which surprises me.  It doesn't show the book Poseidon or that there is a new book coming out Aphrodite ( I didn't try to get this through Netgalley but was denied!!).  I read that this is a planned 12 issue series for the 12 gods so I look forward to seeing what the next issue is going to be.


I also saw on the Olympians blog a picture from the spins.  Looks like when you put them together they are going to become an image.


I do think these are neat graphic novels.  For those of you who are teachers this is worth having in your classrooms.  Parents this is a good way to teach younger kids about mythology.  For the rest of you they are just fun!  They are a little short (I read these four in one night) but that is perfect though for a young reader ( I would say these are for middle grade).

The crystal balls says:



Sun is shinning!!!  Great day to go outside and read this book.

8 comments:

  1. Oh this series is right up my alley! I love mythology and have added all of them to my 2014 TBR list, can't wait to track them down and start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are neat and fun. I think they are really great for a classroom too. I would've totally loved these back when I was studying mythology.

      Delete
  2. This sounds like a great series. I also love when series have a picture on the spines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it too.. the new Harry Potter paperbacks have images on the covers now too!

      Delete
  3. I was sooooort of crazy obsessed with mythology, particularly the Greeks, when I was a kid, so I wish I'd had these then! I'll probably still see if my library gets them and check them out (my love of mythology has not really abated over time haha)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed them... though I wouldn't buy them for myself since they are a little juvenile. If your library has them then it's worth checking out for sure!

      Delete
  4. Never heard about this series, Angie. And I am not so sure if I am going to pick it up since they're in a graphic novel version. Gotta be honest, I am not really fond of reading graphic novels. I still want to read stories that has more words than illustrations.

    Maybe if I am younger, I would have picked this one up since I am also crazy with mythos. And you're right, students would really love this one. I wish our school had these materials when I was still in my elementary years. I could have aced my mythology exams. But all we have are those really long boring books written in archaic language. And you know kids having a very short attention span.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I can't imagine going to school now though with the internet. I guess you can find everything in synopsis form. I remember we had to buy spark notes if we wanted help. I still have my mythology spark notes!!! Hahahaha! I have writing all over the inside of it. Now with the internet... who even uses those anymore I wonder????

      Delete