Sunday, December 15, 2013

The Hobbit- The Desolation of Smaug- Review

The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug
The Hobbit #2
J.R.R. Tolkien (author), Peter Jackson (director)
Fantasy
11 December 2013

 Let me tell you I really liked this movie better then the first one in the series!  Here is the synopsis:
After successfully crossing over (and under) the Misty Mountains, Thorin and Company must seek aid from a powerful stranger before taking on the dangers of Mirkwood Forest--without their Wizard. If they reach the human settlement of Lake-town it will be time for the hobbit Bilbo Baggins to fulfill his contract with the dwarves. The party must complete the journey to Lonely Mountain and burglar Baggins must seek out the Secret Door that will give them access to the hoard of the dragon Smaug. And, where has Gandalf got off to? And what is his secret business to the south? 


Finally a Hobbit movie that was worth me sitting there for three hours.  I went to see it in the IMAX opening night.  I was a little nervous.  After the first one where I think the pacing was off this one was right on track.  There were a few Lord of the Rings references that were way too obvious.  The Hobbit book really has nothing to do with LOTR and the viewers could figure some things out on their own without all the hints.


This book has a lot more action then the first speaking of the first have you seen the honest trailer for it?  Hilarious:




OK back to Desolation of Smaug. I love more action this time around. The pacing of moving the film along was much better. I was nervous about Legolas returning to the film. I thought it was some type of excuse to just get old characters back in the film but it was great. There is even some romance added into the film that I never expected.

Smaug is really amazing.  The GCI here is great (unlike at a point earlier in the film when the GCI was a nightmare).  He is a very good villain.  Benedict Cumberbatch’s voice is used for Smaug's voice and boy is it creepy and good. The movie is completely different then the book.  Let's just say you shouldn't even compare the two.

I still haven't seen the high frame rate on either film.  Last year I had a family emergency so I saw the film some time after it was released.  This year we saw this one in IMAX so didn't see the high frame rate there either.  Not sure how long films will actually be made in that format.  It doesn't seem to be taking off.  Sometimes the scenes seem too familiar (Lord of the Rings) .. that is annoying.  But I suppose you can only shoot in so many places in New Zealand.  I was surprised at the cliff hanger at the end.  I thought they were going to finish the book out in this movie and the next movie was going to be all new material from Peter Jackson.  But ... apparently not.

We are hoping to get tickets to San Diego Comic Con 2014 and be able to see the panel for the last Hobbit movie.  Wish us luck!  I recommend seeing this film... it is much better then the first.  Plus .. I mean.. Peter Jackson how can you miss it.


My review of The Battle of the Five Armies

10 comments:

  1. I'm watching it tomorrow with my English class on a field trip, and I'm so glad to hear it's better than the first. I never read or watches Lord of the Rings, and so when we had to watch first Hobbit in class to prepare for this one, I was extremely bored. I'm glad to see it picks up because I think we're seeing it in 3D Imax.

    -P.E. @ The Sirenic Codex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH yea... this picks up. Lord of the Rings movies are completely different and I enjoy those movies way more then the Hobbit movies. The 3D IMAX wasn't too bad... except this one part where you can see the most terrible CGI! Yeesh.. they spent all their money on Smaug and not on any other CGI it seems.

      Delete
  2. I can't wait to see it! I'm going to see it in the cinema soon. I loved the first movie, so I'm super excited :) The trailer looks so good and I love Smaug's voice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you loved the first movie then this movie will blow you away!! It is really really exciting this time around. The humor was spot on too.

      Delete
  3. I love the Honest Trailers! Have you seen The Hunger Games one? Priceless! I wasn't too sure about them splitting the Hobbit up but I've heard this one is a lot better than the first so might give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't watched the Hunger Games one yet... surprising since I have seen quite a few of the Honest Trailers. I love them sooo much. Hilarious!

      Delete
  4. Yes!! The pacing was SO slow in the first one. I really felt like the entire movie was just a prologue lol. But you make it sound like with this second movie they did a lot better--which is awesome. Honestly, after the first movie, I was kinda put off, but I <3 LOTR and Richard Armitage. And your review was sparkling, so I think I'll end up seeing it for sure ;)
    Ninja Girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes... the first one... I don't know.. SNORE! OK there ... I said it. This one though is super long so you will be sitting in the theater for 3 HOURS! My butt hurt and the 3D glasses were started to bother me by the time the movie was almost over... be warned.

      Delete
  5. If you come to San Diego for Comic Con let me know...it would be cool to see you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes.. I will be there. I was able to get tickets!! So exciting.

    ReplyDelete