This is my first year participating in The Perpetual Page Turner's End of Year Survey. Looks fun so I am totally in. I don't know why I wasn't involved before. Be sure to join in the fun and link up your survey on the linky!
1. Best Book You Read In 2013? (If you have to cheat — you can break it down by genre if you want or 2013 release vs. backlist)Oh wow! Starting off with the big question! Let's see.... is the The Diviners by Libba Bray. I really loved this book and was pleasantly surprised by how much.
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl ... I just didn't love it like everyone else!
3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013?I read a book for my Wizard of Oz month on the blog... it's Drama! The Four Dorothys by Paul Ruditis. I never expected to ever like that book.. I only picked it up because it was a retelling of Oz and I loved it sooo much.
4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013?I read Horns by Joe Hill this year and loved it so much. All my friends who love some good horror should pick this up. Plus is going to be a movie staring Harry Potter... oh I mean Daniel Radcliffe sooooo... yeah.
5. Best series you discovered in 2013?I almost read the entire Legend series by Marie Lu. I was reading the last book Champion and got half way through by had to return it to the library. SIGH... so I won't technically finish the series till 2014. But I really really enjoy it.
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2013?
Rainbow Rowell is a great author I discovered this year. I don't read a lot of contemporary fiction but I love her books.
7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?I listened to my first audio book this year... Under the Dome by Stephen King. While I really enjoyed it.. I tried a second audio and couldn't stand it (American Gods by Neil Gaiman). I even had some discussions about audio books too.
8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey was really really good and exciting. I loved it and am so glad I read it. I almost didn't!.
9. Book You Read In 2013 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
Genesis by Bernard Beckett was amazing and really made me think.
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013?Unearthly by Cynthia Hand
11. Most memorable character in 2013?I am going to pick Bigby from a comic book series I read Fables by Bill Willingham, he is pretty epic.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2013?
I read Every Day by David Levithan which is a about a person who switches bodies every single day. They live a different life... it was very beautiful to read about the lives of so many different people.
13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013?
I didn't really read any awe inspiring books this year. I did think Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell was pretty good and made me think about high school and what we didn't know about each other back then.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read?I have been reading A LOT of comics this year. I always had trouble reading comics prior because I couldn't figure out the order. Then DC came out with the New 52 and I knew exactly where to begins in that series. So that has been a lot of fun for me.
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2013?
I don't ever pay attention to quotes in books. Is that bad???
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?
How I did this: Went to my read books on Goodreads and sorted by page number and just looked for what I knew I read this yeaer that was the shortest and longest.
Shortest- How to Tell if Your Cat is Plotting to Kill you by the Oatmeal. A hilarious book!! Read it now.
Longest- Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Huge for my Project Disney... I loved this book sooo much!!
17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!Honestly even though I didn't LOVE the book I wanted to talk about the Maze Runner by James Dashner. There wasn't one scene I wanted to talk about it was the whole book. If you click on the link you can see... I wanted to talk about everything1!
18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).I liked the relationship between Hudson and her love interest in Bittersweet by Sarah Ockler (don't want to say who so I don't spoil it).
19. Favorite Book You Read in 2013 From An Author You’ve Read PreviouslyNotorious Nineteen by Janet Evanovich. I know the series is starting to be a broken record.... but the books are so short who cares. It makes for a fun afternoon of reading.
20. Best Book You Read In 2013 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:
I don't know anyone who reads... so I always look for neat graphic novels and I saw The Arrival by Shaun Tan on a blog (I forgot which one so I can't give credit!).
21. Genre You Read The Most From in 2013?
Comics and Graphic Novels. I like that I can sit down and in one hour finish a book.
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013?
I think I would totally be into Day from the Legend series by Marie Lu.
23. Best 2013 debut you read?
I don't think I read any debut books in 2013..
24. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?
For me since I read a lot of comics worlds are brought to life right on the page. Page by Paige by Laura Lee Gulledge really blew me away with the art and brought me right into the story.
25. Book That Was The Most Fun To Read in 2013?Honestly The Frog Princess by ED Baker was so much fun. I wanted to read the rest of the series but didn't get around to it. So many books so little time.....
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2013?Darth Vader and Son by Jeffery Brown... oh man... cry cry... just kidding that book is hilarious. I don't really cry in books or even want to read books that make me cry. Just not my style.
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2013?This year... I think I found a few blogs that I enjoy. Picture Me Reading is a fun blog and I think the bloggers ( a married couple Aiden and Alisa) are nice and really talk to their followers. Another Novel Reads is a cool blog because Kelley seems to be into all the same things I'm into (video games anyone???). A Bookish Heart ... if you haven't been to this blog then I feel bad for you! A Bookish Whimsy is such a fun blog too!! There are more ... you can see the blogs I love in my blog roll!
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2013?
I love my Maze Runner by James Dashner review. I went all out discussing the book. If you read it and want to get to talking about it well stop on by!
3. Best discussion you had on your blog?Let's see......
- If We Were Having Coffee
-Goodread and it's book clubs
-Where did all the book bloggers go?
-Book Trailers- do you watch?
4. Most thought-provoking review or discussion you read on somebody else’s blog?Gaw... I don't know. I don't remember discussions. Oh actually I bookmarked this one: A Bookish Heart's master post about words to inspire discussions on your blog. It is really good!!
5. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
This year I also went to a Stephen King book signing which is pretty amazing since he doesn't go on tours anymore. Fun year in books. Utah Book Month was a lot of fun too!
6. Best moment of book blogging/your book life in 2013?There are a few things I have been doing in my bookish life. I run two book clubs on goodreads.. The Stephen King Fans group and the Young Adult Book Club. I work really really hard to get people to participate and enjoy these clubs. I also have started a series on my blog called Project Disney hosted by Picture Me Reading where I am reading books and relating them to the movies. I do a new one every two weeks.
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?It was hard for me to figure out the most popular this year.... google analytics I didn't have start tracking my blog till the middle of this year so I had to depend on blogger's stats (and everyone says those are wrong and inflated). So I guess it was my review for Beautiful Creatures.
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?I wish that my Project Disney Bambi post got more love. It's my only Project Disney post that didn't get any comments. I know why this is... no one really loves Bambi. It's sad. But honestly the book is really really good. When I re-watched the movie as an adult it was pretty good too. Give Bambi a chance!! :)
9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
Hummm.... well... hummmm...
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?I honestly didn’t set any reading goals (okay besides the Goodreads one which I didn't meet!) I never participate in challenges because what I read depends on what comes into the library. I do read with my book club EVERY month so that is a challenge. I have also kept up on Project Disney and sometimes that is hard. I squeeze in the Disney books twice a month!
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2013 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2014?
I received Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell from the library once but didn't have time to read it so had to return it and now I am like number 60 so next time I get it I have to read it right away!
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2014 (non-debut)?
3. 2014 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
I am so behind on Debut books... I just watch other blogs and see what they are reading and then I jump on board.
4. Series Ending You Are Most Anticipating in 2014?
Infinite by Jodie Meadows... I can't wait!!
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2014?
I want to read 100 books next year. That is my goal every year and I seem to fall short by like 30 books! THIRTY!! Also next year I should be able to finish out my Project Disney. I am half way through and am determined to finish strong.
Phew... OK I finished Yeah!!!!! Yeahhhhhh!!! I am going to now stop by the links to all the other blogs who participated and check out their answers. If you are doing this.. leave me a link to yours. I would love to learn more about you and visit your blog.
Gah what do you mean nobody loves Bambi?! I love Bambi! That is my childhood right there. Disney = childhood- right there. And Thumper is just the most adorablest bunny ever! <3ReplyDelete
It's okay that you don't look at passages that often, mostly I keep track of quotes but that's it…XD
Have an early Merry Christmas! ^^
Thank you!!!! Merry Christmas to you!Delete
I didn't like Beautiful Creatures either. Great results! :)ReplyDelete
Thanks! Yea Beautiful Creatures just wasn't for me. I wanted to love it like everyone else. I wonder if they will do a second movie???Delete
Love your answers, Angie! I can not wait for Infinite either, and I so agree on Beautiful Creatures-haven't seen the movie but had to force myself through that book.ReplyDelete
The movie was actually decent. I didn't think it was bad. Infinite can't get here soon enough. Man if someone gets an ARC they need to loan it to me and I'll mail it straight back!Delete
Have you ever done Bout Of Books? I always get so much read during those readathons and it helps boost the end of the year goal tally lol. And I just bought Eleanor and Park so I'm really glad you liked it. Def gotta read Fangirl too.ReplyDelete
I do participate in bout of books. I wish the next one was in December instead of in January. Man that would be perfect for the end of year. But I guess it's a good kickoff to the new year too.Delete
How to Tell if Your Cat is Plotting to Kill You by the Oatmeal might just be one of the best titles I've ever heard! And I'm glad you liked the Legend series because I'm hoping to get the first one for Christmas. :-)ReplyDelete
If you click on the link for How to Tell if Your Cat is Plotting to Kill You, you'll see some hilarious pictures of my cats. I am trying to make them look evil but they just ignore me. Thanks a lot cats.Delete
I just read Horns last month and really liked it. I'm looking forward to seeing Harry Potter in the movie too! ;) Horns was actually on my list as the book I read solely based on a recommendation. A co-worker was raving about it and I just had to check it out, even though it's a little different from something I'd normally pick up. I'm glad I did!ReplyDelete
I am glad I picked it up too. Funny thing is someone I recommended that book to didn't like it!! WHA!! I missed when Joe Hill came to where I live for a book signing but I will NOT miss the next time he comes here!Delete
Wow, this is one loooong survey (it scares me a little. lol)ReplyDelete
I agree, Beautiful Creatures was pretty meh.
Oh, I'm currently reading NOS4AU and really enjoying it so I'll definitely check Horns out too :)
Rainbow Rowell!! I'm going to read Fangirl next week-ish! Yay!! Hope you get it again soon :)
The 5th Wave <333
It is a long survey. I did it on a Sunday night I think when nothing was going on. It took like an HOUR!! I am always waiting for books to come in to the library so Fangirl should come in soon and I can't wait to read it.Delete
Ahhhh I love Bambi! I've never read the book but the film is so lovely and aaahhh all the feels!ReplyDelete
I need to get into more graphic novels. It's something I really want to try but they're so expensive xxx
They are EXPENSIVE! I get all mine from the library. I wait until they get the new volumes and then put them on hold. I love love that my library does that!!Delete
I have to check out Horns for sure, before the movie. I read Beautiful Creatures years ago and I didn't continue with the series, it was just okay for me. David Levithan's writing is always beautiful :)ReplyDelete
Thanks for stopping by!
I'll never continue Beautiful Creatures series... those books are too long and take up too much time.Delete
Oh wow! You met Stephen King?! That's incredible! I tried reading Beautiful Creatures some years ago and couldn't get into it myself either. It was actually one of my first DNF books. That was long ago though.ReplyDelete
Did not know that tidbit on finding the shortest book I read! Will have to try to remember that for next year...haha, not likely, but will try! I think it would have to be either a novella or graphic novel that was the shortest I read. Or I could dig for actual novel-wise...
The Stephen King event was the TIME of my life. I mean.... holy smokes. I can't even tell you just how cool it was.Delete
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you reach your reading goal for 2014!! 100 books read is an impressive reading goal. 2012 is the only year that I actually read 100 books. Most of the time, I set my reading goal to 52 books in a year... If I happen to read more more than that, then I'm thrilled!ReplyDelete
Yea... I think this year I technically read about 50 ish. I think the numbers on goodreads is a little larger because they add in the graphic novels I read and I think those are shorter then would I would call a book.Delete
I really need to read The Diviners! So many people are talking about what a good book it is - I even saw it at the library yesterday. I think I will have to go back and rent it out.ReplyDelete
And I agree about the Legend series! I just read Legend yesterday and cannot believe how good it is. I absolutely loved it, and cannot wait to finish the series! And yes, Day is an awesome fictional crush (even if he is only fifteen, haha!).
I am about to go and check out this Project Disney of yours. It sounds awesome. I love Disney :)
I love love Legend. I have been waiting forever now to get the last book back from the library! The Diviners is really good to me. It is long though so be ready for that!!Delete
As big of a Libba Bray fan as I am, I haven't read The Diviners! The size of it is pretty daunting. For me to put aside all of my Must Reads, it requires a book that I'm REALLY into reading, and it just hasn't been on the top of my list. I'll get to it eventually, and I hope it's as good as everyone says!ReplyDelete
Eep, read Fangirl as soon as you can. I really enjoyed it and will probably read it again. I haven't read Eleanor and Park but I've heard a lot of great things about it, so I need to give it a shot in 2014. I'm hoping it doesn't disappoint. :)
Sydney @ Utterly Bookish
The Diviners is a good book... but it is long. My sister DNF it! I remember she told me that before I read it so I was nervous about starting it. Once I got going though I loved it.Delete
This was my first year doing this survey too. :) I haven’t listened to audiobooks either! I’m going to try them out this year too. I loved Hunchback of Notre Dame! Loved reading your survey :)ReplyDelete
Hummm did I say I haven't listened to audiobooks? Wait I looked back to make sure... I did listen to audiobooks and didn't enjoy them. They just aren't my cup of tea. Yawn!Delete
There are so many series I need to read! Legend is one I definitely need to make sure to read it this year. I read a couple chapter of The Diviners and couldn't get into it. I may try to pick it up again but I don't know if I'll like it.ReplyDelete
You're the first person I've seen with The 5th Wave on their list! I loved that book. It's not my normal read but I really enjoyed it.
Fangirl is on my TBR for 2014 as well. Everyone is just raving about it so I hope I like it! and woah this comment kind of turned into a long one :)
The 5th Wave was amazing to me. I am soooo glad I read it. My sister didn't get into the Diviners either. It's long so if the beginning doesn't pull you in then the rest of the book will be slow and boring. Libba Bray actually emailed me the other day. I invited her to my book club when we read it to join in a Q&A ... well she didn't get to the email till a few days ago but she was kind enough to reply!!!Delete
I want to read 100 books every year too!! and I'm always like 30-35 short!! Eventually I'm going to need to accept the fact that I can not average 2 books per week :( I love that you loved The Diviners too!! It was a surprise for me how much I ended up liking it too.ReplyDelete
I really love the cover of Unearthly as well. It made my top covers post I did a few months ago :)
I also love A Bookish Heart and think she has good discussions and other fun stuff... I also liked the discussions you had on your blog this year :)
You should really read Fangirl... there's no way you'll regret it!!
And finally YOU GOT TO MEET STEPHEN KING!! Too cool!
Thanks for stopping by my Best of 2013 post!
LOL! I will NOT make my goal less the 100. You are right though... I would need to read 2 books a week. But I have too many other things to do during the week. I need to just.... only read. :)Delete
I haven't read the Diviners yet, but I am king of dying too. I love that cover of Unearthly too, it's just so gorgeous. I am really happy you said you didn't really enjoy Beautiful Creatures, when I read it I kind of felt like I was the only person who didn't love that book.ReplyDelete
Great answers :) My End of Year Survey.
LOL... I even received a bunch of giveaway items for Beautiful Creatures from the local movie theater to give away and get people to go to the movie. So I felt bad for putting up a review where I didn't like the movie. Oh well....Delete