Thursday, April 17, 2014

National Library Week 2014


Since this is National Library Week I didn't want to let it go by without giving libraries some love.  I really discovered my local library in 2007.  I went in and looked around and finally picked up Life of Pi.  I went home and read it and thought how fascinating it was that I got so much entertainment for free.  I have been hooked ever since.  My library not only checks out books, but also movies AND video games.  I have checked out countless items.

I thought I would share a list of the reasons why I cherish libraries so much!

1.  Digital Library - I love that the library is now so digital.  I don't even have to leave my house to check out comics, magazines or books.  I use Overdrive with my library for books, Comicsplus for comics, and Zino to check out magazines.  The magazines my library has goes from Martha Stewart, Oprah and In Style! Your library has to be signed up with these apps in order to use them.  If your library is not using ComicsPlus or Zino suggest that they do!

2. Checking out books/comics/video games/ movies.  I love that I can check out video games from my library.. and I get to keep them for 7 days!! Movies too.  There is not only the 7 day check out but the rapid view check outs that I can watch in no time.

3. Architecture.  Ok for some this may seem like an odd reason to love a library.. but seriously some places have their libraries in amazing buildings.  The Salt Lake City Library is one of the most fabulous libraries I have ever visited.  I love libraries in big cities, even the Denver Public Library has a neat building.

The American Library Association asks us to tweet about how the library has changed our lives using the hashtag #LivesChange and #NLW14. What about you?  Do you love your library?  Do you not use your library?  Maybe since this is National Library Week you should take the time to stop by your local one and show some love. Just look around and see what they have to offer.



11 comments:

  1. Whoa...what are Comicsplus and Zino? I don't know them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally get a library's architecture too! One of the best ones I've been to is the Public Library in Seattle, WA and it is seriously the best!! It's so modern, yet I appreciated the architectural art behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm okay with our libraries though wouldn't say they're much to look at in our town. It's pretty small and in a non descript building but have seen some amazing ones. And some I so wouldn't mind living in. ::snort:: They did just expand our romance section which totally made me do a girly sigh lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! I knew that libraries had gone digital with a lot of books, but I didn't realize magazines, etc. were included in the mix.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally love my library and think it is full of so many great services. I'm going to post about libraries during my library book readathon in June. I hope you will join.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, Now that one is on my bucket list of libraries to visit. I really do make an effort when I am in a new city to stop by and see what their library looks like!! I think it is fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes... of course living in one would be amazing. I mean... I don't even know. I think I might just end up quitting video games and movies/TV and just read forevermore.

    ReplyDelete
  8. YES!! I love it soooo much. If I am bored I just sit on my tablet and look through the magazines. I even sometimes check out the celebrity gossip ones like People since hey it's free and no one can see me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun idea. All my books come from the library so practically every book I read will count for that readathon! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I work at one of my local libraries so we've been "celebrating" all week long. Libraries really are great. I got most of my books as a child because of them. When i started working at one, I found myself checking out more books too!

    Lauren from www.shootingstarsmag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love some of the library workers at my library. There is going to be a new huge building downtown here that opens up this year that I am excited to check out once it opens. I think they are using an old building so the architecture won't be great but the inside should be nice.

    ReplyDelete