Monday, April 7, 2014

Top Ten Most Unique Books

It’s Top Ten Tuesday, hosted by the wonderful blog at The Broke and the Bookish! This week's topic is Top Ten Most Unique Books.   I decided this week I would do a top ten of the most unique designed books I have read.  Ones that are unique and fun to read as far as the set up goes.


I would love to add more to this list... if you have any neat books please suggest them to me in the comments!

1.  S by JJ Abrams this book is so neat.  You read the main story line, and in the margins is a whole different story line between two people reading the book.  There are also inserts in the book to help your experience be even better.


2. Dragonology  -The Ology books are fun.  The first one Dragonology I love.  You learn all about dragons by feeling their scales, wings and even feel their skin.  It's very creative!



3.   The 39 Clue Series-  This book series is one I picked up because each book in the series is written by a different author.  I thought this was really a neat idea.  So each author picks up the story line where the last author left off.

4.  Tales of Beetle the Bard by JK Rowling Special Edition.  This set is pretty amazing.  I remember when we first ordered it I didn't want to spend the money but it was really in a nice set.  I looked it up tonight and it is now going for $400!!  WOW!



5.  The Composer is Dead by Lemony Snicket.  This is a neat book. You join the Inspector as he interrogates all the unusual suspects. While reading you listen to the accompanying audio recording featuring Lemony Snicket and the music of Nathaniel Stookey performed by the San Francisco Symphony. Hear for yourself exactly what took place on that fateful, well-orchestrated evening.  Really a unique experience. 


6.  Of course how could I leave out Choose Your Own Adventure books.  I always think these are a neat experience.  You can find them in pretty much any theme.  

7. Where's Waldo.  I love these books.  I have since I was a little girl.  I find them unique to other books (though years later Eye Spy came out.. just not the same).  I love to spend hours staring at the images and seeing what I can find in the pictures! 

8. Star Wars A Pop-up Guide the Galaxy.  I love pop-up books sooooo much. The one that got me interested in them again was this one.  I love that there are even lightsabers that glow in the book.  Pop-ups are a really unique way to get more out of a book. 
Lightsabers light up!

9. The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown illustrated version is pretty amazing.  I really enjoyed reading both this and Angel's and Demons illustrated versions.  Since there are so many art pieces and historical places mentioned it's nice to actually see what they look like. 

Inside of DaVinci Code
10.  Well I am going to make graphic novels/comics the last in my most unique books. I love to read books and look at art at the same time.  AMAZING!

Can't wait to see what unique books you have read.

42 comments:

  1. It was really good actually. It kept me thinking LONG after I finished it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen The 39 Clue books, but I didn't know that each book was written by a different author. That is intriguing and clever. I might have to read those now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some good ones here and I agree with the Star Wars PopUp = we have that in our library and have added S to my TBR List. Check out mine @ The Phantom Paragrapher - www.thephantomparagrapher.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want "S" sooooo bad, It looks like the most awesome book ever with all these postcards and stuff. If it weren't so expensive I would have already bought it. :D

    My TTT: http://itsallaboutbooks.de/2014/04/top-ten-most-unique-books-ive-read/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jessica @ a GREAT readApril 8, 2014 at 4:24 AM

    Ooh nice! I have to say, nearly all these are new to me but love your pics!

    Here's my Tuesday post

    Have a GREAT
    day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. S looks so awesome! This just proves that JJ Abrams is one of the most epic people on the planet. My nerd isn't showing or anything ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Under The Skin is probably the most unique book I've read lately. I don't know if I'd call it "good" because it gets really boring at parts, but it's definitely unique!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Where's Wally books and Choose your Own Adventure, a unique take on this Top Ten Tuesday Angela!

    Jeann @ Happy Indulgence

    ReplyDelete
  9. Emily @ Oh Magic HourApril 8, 2014 at 6:57 AM

    Oh I love the way you went about this! One of my favorite reads like this was the Griffin & Sabine trilogy, which is a time travel love story told through ephemera like postcards and whatnot - and they are actually in the book. So beautiful. I read it when I was young and it has really stuck with me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. JJ Abrams has a book?! must read this! And yeah, I loved Waldo as a kid (and as an adult). Such fun books!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a good call on Waldo and the Jane Austen choose your own adventure story. Both are very unique ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your take on this, I can think of a few more interesting books that weren't necessarily straight fiction. S looks crazy, and I don't know if it is the good kind!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Valerie @ Innocent SmileyApril 8, 2014 at 10:04 AM

    I want to read S so bad!! Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awww, this post is so cool! *gonna bookmark it for later... use ;)

    S!! <3

    And I need that Choose Your Own Adventure book. (So *I* can end up with Mr Darcy or maybe I'd choose Fitzwilliam. Haha.)
    Dragonology! I love me some dragons!! And that site looks Fantastic! I'll have to explore it :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I got my copy from the library. They did have the cutouts mixed up but I found a blog that had them in order so that really helped me out!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Star Wars Pop-up is so amazing. I think there is another one out now that I saw when I was looking around. So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  17. JJ Abrams is the coolest guy EVER. I mean.. the movies, TV shows.. and now BOOKS!! WOW

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ohhh I'll look that book up! I love to add some uniqueness to my reading. It gets me out of reading slumps.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love that Waldo is called different names in different parts of the world. Where's Wally actually gets a lot more products then Where's Waldo too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh now this sounds like a really neat and different read. I must check this out! Ok... so you peaked my interest and I just put it on hold at the library! Thanks for the suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  21. JJ Abrams book is soooooo good!! You must read it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Waldo is just so fun. I love it. I have even seen wallpaper with Waldo on it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. S is a unique read. I heard the book Possession is similar to S. With the margins having a separate story. Really just neat.

    ReplyDelete
  24. That site is cool!! I just put Dinosaurology on hold because I haven't read that one yet and didn't realize the ology series had a new book out! Really fun.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Tales of Beetle the Bard was brilliant, and very unique. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you!!! That book cover and the book itself in Beetle the Bard is pretty amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great choices; I like how you included unique set ups of books. Those are always nice. I can't really think of anything similar to suggest...love graphic novels though!!
    Oh wait! There's Level 26 by Anthony Zuiker. There are parts throughout the book that tell you to get online and watch a video and it's a wonderfully done video that fits with the book.
    Lauren from www.shootingstarsmag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Michelle {Book Hangovers}April 8, 2014 at 12:01 PM

    Love your list Angela! I've been dying to read S! I love books like that. That have all the goody's inside! Books that interact with their readers. It's so awesome!!!

    Check out my Top Ten

    Michelle ~ Book Hangovers Blabs Books

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ooohhhh that sounds really cool. I am going to look that up right now!! I love when books include things online. I read a book like that... humm.. I think it was Why We Broke Up but now I can't remember!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Yes!! Books that interact with readers. That is exactly what this post is about but I just didn't know the right words. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Ashley @ Lovely LiteratureApril 9, 2014 at 8:34 AM

    What a great list! Who can forget the choose your own adventure stories? I loved those!

    I can say my copy of Tales of Beetle the Bard doesn't look like that and I'm extremely jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I didn't really want that copy of Beetle the Bard. It was really expensive. But now I am glad that I have it after all!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Such a fun list!! I can't wait until I have an excuse to buy Where's Waldo books and pour over them. LOL! One of the more unique books I've read is Half Asleep in Frog Pajamas by Tom Robbins. It's written in 2nd person.

    ReplyDelete
  34. You need tiffs The Thorn And The Blossom by Theodora Goss. It has an accordion binding, one story then turn it upside down and backwards and you get the story from thrifts point of view. Here is my review of it. http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com/2012/01/thorn-and-blossom-by-theodora-goss.html

    ReplyDelete
  35. The composer is dead sounds really cool. I will have to check this out. Was this one you got from your library or did you buy this? S also looks pretty good. I might look into that one as well.

    ReplyDelete
  36. That was going to be my next question, would it be good to read to my little ones. This sounds really cool and I will head over to my library's web page and look for it. If I can't find it there Amazon her I come.

    Great list of books. I have Dragonology and the Egyptology one. They are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  37. It is actually a children's book if I remember correctly. I look forward to hearing what you guys think!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Yep! But from what I understand, the movie is changing a lot of things.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I read The Composer is Dead about 4 years ago, but I'm definitely going to check it out again, since I think my library has it and I'd love to see what I make of it now! I really love Lemony Snicket's work, so I'll no doubt find it enthralling.
    Did you know that in Australia, and some other countries I think, it's called Where's Wally instead of Waldo! I found that out last year and was very surprised- it's just the same, only with a name change. I have no idea why it is so, though! Still, I totally agree that it's fantastic, and the detail... that's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I did know that about Waldo. I learned about it when I started blogging. In fact, the UK has WAY more products then the US which bums me out. I want more products here!

    ReplyDelete