Thursday, April 3, 2014

The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon by Stephen King Pop Up Book


I read the Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon by Stephen King long ago. I remember because my mom spoiled it for me (yea mom I'm talking about you on my blog).  She was like... "have you got to this part".... turned out that part was a pretty big deal.  I still love you mom!  Anyways.. then I kept seeing the Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon as a popup book at Barnes and Nobles but could never look inside because it was wrapped up.  Finally I got my hands on it.  Here is the goodreads description:

Nine-year-old Trisha McFarland strays from the path while she and her recently divorced mother and brother take a hike along a branch of the Appalachian Trail. Lost for days, wandering farther and farther astray, Trisha has only her portable radio for comfort. A huge fan of Tom Gordon, a Boston Red Sox relief pitcher, she listens to baseball games and fantasizes that her hero will save her. Nature isn't her only adversary, though - something dangerous may be tracking Trisha through the dark woods.  

I was able to get a copy of the pop-up edition from my library through their inter-loan system.  I was really happy they were able to get it for me. This is a spooky story.  One about a girl who has to survive being in the woods alone.  If you have ever been in the woods.. and I mean the deep woods you would know that this would be pretty terrifying! The book is one of King's best... it's one where he explores our minds.  How would we psychologically be in a situation like this.

Girl gets separated from her parents
Trisha is the girl who gets lost in the woods. While in the woods she fins out she is not alone. She talks to her pal Tom Gordon, who is the Red Sox pitcher.  She is a huge fan of baseball and she and him have fun imaginative conversations. There is something else in the in the woods with her that she doesn't want to find out what it is.


As far as the pop-up book I didn't love it.  I have seen better.  I just thought some of the parts that were part of the pop up was the same.  There were two forest scenes and I thought that could've been better (like there could've been a different one figured out).  Just seeing one of King's books in pop-up form though is super fun. I think it would be fun to read this for the first time with the pop-up illustrations.  

Beat up truck in book
Overall this is a wonderful story... the pop-up book is just a neat addition. It would be perfect for someone who is a King fan too.

What does the crystal ball say (this is for the popup parts only) the story part gets 5 stars :




Fog is coming.....  in the middle of the road on this book!




26 comments:

  1. Michelle {Book Hangovers}April 3, 2014 at 8:11 AM

    WOW! How freakin cool is that! I have got to get my hands on this! A pop up book for a Stephen King novel?!?! That's sick!

    Thank you for sharing! I would of never known ;)

    Michelle ~ Book Hangovers Blabs Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that is so awesome! I haven't read The Girl Who Loves Tom Gordon yet but I'm a huge Stephen King fan. I'll have to add this one to my collection! Thank you so much for sharing!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so curious to check this out one of these days. Those pics you've got up there are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I over pop-up books. They are so much fun. Id like to see It as a pop-up even if I'm scared to death of clowns.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read a pop-up book in such a long time, and this looks very cool. Thanks for posting this... its given me an idea for a perfect birthday gift for my niece!! Although you've mentioned you're not too fond of pop-up parts, but I still reckon it represents good value.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had never heard of a Stephen King's pop up book. That's pretty amazing! I would love to get my hands on it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, pop-up- version? Amazing, never heard of it for a SK novel either. I only know them as children's books (fairytales etc). It's almost a collectors item for a King fan :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't know that there were pop up books from Steven King!!! That's super awesome, I'm gonna have to get my hands on couple

    ReplyDelete
  9. YES!! I know!! Who ever thought of this is genius. They had to do it with one of his shorter novels and this is just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This would be the perfect one to read then... skip the normal book and read along with the pop-up. It isn't in print anymore so it might be hard to find.

    ReplyDelete
  11. HA! Thanks!! I tried to be like some sort of amazing photographer. It was a little hard since some of the pop-ups were a little ripped so I skipped those. The book is older so it doesn't surprise me since it's a library book.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OH MAN! IT as a pop-up book would be amazing. That would be one of the better books of King's to do. Another might be Salem's Lot ... vampires as pop-ups!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pop-up books are so fun. I love too when they are pop-ups for adult books. The pop-up parts in this book are fun but I think maybe too much of the same theme going on. Though who am I to complain??? King in pop-up form is Epic!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wish I would've bought it back in the day . I just went over to amazon though and they are selling it new for $25. WOW... I thought it would cost way more then that since it's out of print.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think too for a Stephen King Fan this is a must. There are a few people in my King group who read everything and own everything and this is unique so I am sure it's on their list.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is the only one. :( I wish there were more.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So interesting that the made a pop-up book out of a Stephen King story! Maybe this is the format for me since I can be a wimp about scary stories. LOL But actually this made me interested to know what is following Trisha in the woods, so I think I'll pick up the novel!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It isn't very long either. It is one of King's shorter books. It is really a good psychological thriller. I would be interested in what you think about it if you do pick it up!

    ReplyDelete
  19. VERY COOL. When I read this novel King did his setting so well I was scratching my psychosomatic bug bites.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I believe that the ending to this book is totally tied to the Dark Tower!

    ReplyDelete
  21. OMG, a Stephen King pop-up book!!! *wants* I've read Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon years ago, and really enjoyed it, so it would be fun to relive the experience through this fun looking book:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. It is neat to read it with pop-ups and pictures. I don't love how Trisha looks... but otherwise it is really neat.

    ReplyDelete
  23. So the idea of a king book in pop-up form sounds awesome. Sorry it was kin for underwhelming. I have an amazing Batman pop up book. I should do a post on that some time.

    I haven't read this book yet and now it sounds like a great story. Although being a Cardinals can I usually grumble my way through King's love of the Red Soxs. I loved this post.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I don't think I ever imagined there would be pop up books of a Stephen King book! The novel itself is one of my faves, and it's one I like to tell people about when they say "Oh, I don't read King because he just writes horror"

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm not a huge baseball fan either. I watch during the playoffs but I'm a Hockey Fan. I do bleed blue for my Blues. Which got crushed by your Avalanche guys today so I'm a bit bummed about that.

    You have inspired me. In the next few weeks I'll post about my Batman pop up. I actually have a few post scheduled for a change. It's nice to be ahead of the game a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I was just at an Avalanche game. It was so fun!! I can't wait to see the pop-up!!!!!! Honestly I love them so much. I wish my library had more. I hate to request them all through interlibrary loan though since they have to pay extra for that.

    ReplyDelete