Friday, April 18, 2014

Project Disney- Winnie the Pooh (2011)



Project Disney: The plan is to tackle all of the Disney films, re-reading the classic stories and tales that inspired many of them and to look at how the changes the filmmakers made, the new elements they introduced and the essential elements they kept. We will, of course, be talking about the films as movies as well, saying why we enjoy them and what some of our favorite moments are, but our focus will be on looking at them as adaptations. For the films that are not drawn from any one work we’ll be looking at some of the possible literary influences that we see in the stories. I am participating in Project Disney inspired by Picture Me Reading!  

I have really grown a new love for Winnie the Pooh. Before starting Project Disney I had forgotten that Disney released 2 full length theatrical Pooh movies. The second one (this week's Project Disney) came out in 2011. There are 5 Pooh movies released in Theaters but this one falls under the Walt Disney Animated Classic Movies which are the ones I am covering under Project Disney. Unlike the first Pooh movie The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, this movie doesn't stay as close to the original stories by A.A. Milne.  This movie does include scenes from the stories "In Which Eeyore Loses a Tail and Pooh Finds One" and "In Which Piglet Meets a Heffalump" from Winnie the Pooh. The other story is found in The House at Pooh Corner: "In Which Rabbit Has a Busy Day and We Learn What Christopher Robin Does in the Mornings".


 I like that this movie follows the format of the first movie.  Both movies start out with scenes from Christopher Robin's bedroom with the opening of a story book.  Also both movies have animated scenes that take place inside a book.  It is much too short of a film... only 70 minutes long.   This movie's plot is about a sign that everyone find that says Christopher Robin will be back soon.  But Owl reads it as Christopher Robin is captured by a Backson!

They set up a trap for the Backson and Pooh falls into it.  There is an amazing play on words during this part of the film. The whole gang (Owl, Eeyore, Kangaroo, Roo, Rabbit and Pooh) all fall into the pit except Piglet. It doesn't even dawn on them that Owl can get them out!!


Really these films and stories are quite enjoyable.  I am so glad to have revisited the world of Pooh as an adult.  This film is much more modern then The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh but still has that wonderful feeling of innocence. For Project Disney I was not really excited about the Pooh films or books.  Once I read the book and watched the movies though I was very impressed.  If you have visited Pooh in years like myself you should give it another go.  The film ends like all Pooh films should end.. with Christopher Robin and Pooh walking off together, best friends for life.


Check out my other Project Disney:
Snow White
Cinderella
Peter Pan
Treasure Planet
Sleeping Beauty
The Great Mouse Detective 
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
The Princess and the Frog
Pinocchio 
Fantasia 
Beauty and the Beast
Lady and the Tramp
Alice in Wonderland
The Rescuers
The Rescuers Down Under
Tangled
Oliver and Company
Mulan
The Little Mermaid
Bambi
101 Dalmatians
Frozen
Fantasia 2000
The Jungle Book
The Emperor's New Groove
The Sword in the Stone
Aladdin
Atlantis
The Aristocats
The Lion King
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
Robin Hood
Hercules
Pocahontas
Dumbo
The Black Cauldron 
Mary Poppins
Lilo and Stitch
The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad
Make Mine Music
Tarzan
Fox and the Hound
Melody Time 

12 comments:

  1. I loved this one! It was super cute, and the ending is always adorable. I went and saw the film with my mom in theaters and she really liked it too!

    Lauren from www.shootingstarsmag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I have this one but haven't watched it yet! I'm glad this was still so enjoyable - I feel like I remember it did well in the theater. Do you have a favorite between the older film and this one?

    ReplyDelete
  3. How come I haven't seen this project of yours earlier! It's so interesting. I have never read Winnie the Pooh when I was a kid but I have read it to my little niece only few months ago. I have seen the movie though and loved it. Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH wow... good question. The older one is memorable to me..from when I was a little girl. The newer one is clever and adds new songs. I suppose I like the art work in both too. I love that the map in the 2011 film comes to life and I like that the older movie has the characters running around on the pages of the books. I have to say the older one is more of my favorite. That was a good question!! After you watch this one I would like to know which one you like better too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad you enjoyed this post! You will have to for sure go and check out some other Project Disney posts. I am a little sad that I'll be finished with it this year. Probably around September I will have cover/watched all the films. Winnie the Pooh book is amazing, and now that you said that I wonder if my nephew has a copy?? Going to ask my sister right now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember some of the Pooh cartoons, but don't remember reading any of the books as I wasn't really a big fan. I think I appreciate him more now that I'm an adult, as I love his relationship with his friends!

    Terri @ Alexia's Books and Such...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay I will let you know! But they both seem like such good films that I'm sure I'll have a hard time deciding!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How funny that I too appreciate Pooh more as an adult. Until this Project Disney I had totally just disregarded Pooh. I am glad that I revisited the movies and the book as an adult. I really think Pooh is sweet and so are his stories and I don't find that a lot as an adult in books/movies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have come into this TOO late! I love Disney! Winnie the Pooh was one of my childhood favorites, not just for the cartoons (I'm not sure there were Pooh movies back then, I just watched whatever was on the Disney channel), but the books as well. You've already covered a lot of my other favorites, so I'm going to have to flip through your list ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't see anything about Pooh and not think of Eeyore.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is never too late to look at Project Disney!!! I love it soooo much. Right now I am already reading the next book for next weeks (Robin Hood). I have enjoyed it sooo much. I love all the music Winnie the Pooh has in the movies. I hope to see you stay on the Project Disney journey and maybe start in on it too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Eeyore. He is so misunderstood. Life is hard and he knows it!

    ReplyDelete