Thursday, March 6, 2014

Comic Adventures Issue #6


I read a lot of comics and rarely review them here on the blog. That's because I really don't have a lot to say for an entire post.  So I thought I would review several comics on one post.  I will still review graphic novels on their own now and then, but this is where I will talk about super-hero type comics (DC/Marvel) or sequels to some that I have already reviewed.

This issue I talk about Catwoman Volume 3 Death of the Family, Birds of Prey Volume 3 A Clash of Daggers, Batman Detective Comics Volume 3 Emperor Penguin, and Green Lantern Volume 3 The End.


Well... I was really loving Catwoman.  The first two volumes were excellent.  Then the authors changed. This was one of those volumes that kind of went all over the place. I loved the Joker part (which is apart of the DC arc Death of the Family) but then after that the volume didn't really mesh. I am happy to see Catwoman and Batman back together in this comic but it was out of nowhere.  Just looking at the review for this one and most people feel the same way.  Bummer because this is one of the DC new 52 I was loving.  2 out 5




I love Birds of Prey so much.  Volume 3 is fabulous! There is a great Court of Owls issue in this that includes Catwoman.  We are introduced to two new members in this book too.  Including a man, Condor.  I am looking forward to where that goes. A Court of Owl member also joins the team, Strix, which I really love.  To see a Court of Owl member become more human is neat.  We also see Black Canary losing control of her powers and trying to discover why this is happening.  5 out of 5



 I am really enjoying the Batman Detective Comics.  This one has a big arc from the big Death of the Family story but also includes some good side stories.  These include stories about Poison Ivy and Clayface, and Emperor Penguin.  I like seeing Batman when he is interacting with woman.  It's fun to see Poison Ivy flirt with him.  The Joker story kind of takes away from the Penguin story but I am sure that is going to pick up big time in Volume 4.  I am starting to get caught up in all the comics I am reading to their current release date so I will actually have to wait for that issue!  NOOO!! The art work is amazing in this too.. Batman looks so dark.  We get a little Nightwing and Damion action in it too. 4 out of 5

This is the last Green Lantern book that Geoff Johns writes.  Which is too bad, he is a great writer and has done a fantastic job.  In this volume we go to the all out war with the first lantern.  I actually read a little bit about this in the Volume 3 of the Red Lantern series.  This book introduces us to Simon Baz is a Lebanese American who talks about racism in America after 9/11.  I love that they have introduced a character experiencing this (not that I love it's happening to him). He is a funny character, the Justice League comes to stop him and find out who he is and the way he gets away is hilarious!  This is a great comic.  Lots going on but a good ending.  I'll have to see how the new writer does.  5 out of 5.




Well that's it for comics this time around... can't wait to read what comics come into the library next!!

I am now up to 22 books towards my Graphic Novel Reading Challenge!

Bout of Books


*** Make sure your Disqus ID has your blog listed in your profile so I can visit your blog back, or leave a link to your blog.  If you can't see the comments contact me.***

2 comments:

  1. Nice reviews! sorry the latest Catwoman didn't work for you, but it sounds like the rest were good stories. Your reviews have really gotten me curious about checking out some of these comics.
    Lauren from www.shootingstarsmag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Catwoman one looks awesome!

    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete