Monday, March 10, 2014

300: Rise of an Empire - Movie Review


Well... what can I say about this movie.  Well for one if you don't like blood, nudity, and didn't like the first 300 movie well you won't like this one.  I do like the look and feel of the first 300 so we went and saw this one in IMAX.  Basically this is the movie 300 but instead of on land we are now on water.  Who knew ship fights could be so bloody?

In Rise of an Empire there is a lot more plot then what we saw in 300, which actually makes the film move slowly along.  Rise of an Empire is based on a still to be published graphic novel by Frank Miller (who wrote the original 300 graphic novel).  We lose some of the cool mystical images in the backgrounds of the set in Rise.   The movie doesn't have any amazing quotes like THIS IS SPARTA!


To be honest if you didn't love 300 then this film is probably a rental for you.. though unless you have a home theater you will lose out on the amazing CGI.  I rate this a B-.

10 comments:

  1. Hmm, I don't know if I would like this - I actually enjoyed 300 even though I'm not into gory movies, but with this the novelty of the style is gone, and I would probably be more interested if it had a really great story. But maybe I'll netflix it one day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen 300, but I've heard it's awesome, and I do love Gerard Butler. I didn't know these were graphic novels! I need to check that out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved 300. I remember really being impressed by the film. You are right though... the novelty has warn off. My husband even said the blood looked more fake in this one.. which now that I think about it is kind of funny because of course it does. But I guess it didn't have a polished look to him. I would say this is a rental.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes... 300 is really good but be ready for violence and lots of it. I will say I haven't had a chance to read the 300 graphic novel... Frank Miller also wrote the Sin City graphic novels and I haven't read that one either. I need to get started on those!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't seen the first 300 movie and I can't say I'm a fan of blood or nudity in movies haha. I have to say though that I absolutely love the movie cover! The colors and the grungy look are cool =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The nudity scene in this movie then is very explicit. So if that makes you turn a movie off then this is for sure not for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I seriously loved 300. The cinematography, soundtrack and quotes were to die for and I didn't mind the blood. I'm not sure how I feel about this one though. 300 being a standalone made it very special to me. I'll probably still watch it and hopefully love it.


    -Mari

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the brutal honesty of the first sentence. I adored the original 300. I even have a scene from the film in black and white as artwork on my wall. I can't wait to see this one! Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. I was expecting pretty much what you've said. Jaclyn @ JC's Book Haven.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was good... totally my type of movie. I wouldn't buy it because I don't need to see it over and over again but still just fun fun stuff. I love going to the movies and this is one of those films I really think is fun at the theater.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dam Eva Green was stunning visually and acting wise ! I d gladly let her chop my head off if it ment a kiss !

    ReplyDelete