Wednesday, March 26, 2014

South Park The Stick of Truth - Video Game Review


 

Honestly... I didn't really plan on playing this game.  I don't watch South Park faithfully but still enjoy it.  I have actually been to the town of South Park and have even taken a picture with the sign in the town!  Then I was looking at trailers for video games and there was a 15 minute preview of the game play for Stick of Truth and I was sold!



 I knew it was totally my type of game play. My friend bought it on PC and said the game is about 10 hours of game time so I of course ran over to Redbox and rented it. Let me tell you though, if you have never seen South Park, and have no idea how offensive it can be this game is probably not for you.   I am going to talk about BAD things in this review.  I am not usually raunchy on this blog but the things I am going to talk about are gross and not for kids.  It is shocking.. some so shocking I was glad I was playing the game with my husband so he could take over on the gross parts.   So if you don't want to read about nasty, politically incorrect stuff then stop reading!

I enjoyed this game.  It is super fun and funny.  At the same time I was offended and shocked.  I stopped watching South Park years ago, though I still watch the occasional episode (like the recent Game of Thrones episodes). I don't think you have to be a watcher of the show to enjoy the game.

Cartman killing with farts

This game plays like an RPG which is why I liked it so much.  The fighting style is like Final Fantasy, you even get special moves.  I like that you can run around South Park and do different side quests. The main quest though pokes fun at the whole fantasy genre. But then of course you have the typical South Park humor including some crazy alien butt probing. Also a few sex scenes, lots of swearing, and a few other crazy scenes.  I don't want to give away too much so if you are dying to know more about what happens in the game google it.

This game is not for everyone.  While I did enjoy it, sometimes it was WAY too much for me.  Dang South Park!!   If you can get past some of the more offensive scenes and you love RPG then this game is for you.  The end of the game did get kind of long.  I felt some parts were just drug out, including the last boss fight scene.  I give this game a 7 out of 10!



17 comments:

  1. I'm not much of a gamer but I love the tv show :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. A friend of mine really loved this game found it super funny. I think I would be more like you in the way of offended and shocked at some bits. I am when I watch the show - which is rarely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! I'll probably never play this, but that is hilarious! I didn't know they had South Park games. My favorite episode is the World of Warcraft one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha this looks epic! I need to start renting some Redbox video games, I haven't done that yet

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely sounds suitable for fans of the show. I used to watch it when I was younger, because my brother loved it. haha
    Lauren from www.shootingstarsmag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd have Trey Parker and Matt Stone's babies... AT THE SAME TIME. I'm so pissed I just got rid of my Xbox 360... This is the first game I've wanted to play in years. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Then you would just love love this game!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is a great game. I mean.. super fun. I played it with a few people too and with more people in the room it makes it even more fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes the World of Warcraft!!! Love it!!! Some episodes are just really really good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Redbox video games. I beat them in 1 day and only pay $2!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't watch it regularly myself. Back in the 90s I watched it a lot. Then I just didn't care for it as much anymore. But this game is super fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is really really fun!!! That totally sucks you got rid of your xbox when it comes out. The game is available on PC too from Steam so you can play it that way if your PC is powerful enough.

    ReplyDelete
  13. ^ MacBook Pro (2009!!) :X Time for a new machine.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't played this one, but older South Park games, and yeah the show is over the top but it does make me giggle.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I remember a South Park game on the Nintendo 64!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My fiance has played this through 4 or 5 times in the past couple of weeks. (So glad we have Gamefly!) He loves it. I'm not a huge fan of the show, but I do like the last few seasons. It's kind of on & off for me. But I do know that they left plenty material for at least one more game!

    I laugh every time at the part when you're with Randy in the bathroom near the beginning! We love Randy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. If I hadn't have rented the game I would play it several times through too! You can just make different choices and pick a different class everyt ime.

    ReplyDelete