Monday, December 23, 2013

Best Books I've read in 2013


This event runs for five consecutive days, the last full week of the year – Monday, December 23rd to Friday, December 27th. Five days in which we share of some of our favorite lists and we invite ALL of YOU to join in on the fun and share your lists with everyone too!  It is hosted by FIKTshun , Magical Urban Fantasy Reads , and Two Chicks on Books.

Today is the Best Books I’ve Read in 2013 (Doesn’t have to be released in 2013, just a book you’ve read in 2013).  So here is my list in no particular order:

The Diviners by Libba Bray.  I really enjoyed this book.. it is long but worth it if you take the time to sit down and read it.  I am trying to not start anymore series but my book club picked this one so I joined in and enjoyed it.











Bittersweet by Sarah Ockler.  So glad I read this cute book!  I don't normally read contemporary book but I am glad I did.  This was another book club pick.. sometimes you can just discover great books through book clubs that you may not have picked up at any other time.  



 

Fables by Bill Willingham.  I am so glad I started this graphic novel series this year.  Apparently it's been around a long time so at least most of the graphic novels are already published.  It's a really good fairytale retelling.





 

Horns by Joe Hill.  I love love this book.  I am a King fan so when I heard about his son writing books I knew I needed to read them.  I kept putting it off and finally just read this one and thought it was great!





 

Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo is book 2 in the Grisha young adult book series.  I have been doing my best to keep up with book series and not fall behind.  This was a really good book 2!








Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell.  Here is another book club pick that I read and loved.  Now I have discovered a new author where I want to read everything she writes!









Days of Blood and Starlight by Laini Taylor is another book 2 in a trilogy.  I loved it.  I think this is a really neat series and most people I have seen doing reviews on it love it also.








Legend by Marie Lu is another series I started this year but luckily the whole series came out this year so I don't have to wait too long for the next books!











The Arrival by Shaun Tan is a beautiful graphic novel.  As some of you know I am always looking for a graphic novel that is outside the box and this one fits perfect.  Check out my review to see the amazing art work.









The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey is another series I started this year... but this book is very good.  I am glad to have joined in this journey!











What about you... what were the best books you read in 2013??? 

18 comments:

  1. Of these, the only one I've read is Fables. (Which I agree is just fantastic.) Heard good things about The 5th Wave, though, it's on the list.

    I've been struggling with my own Best Books Read in 2013 list. I'll go with Joyland by Stephen King, Lunar Park by Bret Easton Ellis, The Phoenicians: Purple Empire of the Ancient World by Gerhard Herm, Love Me by Garrison Keillor, and Confessions of an Economic Hit Man by John Perkins.

    Maybe Model Behavior by Jay McInerny, as well, that was very surprising. (Oh, and Generation A by Doug Coupland.)

    Ho Ho Ho! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to read Joyland... my mom is sitting here since she is here for the holidays and says she loves Joyland too. Merry Christmas !!

      Delete
  2. I am only familiar with Siege, Eleanor and Park, Days of blood and Starlight, Legend and the 5th wave. But I haven't read them yet.

    I've already read Shadow and Bone, and DOSB. Sadly, they were just okay reads for me. I hope Siege and DOBS will prove to be more enjoyable. I am going to finish the two series next year when the third installments are out.

    As for Legend and the 5th wave, I seriously want to get into them ASAP.

    And to answer your last question, I actually read a lot of awesome books this year... The Lumatere Chronicles, The Lunar Chronicles, Mistborn, These Broken Stars, Through The Ever Night and Into The Still Blue and blah blah blah...

    Thanks for sharing, Angie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mistborn I have heard great great things about. I just want to get to that series like now. Especially since I love fantasy!

      Delete
  3. I loved Days of Blood and Starlight too. I can't wait for the final book in the series to come out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome list! Thanks so much for taking part in our Top 10 of 2013 hosted by Two Chicks on Books, Fiktshun, and Magical Urban Fantasy Reads! Looking forward to seeing the rest of your Top 10’s :D
    Hugs,
    Jaime @ Two Chicks On Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I added the other blogs to the host names on my blog post. Sorry for not including you before!

      Delete
  5. So many on your list I haven't read- yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved Eleanor & Park. It is definitely one of my favorite books of the year too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to read the Diviners! I hope you have a happy holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I liked Elanor and Park, too. I linked to your list at my blog, Semicolon, and I also took the liberty of recommending a couple of books for your consideration in the future: http://www.semicolonblog.com/?p=21875

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've actually read only a couple of these: The 5th Wave & Eleanor &Park, but I loved them. The rest are on my TBR. Great list!

    ReplyDelete