Saturday, September 8, 2012

Locke & Key Volume 1 Welcome to Lovecraft by Joe Hill Review


I have been wanting to read this for a while... and then when I saw my library has them I checked them out right away!!!  Here is the goodreads description:


Locke & Key tells of Keyhouse, an unlikely New England mansion, with fantastic doors that transform all who dare to walk through them, and home to a hate-filled and relentless creature that will not rest until it forces open the most terrible door of them all Acclaimed suspense novelist and New York Times best-selling author Joe Hill (Heart-Shaped Box) creates an all-new story of dark fantasy and wonder, with astounding artwork from Gabriel Rodriguez.

Oh wow!! I love graphic novels. And I have to admit when I found out Joe Hill wrote one I was in. For those that don't know Joe Hill is Stephen King's son. And I love Stephen King. In fact I run the Stephen King Fan group on goodreads.  I will admit when I first heard about Joe Hill I thought he is a guy who is an author who is probably just popular because his dad is.  BUT NO! I promise you Joe Hill is good!   And I must admit I love all the graphic novels based on King's books.  Especially the Dark Tower graphic novels.  So I was totally in when I heard about these.

I have tried to get Hill to stop by the Stephen King group for a Q&A.  Though I am sure when your dad is as famous as King and the group is called "Stephen King Fans" then he probably totally expected to get bombarded with King questions.  Though I wouldn't let the group ask about King and if I saw I King question I would've just deleted it.  But alas the Q&A never happened.  :(  I also saw Joe Hill at Comic Con San Diego this year signing copies of Locke and Key.  I ALMOST got in line but I hadn't read any of them at that time and I was not sure how the conversation would've gone when I got in line.  So what was your favorite part... well I haven't exactly read them yet.  So I skipped out.  :(  Now I regret it.  Here is a pick though that I snapped of him!


OK so onto the review... this graphic novel is amazing!!!!  I love love love it.  I mean the story here is great.  Several keys that open several doors in the mansion (Key House) and each door opens different things.  The book is creepy and spooky and the art work by Gabriel Rodriguez is amazing.  It adds so much to the story!   Here are a couple images:

LOVE THESE!
I see some people compare this to the Sandman series by Neil Gaiman.  I don't know what to say about that since I could never get through Sandman.  I don't even know why!!!  Also did you know this was almost picked up for a TV series?  Here is the trailer... which is quite well made




I suppose I should stop here.. I mean I am about to put the next books on hold at the library!! If you like graphic novels, a good story, or anything spooky... read this now!!
Want to see my review on the other novels?
Head Games Volume 2
Crown of Shadows Volume 3
Keys to the Kingdom Volume 4
Clockworks Volume 5
Alpha and Omega Volume 6



No comments:

Post a Comment