This is my first year participating in The Perpetual Page Turner's End of Year Survey. Looks fun so I am totally in. I don't know why I wasn't involved before. Be sure to join in the fun and link up your survey on the linky!
1. Best Book You Read In 2013? (If you have to cheat — you can break it down by genre if you want or 2013 release vs. backlist)Oh wow! Starting off with the big question! Let's see.... is the The Diviners by Libba Bray. I really loved this book and was pleasantly surprised by how much.
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl ... I just didn't love it like everyone else!
3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013?I read a book for my Wizard of Oz month on the blog... it's Drama! The Four Dorothys by Paul Ruditis. I never expected to ever like that book.. I only picked it up because it was a retelling of Oz and I loved it sooo much.
4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013?I read Horns by Joe Hill this year and loved it so much. All my friends who love some good horror should pick this up. Plus is going to be a movie staring Harry Potter... oh I mean Daniel Radcliffe sooooo... yeah.
5. Best series you discovered in 2013?I almost read the entire Legend series by Marie Lu. I was reading the last book Champion and got half way through by had to return it to the library. SIGH... so I won't technically finish the series till 2014. But I really really enjoy it.
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2013?
Rainbow Rowell is a great author I discovered this year. I don't read a lot of contemporary fiction but I love her books.
7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?I listened to my first audio book this year... Under the Dome by Stephen King. While I really enjoyed it.. I tried a second audio and couldn't stand it (American Gods by Neil Gaiman). I even had some discussions about audio books too.
8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey was really really good and exciting. I loved it and am so glad I read it. I almost didn't!.
9. Book You Read In 2013 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
Genesis by Bernard Beckett was amazing and really made me think.
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013?Unearthly by Cynthia Hand
11. Most memorable character in 2013?I am going to pick Bigby from a comic book series I read Fables by Bill Willingham, he is pretty epic.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2013?
I read Every Day by David Levithan which is a about a person who switches bodies every single day. They live a different life... it was very beautiful to read about the lives of so many different people.
13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013?
I didn't really read any awe inspiring books this year. I did think Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell was pretty good and made me think about high school and what we didn't know about each other back then.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read?I have been reading A LOT of comics this year. I always had trouble reading comics prior because I couldn't figure out the order. Then DC came out with the New 52 and I knew exactly where to begins in that series. So that has been a lot of fun for me.
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2013?
I don't ever pay attention to quotes in books. Is that bad???
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?
How I did this: Went to my read books on Goodreads and sorted by page number and just looked for what I knew I read this yeaer that was the shortest and longest.
Shortest- How to Tell if Your Cat is Plotting to Kill you by the Oatmeal. A hilarious book!! Read it now.
Longest- Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Huge for my Project Disney... I loved this book sooo much!!
17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!Honestly even though I didn't LOVE the book I wanted to talk about the Maze Runner by James Dashner. There wasn't one scene I wanted to talk about it was the whole book. If you click on the link you can see... I wanted to talk about everything1!
18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).I liked the relationship between Hudson and her love interest in Bittersweet by Sarah Ockler (don't want to say who so I don't spoil it).
19. Favorite Book You Read in 2013 From An Author You’ve Read PreviouslyNotorious Nineteen by Janet Evanovich. I know the series is starting to be a broken record.... but the books are so short who cares. It makes for a fun afternoon of reading.
20. Best Book You Read In 2013 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:
I don't know anyone who reads... so I always look for neat graphic novels and I saw The Arrival by Shaun Tan on a blog (I forgot which one so I can't give credit!).
21. Genre You Read The Most From in 2013?
Comics and Graphic Novels. I like that I can sit down and in one hour finish a book.
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013?
I think I would totally be into Day from the Legend series by Marie Lu.
23. Best 2013 debut you read?
I don't think I read any debut books in 2013..
24. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?
For me since I read a lot of comics worlds are brought to life right on the page. Page by Paige by Laura Lee Gulledge really blew me away with the art and brought me right into the story.
25. Book That Was The Most Fun To Read in 2013?Honestly The Frog Princess by ED Baker was so much fun. I wanted to read the rest of the series but didn't get around to it. So many books so little time.....
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2013?Darth Vader and Son by Jeffery Brown... oh man... cry cry... just kidding that book is hilarious. I don't really cry in books or even want to read books that make me cry. Just not my style.
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2013?This year... I think I found a few blogs that I enjoy. Picture Me Reading is a fun blog and I think the bloggers ( a married couple Aiden and Alisa) are nice and really talk to their followers. Another Novel Reads is a cool blog because Kelley seems to be into all the same things I'm into (video games anyone???). A Bookish Heart ... if you haven't been to this blog then I feel bad for you! A Bookish Whimsy is such a fun blog too!! There are more ... you can see the blogs I love in my blog roll!
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2013?
I love my Maze Runner by James Dashner review. I went all out discussing the book. If you read it and want to get to talking about it well stop on by!
3. Best discussion you had on your blog?Let's see......
- If We Were Having Coffee
-Goodread and it's book clubs
-Where did all the book bloggers go?
-Book Trailers- do you watch?
4. Most thought-provoking review or discussion you read on somebody else’s blog?Gaw... I don't know. I don't remember discussions. Oh actually I bookmarked this one: A Bookish Heart's master post about words to inspire discussions on your blog. It is really good!!
5. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
This year I also went to a Stephen King book signing which is pretty amazing since he doesn't go on tours anymore. Fun year in books. Utah Book Month was a lot of fun too!
6. Best moment of book blogging/your book life in 2013?There are a few things I have been doing in my bookish life. I run two book clubs on goodreads.. The Stephen King Fans group and the Young Adult Book Club. I work really really hard to get people to participate and enjoy these clubs. I also have started a series on my blog called Project Disney hosted by Picture Me Reading where I am reading books and relating them to the movies. I do a new one every two weeks.
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?It was hard for me to figure out the most popular this year.... google analytics I didn't have start tracking my blog till the middle of this year so I had to depend on blogger's stats (and everyone says those are wrong and inflated). So I guess it was my review for Beautiful Creatures.
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?I wish that my Project Disney Bambi post got more love. It's my only Project Disney post that didn't get any comments. I know why this is... no one really loves Bambi. It's sad. But honestly the book is really really good. When I re-watched the movie as an adult it was pretty good too. Give Bambi a chance!! :)
9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
Hummm.... well... hummmm...
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?I honestly didn’t set any reading goals (okay besides the Goodreads one which I didn't meet!) I never participate in challenges because what I read depends on what comes into the library. I do read with my book club EVERY month so that is a challenge. I have also kept up on Project Disney and sometimes that is hard. I squeeze in the Disney books twice a month!
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2013 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2014?
I received Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell from the library once but didn't have time to read it so had to return it and now I am like number 60 so next time I get it I have to read it right away!
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2014 (non-debut)?
3. 2014 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
I am so behind on Debut books... I just watch other blogs and see what they are reading and then I jump on board.
4. Series Ending You Are Most Anticipating in 2014?
Infinite by Jodie Meadows... I can't wait!!
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2014?
I want to read 100 books next year. That is my goal every year and I seem to fall short by like 30 books! THIRTY!! Also next year I should be able to finish out my Project Disney. I am half way through and am determined to finish strong.
Phew... OK I finished Yeah!!!!! Yeahhhhhh!!! I am going to now stop by the links to all the other blogs who participated and check out their answers. If you are doing this.. leave me a link to yours. I would love to learn more about you and visit your blog.