Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Comic Adventures Issue #2


I read a lot of comics and rarely review them here on the blog. That's because I really don't have a lot to say for an entire post.  So I thought I would review several comics on one post.  I will still review graphic novels on their own now and then, but this is where I will talk about super-hero type comics (DC/Marvel) or sequels to some that I have already reviewed.

This week I've read Jack of Fables Vol 1 in the Fables series,  Oz: Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz by Marvel which is the 4th book in the series,  Catwoman Volume 1 from DC the New 52,

Let's start by talking about Jack of Fables Volume 1 written by Bill Willingham .  I am reading this because I got to volume 13 of the main arc of the Fables series called the great crossover which is where that series and the Jack series mix story lines.  Jack was in the Fables series at the very beginning and then branched off into his own series.. I had put off reading them but then when the series crossed over I figured I better go back and read the Jack of Fables series. I really enjoyed this series... Jack is a crazy character.  Totally bachelor and just all around playboy.  This series also looks like it is going to take place more in the literary world rather then just the fairytale world like the main Fable arc.  Love it! 5 stars!


Next up is Oz: Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz.  This is the 4th graphic novel in the Marvel Wizard of Oz series written by Eric Shanower Artist Skottie Young.  I didn't really love this comic.  Well it's wasn't the comic I suppose.  I just didn't enjoy this story of Oz.  There is a neat little 2 page explanation at the beginning of each volume and Shanower did say in it that people who are fans of Oz believe this to be Baum's darkest book.  I can see why.  It is just a little spooky and odd.  Invisible people, wooden city, glass city full of vegetable people. Plus it seems like everyone is out to kill Dorothy and her friends in this one.  The art is still fantastic and very Dr. Seuss style! 3 stars



I also read Catwoman Volume 1 from the new 52 by Judd Winick.  Wow is all I can say.  When I first started to read it I wasn't sure if I was going to like it.  The art style is a little... off from what I like.  But then as I read on I could feel what the characters were feeling through the art. I felt that Catwoman looked older then what I though, though she does state her age in the comic as 23.  Then the story takes off!  I mean she gets hot and steamy with Batman (who I might add is in a lot of the comic), her crime sprees are exciting to read about.  I love to see her as a real person.. it's just great!You feel everything that Selina (her real name) feels.  Greed, sympathy, the want to be noticed, love... everything. If you read about this comic when it first came out, there was a lot of controversy about her boobs... and her intimate relationship with Batman.  People are saying this kind of stuff is written for boys.. well I am a girl and I loved it to be honest.   Now let's look at the goods shall we?? 5 stars




Last we'll talk about Action Comics Superman Volume 2. What a mess. I mean... what is even going on? It's like they take a bunch of different comics and just mix them into one book. I have no idea what was going on. I like the look of Superman in this comic but that's about it.This comic goes from killing off superman's secret identity to not doing it and making people forget it happened, to an alternate universe ... not continuing that alternate universe ...there is an odd character named Adam who would be a pretty cool character if the comic would've just followed that story line.  I just didn't get it.  Will I read volume three???  Nah...  1 star




Well that's it for comics this time around... can't wait to read what comics come into the library next!!

16 comments:

  1. Nice reviews! I enjoy Fables, too -- and just ordered the Fables Encyclopedia for my library. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to check that out for sure. I hadn't heard about it yet. I wonder though if I should wait to read it until I am caught up on all the volumes.

      Delete
  2. I need to find time to start Fables. Lovely reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading The Wizard of Oz graphic novel style next week! All four available (: I have a goal to read all of Fables (up to date) this year. Glad to see you love the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to finish up the Fables this year too. In fact... soon I should finish them.. after I catch up on the Jack stories then I'll jump back into the Fable ones.

      Delete
  4. Oh, Fables! I forgot I was going to start reading them like 2 months ago! Thanks for the reminder haha. I didn't know there was an Oz story... interesting. I am more excited for the initial series and the Cinderella spin-offs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Cinderella spinoffs were fun to read. It's fun seeing her not want to be thought of as a princess. Plus... speaking of OZ Dorothy is in the Cinderella spinoffs!!!

      Delete
  5. I really miss reading comics. I've been so out of the loop that I don't even know what's out there now. I should just find a new series and enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't able to really get into comics until the New 52. They started all the series over with volume 1 so I was easily able to start in a good spot and end when the series is over. That is a good place for you to start.

      Delete
  6. Good reading! Love all those series!

    Thanks for signing up for the Graphic Novel and Manga Challenge. Thrilled to have you with us! This post would qualify as your first books read however your sign-up link needs to post to a direct link not your blog.

    Rules:
    "Please write a sign-up post on your blog and then sign-up below with a link to your specific sign-up post (NOT to your home page)."

    I tried to find your sign-up post and fix the link myself but couldn't find one. I've deleted your sign-up for now, please come back and enter the correct links:

    Sign-up post: http://graphicnovelschallenge.blogspot.ca/2013/11/graphic-novel-manga-challenge-2014-sign.html

    January Reviews: http://graphicnovelschallenge.blogspot.ca/2014/01/january-2014.html

    Nicola (GN & M Host)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh humm.. bummer I did it wrong. I'll just keep a tally on my blog. Sometimes I try not to spam my readers... I saw so many people have like 12 new blog posts for all their challenges and didn't want to do this. Now I know why... all the challenges must have the same rule. I suppose it's to spread the word. I have added it to my Sunday Post this week so maybe I'll link that up.

      Delete
  7. Not a fan of the new Superman story huh? I haven't read those yet so I won't get my hopes up. I do really want to read the Catwoman books now though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The catwoman book was really really good. I was quite surprised by just how good it was. The next two just came into the library today. I have like 12 graphic novels to read in my house right now! Slow down!!! :)

      Delete
  8. For some reason I've just never gotten into comics (or graphic novels actually), but to hear them described like this I can't think why. They sound great... particularly catwoman. I might need to give comics a chance one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I love it that I think that some of the comics are more catered to women now. Yes they still can be drawn more for men (like catwoman) but the story itself is about a woman who is independent and trying to just become who she is. Of course there are villains and epic plot lines that are extreme. But super cool. You should check a volume out from the library first to see if it is even something that you like.

      Delete