Friday, January 24, 2014

Project Disney- The Sword and the Stone




Project Disney: The plan is to tackle all of the Disney films, re-reading the classic stories and tales that inspired many of them and to look at how the changes the filmmakers made, the new elements they introduced and the essential elements they kept. We will, of course, be talking about the films as movies as well, saying why we enjoy them and what some of our favorite moments are, but our focus will be on looking at them as adaptations. For the films that are not drawn from any one work we’ll be looking at some of the possible literary influences that we see in the stories.  Project Disney is inspired by Picture Me Reading.


"Woah-whut-WOAH" Project Disney this time is all about one of my favorite movies EVER The Sword in the Stone based off the book The Once and Future King by T.H. White.  This was always one my sister and I's go to movies growing up.  We love magic and wizards and witches!  I didn't think the book was too far off from the movie. I love the tales of Arthur so to see him as a boy is fun. Wart is Arthur and finds himself lost in a forest while chasing an arrow for Kay who is the son of his guardian. While looking around he finds Merlin (in the book Wart is chasing a hawk that Kay has lost).  Merlin knows he is coming, and I love the description of Merlin in the book.  Birds living in his hat, a spider going up and down from his head.  Humm.. who does this make you think of ? Radagast from Lord of the Rings????  The description of Merlin is exactly what Radagast looks like.. but with a pointy hat and a celestial robe.


In the book and the movie Arthur goes on several adventures where he is turned into different animals.  In the book Author learns about different types of governments.  Merlin is teaching him to be a King.  In the movie it's all fun and games.  Really who doesn't love the scene where Arthur learns about love.  I have to be honest, this book was tough for me to read.  It's the second attempt I have made at reading it.  I think I tried about 10 years ago.  The book is made up of four sections the first one is "The Sword in the Stone".   I thought that this book was just SO wordy.  It was good but then it was boring.. then it was good.  This Project Disney could be considered a fail.  Yep.. a fail.  I didn't finish the book ... I wanted to sooo bad.  I probably got through maybe 20-30% of the Sword in the Stone section. 


There are some great characters in both the book and the movie.  Archimedes is a wonderful owl.. smart and clever.  He friends Wart after some time of getting used to him in the book just like in the movie. Madam Mim is soooo great!!  I loved her so much as a kid and still love her now.  The duel between her and Merlin classic. Some people think Mim is a made up character but she does appear in the novels. Merlin ages backwards in the book and can't actually see into the future.  This blows my mind!


The movie ends very quickly.  There is the duel and then walla Wart goes to pull the sword of the stone for Kay.  Well... he goes to find a sword for Kay and sees that one and then puts his hand near it and it makes all kinds of light and sounds.  Then boom he pulls it out. Way too fast .. the movie was such a slow place and then over!  The ending should've been much longer.  I like that the movie has a boy for the central character which I don't think Disney does enough.   I wish I could finish this whole book but it is such a chore for me.  I just don't enjoy it at all.  You can actually read the Once and Future King online if you are interested.


If you have followed my other Project Disney's I always love to include the Annie Leibovitz pictures from the Disney campaign. I like the picture but I am not sure why Arthur is being portrayed as an adult.  I wish they would've had a child actor and a Merlin actor too.


Well let's end this with a Merlin spell shall we.... Higitus Figitus mitigus mum, hockity packity… pockity, wait, that’s not right.  Hitgitus Figitus mitigus mum…

Check out my other Project Disney:
Snow White
Cinderella
Peter Pan
Treasure Planet
Sleeping Beauty
The Great Mouse Detective 
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
The Princess and the Frog
Pinocchio 
Fantasia 
Beauty and the Beast
Lady and the Tramp
Alice in Wonderland
The Rescuers
The Rescuers Down Under
Tangled
Oliver and Company
Mulan
The Little Mermaid
Bambi
101 Dalmatians
Frozen
Fantasia 2000
The Jungle Book
The Emperor's New Groove
Aladdin
Atlantis
The Aristocats
The Lion King
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
Winnie the Pooh (2011)
Robin Hood
Hercules
Pocahontas
Dumbo
The Black Cauldron 
Mary Poppins
Lilo and Stitch 
The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad
Make Mine Music
Tarzan
Fox and the Hound 
Melody Time

12 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to read The Once and Future King for a while - glad to know it's something to look forward to!

    - Kritika @ Snowflakes & Spider Silk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh! Madam Mim :D I just love her! That battle between her and Merlin was my absolute favorite part of the movie. I remember as a kid thinking please go dragon and getting my wish. I'm thankful that this one is in my Disney collection so Zane has been able to enjoy it too. Thanks so much for sharing :D Jaclyn @ JC's Book Haven.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well... the book not so much. The movie YES! Though a lot of people enjoy the book so you just might. I can't get into it at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved (and still love) the King Arthur tales but for some reason this one never captured my imagination as a kid. I saw it a few years back, tho, and loved it. Not sure exactly why I couldn't connect with it as a kid.

    My Mom was huge into the musical "Camelot," so I watched that / listened to that a lot, and I loved the various Arthur appearances in Marvel or DC books at the time. (Iron Man #150 is the ever-loving best!) And I had this great illustrated book (actually still do - just looked over at the shelf and there it is) by James Riordan that I read all the time.

    I've never been able to finish the book, either; I getcha' 100% there. One of these days. (Malory's as well.)

    I haven't really checked out the show Merlin, but it's cool that it's (apparently) found an audience. I'd like to see a proper Knights of the Round Table show or movie - so many great stories in there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sure you have read Fables?? The Arthur tales in those comics are fun. I haven't read the Iron Man comic... I am going to go out on the internet and do a search for it. I loved the show Merlin. It's finished now and I watch every season. I thought it was really fun.

    I do really like the book the Mists of Avalon. That one was great. The Once and Future King is a hard read. My sister adores it and I just look at her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fables is fantastic, definitely. I only read the first 5 or 6 trade paperbacks but need to do a proper run-through!


    Good to know re: Merlin, as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here's a fun blog on Iron Man 150:

    http://bronzeagebabies.blogspot.com/2012/12/medieval-times-iron-man-150.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had to read The Once and Future King for school, and I really disliked it. I don't know why I dislike the Arthurian legends so much. These books should be something that I love. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have read a few other ones that I do like... but this one snore. It would've been awful to read this one in school. I think my sister did for her college class but she likes it so .....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow!! That is a great post. I love how much detail it has. I love the artwork too! I wish more Marvel/DC crossed over into this world!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is my second favorite Disney movie. Saw it at the drive in as a kid. I remember because the first time I saw any of it we were there to we Creep Show, and part of me was grossed out enough by that movie, I would turn to the screen showing this, even if I couldn't hear any of it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. HA! I love this story. I really love love Sword in the Stone. Perhaps it's the part of me that loves Fantasy. I have always loved Merlin and I suppose this movie is what introduced me to Merlin and to the Legend of Arthur. I still wish I could've finished the book... I want to love it. I WANT to love it. But it is just soooo dull to me. It is the only Project Disney book that I was actually unable to read.

    ReplyDelete