Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Comic Adventures Issue #3


I read a lot of comics and rarely review them here on the blog. That's because I really don't have a lot to say for an entire post.  So I thought I would review several comics on one post.  I will still review graphic novels on their own now and then, but this is where I will talk about super-hero type comics (DC/Marvel) or sequels to some that I have already reviewed.

This time around I've read a few great graphic novels. One I received from Netgalley for free for an honest review, Mass Effect Foundation Volume 1Justice League Volume 3 The New 52 Throne of Atlantis, Jack of Fables Volume 2 Jack of Hearts, and Nightwing Volume 2 The New 52 Night of Owls.


I was a big player of the Mass Effect games.  I played all three and just really had a good time.  So when I saw Mass Effect Foundation Volume 1 (by Marc Walters, Tony Parker, Omar Francia) on Netgalley I totally requested it. Looks like the volume includes issues 1-4 from a 13 issue arc.  I thought this comic was OK.  I think if you are not a Mass Effect video game player you won't like it at all.  You will probably be confused about the universe. This is supposed to be an origins story I think but so far we really haven't seen a lot of characters yet.  Maybe if Volume 1 had collected more then just 4 of the comics it would've sucked me in more. I thought it was a really short volume.  I really liked the art so that is a plus!  2 out of 5 stars





Next up we have volume 3 of the Justice League New 52 Throne of Atlantis by Johns.   I really enjoy the Justice League comics that have come from the New 52. I love the artwork in this one as usually.  So amazing to see. Superman and Wonder Woman still have a relationship going on which is fun to read about.  I do think you need to read the Aquaman comics before reading this volume.  You don't have to... but it will add to your enjoyment of the story since the main villains in this are from those comics.  I also really love the interaction between Batman and Aquaman in this as each deals with wanting to lead the Justice League.  We also get a story of a Wonder Woman villain Cheetah which I remember loving as a little girl.  Great comic!  5 out of 5.






Batwoman Volume 3 World's Finest The New 52 by JH Williams and W. Haden Blackman, wasn't as good to me as the first two volumes in the series.  This one went a little bit in a strange direction.  Some of the art was a little too complex for me.  I was looking all of the pictures trying to find where to read next.  Wonder Woman appears in this issue and maybe that's the problem. I just don't love a Wonder Woman/Batwoman team up.  I am sad that the creators/writers have left the series.  They had a disagreement with DC on where Batwoman's relationship was going to go.  The writers wanted to have a wedding between Batwoman and her partner in the next issue but DC declined on this plot. The writers remarked that they were not allowed to expand Killer Croc's back story, keep their original ending, or show Kate (Batwoman) and Maggie (her partner) getting married.  DC announced that Batwoman cannot get married because "heroes shouldn't have happy personal lives".  3 out of 5



Jack of Fables Volume 2 Jack of Hearts by Bill Willingham (a spinoff from the Fables comics) was great.  I really love Jack.  He is a man whore but luck always gets him back.  In this issue we get to see when he is Jack Frost.. a hilarious story.  I like sometimes when Jack actually speaks to the reader while telling his stories.  One page there is a drawing of him looking back at us and it's so funny. I have noticed a lot of reviews about Jack of Fables where people don't like these comics as much as the Fable ones but that's because I think these are more humorous.  Jack lives life on the edge and just doesn't care.  He only wants sex from woman and he wants money.  I think the authors do a good job with this though. Jack is a jerk and usually ends up getting maimed.  If this is not your style then you won't like these comics.  But I like the gritty humor.  5 out of 5




Well that's it for comics this time around... can't wait to read what comics come into the library next!!

I am now up to 9 books towards my Graphic Novel Reading Challenge!
  Bout of Books

14 comments:

  1. Like the blog. Will definitely follow would appreciate you checking out mine.

    On a side-note, am really looking forward to reading throne of Atlantis (come on paperback). Have been reading both justice league and aquaman pretty devotedly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did stop by your blog... yea for blogs about comics. I don't find too many so when I do find some I love to read them. I have been on such a DC kick lately. I need to branch out into more Marvel/Dark Horse.

      Delete
  2. I just ordered the first volume of Batwoman and am looking forward to starting it. I am going to pass on the Jack of Fable series I haven't really liked him so far but can see why others do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Batwoman is a comic I am really loving. I don't know what will happen when there are new authors though. We'll just have to see.

      Delete
  3. Great books! I'm way behind on justice league :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Justice League is one of my favorite DC ones so far. I love to just see everyone together and this one even branches out to the lesser known members. Fun fun.

      Delete
  4. This is a great idea. I feel the same way, I read a bunch but dont add them to the blog! Great choices by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea... I didn't want to spam people with graphic novel after graphic novel. So I though by doing a post like this every couple weeks it would be perfect!

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed the throne of atlantis story too. Not sure if the vol included the Aquaman tie-ins, but nonetheless Justice League New 52 series has not disappointed.

    Haven't given Batwoman any reads yet, but she still is an interesting character to me from the Bat-family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly... until the new 52 I didn't know much about Batwoman. I mean... you never really see her anywhere but you always see Batgirl. She is very mature and you can tell she is older. I like that about her too.... I don't feel like I am just reading about a teen or young 20 something. I think the Aquaman tie-ins where in this book. I am about to start Aquaman Vol 3 this week and can't wait. I love where his story is going.

      Delete
  6. I love the art for the justice league so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't really followed The New 52, I was always more a Marvel fan, but Justice League looks good. I may have to check these out... looks like a fun story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know where to start with Marvel. I heard they are going to revamp some and start back at issue #1. Marvel's New 52 gave me a great place to start reading. Prior to that I didn't know where to start with DC either. It can be tough to jump in.

    ReplyDelete