Monday, January 27, 2014

Hollow City by Ransom Riggs - Review

Let's be honest.. I thought the first book should've been a stand alone.  When I got to the end of book 1 Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children and discovered it was starting to sound like a cliff hanger ending I was bummed.  I wasn't sure if I was going to read the second book.  But I am glad I did.  Here is the goodreads description:
The extraordinary journey that began in Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children continues as Jacob Portman and his newfound friends journey to London the peculiar capital of the world. But in this war-torn city, hideous surprises lurk around every corner. Like its predecessor, this second novel in the Peculiar Children series blends thrilling fantasy with never-before-published vintage photography to create a one-of-a-kind reacting experience. 

Look at the cover.  Yea... pretty spooky and neat. These photographs that Riggs uses are what drew me to the book series to begin with.  Then as I researched where the pictures came from I was even more excited. He found them just at flee markets, and antique stores. I would really love to know though how many are edited.  I noticed when you try to look it up he is quoted as saying "some are edited".  But I suppose that adds to the fun mystery of the novel.

This story started out slow for me.  I was like.. ughh.. the story seemed to be written for the pictures.  Like you would read about a house on a bunch of logs.. which was only written to add the picture to the book. Then all of a sudden the plot takes off!!  I was totally sucked in by that point.  No more writing for the pictures to fit.. then it became a great story. I do think the book kind of had second book syndrome.  The entire book is a journey (first book spoilers coming right now) to get Miss Peregrine back to her normal self from the bird).  We don't even solve that puzzle till the end of this book.   I wanted that plot line moved along a little faster.


I do like seeing the Peculiars abilities becoming stronger in this novel.  We even pick up some additional characters though I didn't ever feel like their stories were that strong yet. I think this is a good magical realism book, and maybe even a little horror to it.  It's brutal and I love it. I feel like we don't see this enough in YA books.  The romance is still bananas to me.  Jacob and Emma in love?  That was his grandfather's love!  NOOOOOOooooooo.  It's like Han, Luke and Leia!

One of my favorite parts of the novel is being able to travel from place to place in different times.  The 1950s, the present, to even lands where animals can speak and smoke a pipe! This time around I am ready to read book 3.  There is an amazing twist in the story at the end and a great cliffhanger. 
There is still a movie in the works for Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. Tim Burton is set to direct it!  I haven't read the graphic novel based on the series yet either.  I need to do that.  It would be interesting to see this story drawn out. Read this book!


Be sure to check out my review for the first book Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.

The crystal ball says:
Clouds are covering! A read that lets me down every now and then but peaks out of the clouds!

*** Make sure your Disqus ID has your blog listed in your profile so I can visit your blog back, or leave a link to your blog. ***

24 comments:

  1. I didn't realize it was a series until very recently. I haven't read them yet but they look spooky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed the first book - didn't love it, but enjoyed it. But I'm afraid that I won't be reading more books in that series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't had a chance to read the first book, but I'm glad the second one eventually won you over! That book cover is really creepy - seems like Tim Burton is a perfect choice to direct the film version! And now that I know there is going to be a film, I should get started on the book as soon as I can!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am halfway through the audio book, and I am enjoying it more than I expected considering I too was disappointed that the first book wasn't a standalone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I honestly wasn't a huge fan of the first book, I found it odd and a little rambling, like Riggs forced things to happen. I think I am going to pass up this second book for now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I almost didn't continue. In fact... I am not even sure what made me continue. I like this book a lot better then the first one though that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I read book 1 I didn't realize it was a series till I got to the end of the book. Then I was like WHAAAAAAAA. They are a little spooky and that's probably what I like about them. I'd like to see more horror in YA.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't really seen any new information on the movie.. but if Tim Burton really comes through I think he will do great! Johny Depp will probably be in it. You can be sure of that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think this one is better then the first... I look forward to your review!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This one does that too... the forcing of things to happen to get the pictures in the book. That part I didn't love. Some of the descriptions of characters are just for the pictures... like this one of a dog. When I turned the page and saw the picture of the dog I rolled my eyes... like really? But it ended well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's great you found the second one pretty enjoyable and are excited for the third. I still need to read the first, but I hope to soon, as well as the graphic novel version of it. I believe my library has that one...
    Tim Burton is a great choice for a movie, based on what I know of the books!
    Lauren from www.shootingstarsmag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am not totally sure about the graphic novel, I don't love graphic novels that are based off books. But if my library has it I will for sure pick it up since it's free and won't be a big deal if it's not any good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I saw Ransom Riggs the other night and it was amazing. He was such a funny guy and hearing how he came up with the idea for this story was really interesting. He loved collecting random photos at flea markets and decided to make a found photo book. He didn't even mean to write YA. I also love how a small publisher is succeeding here.


    I loved the first book. Can't wait to read this one. And TIM BURTON is a perfect choice for direct. I really hope it becomes a movie.


    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I totally agree it should have been a standalone, I say that without having read the second one, though. I liked the first one, but I just don't see it... the same thing with the movie option. It's because, like you, the pull of the first book was primarily the photographs. I just don't know how long it's sustainable.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is exactly how it felt, forcing so the pictures worked, and in the first book the whole Uboat part was just odd.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I had no clue where the second book was going to go. It was nice to meet and see other peculiars that are in other loops and even what happens to them when they allow themselves to age. I liked that. I wonder if they will somehow try to include the pictures in the film somehow. Plus... in my mind I picture this movie as a black and white film since all the pictures are in black and white. It will be odd to see it in color.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have had the first book for ages, but never got around to it. I was surprised there was a sequel too, but I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it! Especially after being a bit doubtful going into it.

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
  18. I felt the same way in book 1, that the book was being written just to force in the pictures at times. I didn't LOVE the first book, but I liked it okay and do want to read this 2nd book to see if this series is for me or not. I also find the grandfather's ex whatever romance to be icky. And weird. But I did love all the peculiar powers and wanted to know more about the kids (where they came from, back stories etc.). So hopefully my library will get this one in for me so I can see all the new pics :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. That whole grandpa/boy/ex thing is yuck. I can't stand that thrown in. I mean... I don't know. Then again this girl is 80 technically dating teens. So that is odd too. I guess you just have to throw that to the wind. It's like Twilight, I remember when I read that Jacob was in love with a baby I about died. And then I disliked the last book in that series.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cool!!!!!

    It's great to see a positive opinion for this book, because I haven't had the chance to buy it yet and I really enjoyed the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm so sad and upset at myself for still not reading the first book. It's on my shelf! I just never seem to pick it up. Anyways, really glad you enjoyed it! Can't wait to see what you think of the third book and of the movie!


    Lisa
    www.turningpages94.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I liked it a lot. Actually better then the first. I would recommend picking it up!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I haven't seen much more about the movie... so I don't know if it is on the back burner or what????? I think it would be a neat movie though! Like a Coraline feel to it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great review! Please check out my review here....

    http://liveloveandlou.blogspot.com/2015/01/2015-reads-hollow-city-ransom-riggs.html

    ReplyDelete