Saturday, January 25, 2014

Book Blog Walkers January Check In



I was so happy when I stumbled upon Book Blog Walkers. The Geeky Book Bloggers Blog is the host so pop over there for all the details if you are interested in participating.  I have a lot of fun with the twitter hastag #bookblogwalkers .  Everyone keeps each other motivated .. it's fun.

So this month I have been doing pretty good keeping up with my fitness goals. I was never a jock girl.  I didn't play sports and hated the gym.  I have always been thin so no problems there either.  But as I've become a little older I can tell I need to work out.  I have been going to the gym for a few years now, so that is another reason I love this because I can share with others how I've been working out.

I typically go to the gym... which has great views.  This is looking outside the aerobic room. You can kind of see footprints of people crazy enough to run outside on the track in the snow.


This year I am trying something new.  On the days I don't make it to the gym I will either walk outside or do a workout video.  We have some videos for a while now, a couple of Biggest Loser ones.  So I gave it a go. WHAT!  I thought I was in shape till I tried this video!  This type of workout is totally different then the gym (where I do the bike/elliptical/weights).  I was soooo sore after doing it!


In 2014 I am also started Yoga.  My grandmother who does Yoga gave me a wonderful starter book for Christmas.  I am really glad I tried this at home before taking a class.  Yoga is much harder on the body then I thought.  I really love this book though.  It has a DVD, and really explains everything.  Even has guides for each session that you could take out of the book if you wanted.  I thought this was going to be so easy ... PLEASE.  I have a long way to go this year with Yoga but am excited to keep it up.  I haven't bought a Yoga mat yet, I need to make sure it is something that I am actually going to do it.




Well that is my check in for #bookblogwalkers this month.  Be sure to be on the lookout at the end of February to see what I have in store that month. If you want to join up be sure to check out the hashtag #bookblogwalkers on twitter. And stop by The Geeky Book Bloggers Blog to get more information!  Go walkers!!

Want to get pumped up ??  Check out this fun Arnold video:

18 comments:

  1. Good luck with your fitness routine. It is hard keeping it up but well worth it. I love yoga the concentration when combining the poses and breathing is so relaxing, I always feel chilled and good afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A couple years ago, I cancelled my gym membership so that money could go toward getting an elliptical for my home. I'm still happy with that decision, but the variety of my workouts has taken a definite hit. A friend asked last night if I want to start doing Zumba with her (she can bring a friend to her gym a couple times a month) so we'll see how that goes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you brought this to my attention! I used to walk like 20 miles a week, then things happened and I got out of the habit. I will have to try to sign up and use this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been slacking on my fitness lately. But, I'm happy to see you doing so well. This is a great idea for bloggers to support other bloggers. I'm pretty thin too but I know by now that doesn't guarantee I'm fit at all! Good luck with yoga [:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes yoga is definitely painful. I thought the same thing!--thinking it was easy until I tried it on my WiiFit and oh heck no. I am not that flexible and I can't balance so easily. I applaud all those people out there who have perfected yoga--because it is definitely a work out.

    Haha weeeeeell I'm a couch-potato teen but I do know I need to exercise occasionally, hopefully my sister drags me out to do tennis with her again, because I need it!

    Good luck with the work outs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't really been able to do the breathing in the Yoga yet. The book does say though that when you start you will be more focused on the moves and will build up to focusing on the breathing later. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to do Zumba. I spied on a class one time when I was at the gym... they go for a whole hour!!! I don't know if my endurance is good enough yet for that class but I would like to try it because I love to dance.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL... I know.. just because I am thin doesn't mean gravity isn't making my thighs flabby. The only good thing about being thin is that I don't have to worry about what I eat. That is a total plus!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it's fun... and everyone really gets to chatting on twitter during the week and supporting one another. That is something I have really enjoyed. Seeing everyone's pictures and even reading about other people's progress.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I was a teen I never worked out. I don't regret a day of it either. I didn't enjoy athletics and still really don't. My sister was on the drill team in high school but I couldn't be bothered with that. You are young... you don't have to worry yet about areas sagging. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, you are ambitious! I've taken a few Yoga classes and I want to take some more. I also kind of want to try the Sean T. workout.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have thought about doing Yoga classes but I wanted to try at home first. I am nervous I'll get in the class and look like a total idiot. Plus I don't have a Yoga mat yet and I think I need one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm really impressed with this! I don't know if I can make the commitment, because well, school, and -30 weather doesn't appeal to me to walk in. That being said, I love to go biking and I'm going to try to do more of that. I think I'll try skating more too.


    Yoga looks really hard. I remember at one point I downloaded a Yoga app on my phone and used it for a week before I gave up after my arms burned :P Since then, I've tried to be active in ways I find fun- dancing to music, speedwalking & biking.


    Good luck! Also, WOW mountains! What a gorgeous view. :)


    -P.E. @ The Sirenic Codex

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have really been enjoying this. I have been going to the gym for a while now but this makes it a little more fun. Less tedious. I enjoy sharing with others some of my discoveries along the way to being fit. I didn't get to the gym much this week but plan on going next week for sure.

    We can be really cold here too, and I don't enjoy walking outside in the cold. In the summer though I love to go for a walk in my neighborhood and have 1 mile mapped out (I drove around in my car to figure it out).

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are doing great!! I'm getting a bit bored with just walking so maybe I'll look at my Zumba DVD's that I *cough* never opened lol. I'm one of those thin people too, but had zero fitness (and flabby thighs and butt lol) after getting a virus that affected my heart and no exercise for 6 months. Loving this group, it's so motivating :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that your grandmother does yoga! And awesome video! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh wow...I am sorry to hear that your health wasn't doing well. But at least this group helps you. I like it too. I really don't know any girls who work out so I have no one to talk to . Though my sister has been doing some work out videos from youtube so she and I text back and forth about it (she doesn't live here). Good luck with everything!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks!!! She does do Yoga... wish she lived closer so we could do classes together.

    ReplyDelete